Other supercritical fluids?

Eyo!

I’m curious if there’s any other useful supercritical extraction fluids besides co2? Obviously there’s a reason people are using it primarily, but just a curiousity!

2 Likes

There s at least 7 other compounds that can become suppercritical water beeing one also but the temp at Wich iT is sucks
There are Maybe more but that Google can tell😀

2 Likes

Yeah I checked the wiki, but then noticed some regular gasses like nitrogen seemed to indicate it was possible, but there wasn’t much detail.

1 Like

propane

3 Likes

There is some work on different refrigerants, butane and propane are possible. I don’t know if there is any advantage. All the options other than traditional cannabis solvents don’t seem to be very environmentally friendly.

1 Like

Propane falling film anyone?

3 Likes

i haven’t seen anyone else with one :slight_smile:

1 Like

I keep trying to sell mine for half the price of these other companies and I’ve got no bites. Guess I’ll just use it myself…

@downtheterphole btw I saw one in use on a crude bho machine in a legal lab. It was only for speeding up recovery though

3 Likes

Ethanols as a co solvent in CO2
extraction not sure. If iT s also pushed to super critical levels

1 Like

Sounds like the supercritical level is about 616 psi and 204 f for propane

Super sketch

1 Like

safer than co2

1 Like

Propane maybe it isnt too scary after all

2 Likes

Care to explain how an explosive gas under pressure is safer than an inert gas under pressure?

2 Likes

I would assume it is because supercritical co2 operates at almost twice the pressure (1071 psi) at a minimum. And I dont think it’s that hard to vacuum out all the oxygen before pressurizing

3 Likes

unless there is oxygen or an ignition source in the system they should be identical.

2 Likes

I suppose at optimal operating conditions they could be considered identical.

Operating a supercritical fluid system has a lot of potential variables and issues. Most of these issues involve the bursting of a rupture disc that allows for the venting of over pressurized vessel. So I guess if accidentally dumping x pounds of propane outside your building is safe… then it’s safe.

3 Likes

Hmmm sounds like a flamethrower

3 Likes

How Many liters / kg of gas for a run on your rig ?
What size rig do You use ?
Sounds like a neat thing to try for terps.

Waters Dual 5L vessels with a P-200 pump and P-50 Co-solvent pump.

Can’t be specific about usage, unfortunately. R&D data is all confidential.

Alright get iT
But say You want to run propane how Many liters /kg would be a risk If all hell breaks loose ?