our first open source project, peristaltic pump

@Rambo and I have embarked on our first opensource project related to wiped film evaporation.

We bought our WFE with a gravity feed flask. it works but it sucks and requires a lot of babysitting.

We looked at a few solutions and some are very nice , but cost prohibitive. Peristaltic pumps are inherently simple so we decided to go that route.

So far we’ve tested with some liquids that are much thicker than heated crude and ha e had amazing results.

The all in cost for the setup is roughly $1300-$1500, still TBD.

All of our projects will include production quality software that allows you to control feed and temperature from the phone/laptop.

We will be running some exhaustive tests, designing a smaller chassis and dropping software on github in the coming weeks. We will update soon with a bill of materials and other options once we are satisfied it works the way we want.

I wanted to post early and see if folks had questions or requests.

25 Likes

Nice! So, y’all are building these from scratch? And designing the software?!

2 Likes

this is dope - pope wants several times that for their automated solution.

3 Likes

Sweet! This holds up under full vacuum?

3 Likes

Should as long as the squish tube is in good shape right?

5 Likes

how many rollers?
how easy is it to reload the tube?

1 Like

Depends what kind of tubing and what temp you run your vessel at

Cant really go over 80c with flexible tubing or itll start to collapse on itself under vacuum

1 Like

@densone my favorite tubing has been Norprene. It runs fine at 100C, has a long life span, and is relatively inexpensive.

6 Likes

@The_Lone_Stiller all off the shelf parts with custom logic controller. Software is all programmed in a language called go(made by google). Controller board is mini linux.

@Thetetraguy lots of testing to do but it should hold up under vac pretty well. Our next step will be a slightly more expensive positive displacement pump.

@downtheterphole 4 large stainless rollers. I’ve tested it with cold maple syrup and other viscosity they are much thicker than warm crude. Takes seconds to change tubing.

@cannabuilder thanks so much. will absolutely test it .

I calculated the volume of the feed vessel last night. it is 15L. A few hundred bucks more will get you 25L.

Other uses we’ve talked about

• steady feeding rotovaps
5 Likes

1 lever and 2 buttons and it opens right up

5 Likes

this one with the thicker wall?

Good part about that setup is literally never replacing tubes, and the fact it’s a gear pump.

Not trying to hate on this setup at all.

2 Likes

do you/have you used one? and do you/would you think its worth the large cost?

Have you used it yet? Depending on if you’re heating prior to or post pumping through the peristaltic pump, you may want a few more contact points between the tube and the rollers of the pump for more viscous solutions.

1 Like

Put a 4-20mA on that bad boy so folks can integrate it into their existing process controls.

Edit: Also, you will have to standardize the system for one type of hosing if there’s no on board calibration check. A recommendation would be to figure out a way to allow users to check if they’re calibrated.

Hosing choice is super critical here.

2 Likes

Yep, I mean, I personally would say it’s worth the cost. It’s pretty easy to clean, works reliably, and the tubes are metal so you wrap the tubes with heat tape and dial in temps easily, with no worry of collapsing.

1 Like

I’m actually building a gear pump version too! Just starting with most cost effective first.

2 Likes

RS485 and MODBUS my friend. Will give you more details soon!

2 Likes

The Ragazzini peristaltic pumps we sell can draw nearly perfect vacuum and run from -40° C to near boiling. That’d be one way to upgrade the setup, if anyone wants something more “bulletproof” while still maintaining the simplicity of a peristaltic: http://www.peristaltic-pumps-ragazzini.com/peristaltic-pump-rotho/series-and-models-for-industry/

2 Likes

How big are the pumps. they look huge in the photo? Can you share prices?

edit: Looks like smallest pump is minimum 33/L hr. Maybe good for FFE price pending.

1 Like