Pentane extracts!!

Everything really depends on desired end product. Most machines can’t do everything. Pick a path :slight_smile:

Anyone make a pentane cls yet?

2 Likes

Yep I used a trs 21 also

4 Likes

Epic. I was thinking of just running it passive under vac

1 Like

Do you do multiple washes through the column or is 1 pass enough?

Depends on what you’re trying to extract off the biomass.

6 Likes

Thank you bro

Would it be a shit yield doing crude extractions? Or would the loss of yield simply be less bullshit in the crude?

1 Like

Youre gonna have to winterize it pulls some gunk. Not sure on exact yields it seemed decent to me

2 Likes

I have read that pentane must be hot to grab some cannabinoids, especially CBD. It has been used for separations because of this property. I do not have experience with this but am looking at experimenting with some pentane LLE extractions. The terp retention looks attractive but not so much if we have to cook them off. Is there information available like a temperature/ solubility table for the cannabinoids?

2 Likes

2:1 pentane to BHO?
Or
2:1 BHO to pentane

Two parts solvent. One part solute.

5 Likes

2:1 Pentane to bho

1 Like

Thanks guys :slight_smile:

Hey there. Ive recently been getting into pentane but mostly on the post processing side of things. Better terps, easier purge, awesome taste. In my mind I looks at it as trading solvents. It comes out butane rich. I then add pentane. Comes up to room temp. In the oven with a cold trap. I bring my extract up to 130 ish degrees F. You can at that point see the butane evaporating out of the solution as it warms up. Remove pentane and bam. 24-48hr shatter. Shatter so far is what I’m most comfortable with purge wise. Ive had a couple of successful sugar runs and the crystalization and separation of the HTE is far superior to butane IMO.

1 Like

Have you tested this yet to see how many ppm are left? 130f seems rather hot to be preserving terpenes

2 Likes

At 130F that pentane would be boiling! :crazy_face::exploding_head::innocent:

2 Likes

And bringing those delicate terpenes with at vacuum.

OP, why do you need pentane to create shatter? Why wouldn’t you just vacuum the slab as it comes out of the collection. Adding pentane to your extract to purge butane is very counter productive.

11 Likes

I have 100 kilos of full spectrum cbd distillate that was processed using pentane by Ethos. Anyone have an estimate on its value. It looks real pretty on the shelves but I don’t need that many paper weights.

Indeed it would seem so. I dont do it all of the time. Only when need be. Foreign materials mostly warrent this. As I mentioned I mostly look at it as an exchange of solvent. The pentane evaporates at a higher temperature if I’m not mistaken.

Previously, and the way I was originally taught, it was pour and purge. Took about 5 days at 95f to be satisfied with the purge. Alot of degradation took place in those 5 days. After doing some reading on here with the help of you generous folks I read about other purging methods. Started pulling my shatter hotter and faster. But for less time. The extract is at 130 for the initial purge and flip, then another purge at 130 as well. I pull it until I can only see air being purged from the other side.

Back to the pentane part. Ive noticed if course with a butane extract, at 130 degrees will rapidly become quite thick and viscous. Counter productive to purging. With the pentane it allows the butane to escape the oil in a very easy manor given the viscosity is quite low. I’m only using 100-150 milliliters when ‘exchanging’.

Maybe I dont know any better. But ive been very happy with the results within a given time frame.

2 Likes