Pentane recrystallization

oh wow, approximately how long is it taking you to achieve completed crystallization?

Idk yet. Just dropped it from 1-1 to 1-.5 yesterday.

1 Like

Exciting, well please keep me posted. I will attempt to update my findings as well.

1 Like

I know pentane looses it affinity for other substances as it cools. Will putting this jar in a -85 freezer do me any good?

1 Like

Since THCA crystallization takes a long time, you’ll likely experience ‘oiling out’ before crystallization occurs

3 Likes

check Free (BUT OLD) Hemp Biomass-to-Isolate SOP (complete) using cryo EtOH, wiped film dist., with C7 (re)crystallization

I’m betting there is a cold crash in there…

1 Like

Thca, not CBD

1 Like

If I told you you could learn stuff applicable to crashing THCA by growing dextrose (sugar) crystals you would believe me right?

Without having looked, I believe you’ll find that SOP will have a cooling step.

I was encouraging you to try cooler, not necessarily -85, but -40 is common for folks crashing that totally non-applicable because it doesn’t get you high unless you get all jiggy with the acid on it cannabinoid.

K?

:joy::rofl::joy:

5 Likes

My problem is probably my my lack of patience. I’ve heard thca crashes slower than cbd.

I left it in the -40 freezer overnight. Since nothing happened it went in the -85🤷‍♂️

4 Likes

The colder you go the slower molecules move.

9 Likes

1000g distillate x 0.6 = 600mL heptane (for SPD distilled material)

1000g distillate x 1 = 1000mL heptane (for POPE_6.1 dist. material)

Here the two are mixed together using an overhead stirrer until the distillate is fully dissolved in the heptane. The mixture is then frozen. The CBD becomes liberated from the mixture and precipitation occurs forming a suspension of CBD in heptane with a “butter-like” consistency. This mixture is then placed into a Hochstrom filtration apparatus and washed with frozen heptane, leaving a fine white powdered CBD behind.

NOTE: In order to promote a more rapid precipitation, approximately 2-5 hours after the mixture is placed in the freezer the solution should be agitated with a hand blender and then returned to the freezer

seems applicable don’t you think?!?

certainly says “maybe I should try the freezer” to me…which was my point.

temperature cycling won’t hurt…

2 Likes

But the lower the saturation point is, at the same time.
THCA should actually crash faster as the temperature drops. But it will form smaller crystals (more nucleation points).

5 Likes

Google didn’t help me out much in determining if pentane or heptane loses it affinity for cannabinoids quicker as the temp drops. @cyclopath you got a salty spoon for me?

2 Likes

everything gets less soluble when the solution is cooled.

pentane is rumored to have less “affinity” for cannabinoids. I’ve seen solubility data for CBD in heptane, but haven’t seen the corresponding data for pentane.

5 Likes

Pentane starts to lose it affinity for CBD and precipitates it out as it cools to room temp. Granted, the terps in the thca are probably acting as solvent, but even taking those in to consideration the crash rate is much slower at a 1:1 ratio.

2 Likes

There is a solubility limit at any temperature below 50-60c.
It just generally tends to drop with temperature.

For CBD in heptane, it is about 14 wt.% at room temperature, and drops below 1% at -30c.
It is slightly lower in pentane, like about 12% at room temp.

3 Likes

Any idea on those numbers for thca?

1 Like

Why Google and ask for spoons? Just get it hot and cool it down. Play around until u figure it out. You can crash at nearly any temp depending on the amount of solvent. You can even crash by melting and cooling the oil with trace amounts of solvent

6 Likes

I’m actually doing all three at the same time.

5 Likes

1: 0.5 is still too much solvent and dissolved my seed. I’m gonna evaporate it down to about 1: 0.25 and reseed.

3 Likes