Pentane recrystallization

1: 0.5 is still too much solvent and dissolved my seed. I’m gonna evaporate it down to about 1: 0.25 and reseed.

3 Likes

2 weeks of slow burping and temp fluctuations and I think they’re finally growing! It’s down to maybe 10:1 oil to pentane.

10 Likes

Thanks for the update!! Happy to see some growth!

3 Likes

First try… did I go too fast with the evaporation and that’s why it sugared out?

5 Likes

I think I’m finally in the super saturation curve.

8 Likes

Went a little slower/colder

6 Likes

Anyone have a good Pentane supplier?

I think @SolventDirect is the cheapest I’ve seen and heard……

4 Likes

I had ordered from Lab Society but they were apparently back ordered and didn’t tell me. I’ll check out Solvent Direct. Do they ship from CA?

1 Like

I think they have several locations they can ship from. @SolventDirect_BigM works for them and maybe can answer you better than me.

4 Likes

thank you sir for quick responses!

1 Like

We have our main hub in LA and a second major hub in Oklahoma. Give us a call or text at 833-PURE-GAS (787-3427), dm me here, or order online at solventdirect.shop for all your lab supply needs, including pentane!

3 Likes

Hello guys,

Is there like different grades of Pentane in terms of how pure it is? What Pentane do you use? Some companies sell it for $170/5gal while some other companies sell it for $310/5gal. I wonder if there is a quality difference. I also see that there is like HPLC grade Pentane and stuff but probably not the best choice for the purpose because of the cost.

I wonder if anybody cleans their pentane before using it for ReX.
If so, how?
I know ppl clean their butane by distilling it or chilling it hard, but I wonder if this is necessary for pentane, and if it is idk if I can manage to distill it because I don’t want to introduce pentane to my butane distillation set up.
Does Pentane affect the final product in anyway compared to butane? like in terms of taste, smell, or anything (in terms of ReX of 95%+ THCA).
I am about to try some ReX in Pentane at a larger scale, and I just want to make sure I am taking the right steps.

Yes some do and some dont, you distill it.

yes, there are multiple grades like all solvents. hplc grade should suffice

1 Like

Thank you kind sir!

(Normal)NPentane.

4 Likes

Looking to give this a try with some smaller diamonds I have from some indoor trim very lightly remediated with T41. Think I understand the tek pretty well, got myself a mid sized Büchner funnel and some pentane.

My one question is this, do I need a refrigerant safe vacuum to hook up to the Buchner so I don’t blow up? Got a CMEP I’m not using if that helps, seems like overkill though. Also have a TR21 refrigerant recovery pump laying around.

Sorry if this has been asked in a beginner thread, thanks for any help!

1 Like

Just run it through a coffee filter. You don’t need to buechner filter it. Just fully dissolve thca and run through unbleached coffee filter

2 Likes

Pentane should filter through a buchner with no vac also. If u want to vac it you should use a vacuum vessel kind of like the opposite of an air compressor.

3 Likes

“so you don’t blow up?”
Use an explosion proof vacuum pump (expensive) Jeremy. Even better an air operated vacuum pump, or water aspirator vacuum (cheap). (google it)
Buchners are great but should be run under even just slightest vacuum. If not the solution runs the risk of working its way around the side of the filter paper thereby bypassing it. I’ve seen it happen tons.
The recovery pumps you mention are built for refrigerant recovery of refrigerant gasses that have lubricating oils added to them that lend to the life longevity of the pump used to recover them. They are not the best to run under vacuum and you’ll end up eventually messing up the seals and burning them out. I have 40 burnt out CMEP-OLs, that are now paper weights.

To rinse, wash, or filter your diamonds just use a simple cone gravity filter funnel with FAST flow paper, cloth etc.

Even better just get yourself a stainless kitchen sieve.

To harvest your diamonds, decant the mother liquor of from you miner or jar into a fresh jar and put off to the side with a lid.
In the original jar break up the diamond puck, add some fresh pentane to just cover the diamonds, swirl around fast the dump into the stainless fine mesh sieve thats sitting atop another correctly sized glass or stainless sized receptacle.
Dump the dimes into a glass baking dish and purge the residual solvent as normal.
Add the filtrate (this is the pentane wash that passed through the sieve) to the original decanted mother liquor and let it sit a crystallize into a second diamond crop.

Lastly, please do this entire process in a fume hood, and electrically bond and ground anything coming into contact with the tane or its vapors!!! yea… you can get away without doing it 99% of the time, but all it takes is one static spark to send yourself to the moon.

8 Likes