our first open source project, peristaltic pump

They’re definitely bigger than the pump pictured in the setup, but I wouldn’t say huge. The very smallest is about a food wide and 9 inches deep.

It runs $1,595. More expensive than the little guy in the picture, I’m sure, but it’s an industrial-duty pump made from cast metal, and designed for use in commercial process control systems, with a leak detector to automatically shut down if it detects tube rupture. With the -40° rating and strong vacuum pull, it may be useful to some looking for a “buy it once and forget about it” setup.

2 Likes

That is pretty heavy duty stuff compared to the Cole Parmer options that I use! I’d say give it a try. Also, don’t underestimate how quickly the crude will cool in the line and cause a messy traffic jam. Keep your tube length as short as possible. Also, 1/4" is good for a 6" still, you’ll likely want to go down to 1/8" for anything smaller.

Excellent point … was thinking about using this

2 Likes

First test with my pump. Working like a charm. < $1000 spent. Vacuum 40 micron. This currently looks like crap, while i wait for smaller parts to get made. But hey it’s a hell of a lot better than a gravity feed.

2 Likes

How fast can it push?
What are the flow rates?

1 Like

It can go pretty hard… I tend to run it at 7rpm. Out of 300. What are you trying to pump?

Couldnt you repurpose a old used one like from a plasma donation center or are you looking to patent your design(yes I know you said open source) in the future? @densone

Looking for something in the 0.1-2gpm area for feeding my FFE and perhaps discharging the liquids

1 Like

I enjoy building this type of stuff. I’ve contemplated peristilic pumps. But didnt think any tubing would still be flexible at the -40c conditions described above. Also what about the motor that drives the pump? Does it happen to be spark proof. The little ones I have, that made for creating a 7 pump auto doser for nutrient control has cheap motors that are definitely not spark proof.

I write code for both Arduino’s in C++, along with creating C# drivers for Windows 10 IOT core on the raspberry Pi’s for Azure cloud integration.

If anyone else does. I’d love to talk shop sometime :grin:

1 Like

I just set this up and I love it

3 Likes

I typically stay away from C except for very low level stuff and firmware, but do get dirty sometimes :slight_smile:

Been lurking on these boards for a bit, and would love to contribute to some open source projects here.

I’m actually working on open-sourcing code we have written that drives Hamilton syringe pumps and valves. The driver has some very cool features such as stall detection, adaptive speeds, etc. I believe it would be extremely useful to some on here.

1 Like

One of the classroom where I used to teach is an automation program, so I was lurking around at some of thier equipment, on top.of my digital tool box. I’ve been tossing the idea around of installing thermowells in my equipment and using air valves to start gathering empirical data while operating the CLS.
To start looking at air powered automation controls.

I have a couple of highly skilled welders, and a mechanical engineer at the ready to start some mods. When I get to that point.

If not using some flavor of C what language are you using?

I use C for driving motors, interfacing with sensors, etc.

Typically all my automation code is written in Typescript / Node.JS.

I do machine vision and heavy data processing in Python for NumPy and access to GPU acceleration for machine learning / vision applications.

GUI is usually React or at least a web-interface with websocket API.

2 Likes

Somehow I knew you were gunna say python lol
I’ve actually never taken the time to check it out. I’ve been doing cloud automation with PowerShell and C# for the last few years.

I’ve installed Node.js for a few middle man scripts before automating Word document template generation. But that’s about the extent of it.

I’m glad to see another techy on here though wading through all the Chemistry :grin:

Have yall looked into cloud AI and machine learning? The cloud batch processing service is also pretty heafty for large processing jobs.

1 Like

We are using our collected cartridge pictures and have been running a few jobs against the data-set. But we still need a few hundred thousand more pictures before I submit a batch job to MTurk to make a training data set.

It is something we are actively working on, but other than test jobs we really haven’t used cloud processing. Our machine vision / training happens on-device thanks to the NVidia Jetson platform.

Heading out to meetings, but would be happy to chat more and work on a OSS project!

2 Likes

Depends on the pump, but the Ragazzini peristaltic I linked above is currently in an extraction facility pushing at -40 °C all day, and they’ve been on the same hose for almost a year. The person who built the facility is buying a few more of the pumps, and remarked that it’s pretty much the only piece of equipment in his lab that hasn’t broken down yet. Here’s a cross section of the peristaltic tube. You can see how thick it is. It isn’t possible to squeeze together with your hands.

The gear reducer on these pumps has a metric motor flange, so will accept any AC motor with the correct face. Baldor, WEG, Lafert all make C1D1 & C1D2 metric motors. We’ve used Baldor & WEG XP-rated motors on ours.

5 Likes

that is an endorsement!!

thank you @MichaelAtTCW

3 Likes

I started an iot blockchain company. Write c and a bunch of other languages.

2 Likes

Sure it would def work. Does head pressure matter?

Not really, maybe a couple feet, but if need be i can set it up higher