Optimizing your RotoVap

I’ve been doing it ever since posting that lol

1 Like

Has anyone tried doing this adaptation to the actual condenser? Thinking about using a 6x36 shotgun condenser on top of the main condenser on a 20L rotovap. Shopping for the rotovap now so I don’t know the dimensions of the glass port on the primary condenser. Trying to keep as much solvent out of our cold trap as possible.

1 Like

I actually have everything on the way to do this but on a reactor not a roto. Seems a lot cheaper and more modular than glass roto condensors

1 Like

I’ll race you! Just ordered some stuff to throw a 3x18 on our 30L. I’ll throw some pics/specs up on what it does for our recovery rate.

1 Like

Lol i got a head start already but hell yea Lmk what it does for recovery rate. I’m pairing it with a polyscience chiller. I’m adding a 3 way valve and another bellow hose between the bottom of the condenser and the keg but they haven’t come in yet.

4 Likes

That’s a pretty slick setup. It would probably be pretty sweet for catching terps during decarb depending on how low the chiller goes, especially if you’re pulling vac on the top of the condenser. I’m probably being dense but what purpose is the 3 way valve going to serve?

I don’t have a fancy cryo chiller but I do have a near endless (215 Rton) supply of 6C water from our building chiller. I’m running a grundfos UP43 which should push some pretty serious flow so I’m excited to see what she can do.

2 Likes

Thanks i got that reactor cheap af so i tried to come up with a way to use it for ethanol recovery because i hit a bottleneck on my 5L roto. Yea I’m pulling vac from the top of the condenser and just pumping hot water through the jacket until i get silicone heat transfer fluid. The 3 way valve will have the bellow coming from the reactor to it then the condenser on top and a bellow connected to the bottom which connects to the keg so it has a flexible connection and i can shut the valve and remove the keg. This same setup could be added to a rotovap but with a 2” tri clamp connecting where the condenser usually connects then connect that to a 2” 3 way valve.

I like your chiller idea that seems way more cost effective than buying a 10k chiller, you’d just need a good pump and more surface area on the condenser. What size shotgun condenser did you order?

I’m going to hook up a 3x18" that I have on hand and make sure the concept works and then probably order a 6x24.

We already use the chilled water for the glass condensers and it’s awesome. we have a 5kw bath with 6 immersion circulators in it and heat is still our limitation (running at 46C usually). I’m afraid to hook that big a pump up to a glass coil though.

The best part is that that monster literally cost less than $10k off Craigslist ($9500 baby!). It was kind of a bitch to get running because it was decommissioned like 10 years ago and we’re in for probably $50k with the cooling tower (also Craigslist) and associated pumps/piping but it handles 15k sqft of grow with ease and loads like this are a rounding error on its capacity.

Next up is running a drop from the 4.5M btu boiler to fix that heating restriction.

3 Likes

Nice my condenser is the same dimensions so this will be a good comparison. Damnnn that must be a beast of an AC to handle that much sq ft

Got some more pieces in

6 Likes

Is that valve t-port or L-port?

Unwittingly, the keg hack was my only real accomplishment in my entire time spent in hemp

8 Likes

It’s a valve t port. One position leaves all 3 directions open and the other just keeps the top and side open or bottom and side. I’m thinking about changing it up tho and just going from the reactor to the top of the condenser then have a npt valve from the keg to a cold trap then vac

Kegs are a game changer for sure

the hydroponic chill king chiller is an awesome idea. which model did you get thatll do -20 f? I cant find one for hydroponic application on their website. was it this one?https://www.hydroponics.net/i/136214
im looking for something to run on 2 50L rotos but that can potentially be able to handle scaling up too.

1 Like

wicked cheap 1.5" triclamp stainless braided hoses !!!

about 80$ for 72"

I posted it there first but I just saw those. Damn I love china

What’s the interior material?

didnt show preview

https://www.novatech-usa.com/18300199?gclid=CjwKCAiAtej9BRAvEiwA0UAWXoQju5QaJeFeDzcPcgFBzJtM2QlgY9aXXTb8GRo2fTHYg3cj0ipIJhoCAHIQAvD_BwE

or similar diy made injection port

all those make a stainless inlet for your rotovap. I didnt do it yet but I plan on doing it

That way you can use a stainless braided hose to feed your rotovap with a standard ball valve style shut off.

Instead of the dinky ass inlet stop-cock things

1 Like

You’re gonna need to fit it with a dip tube to get the fluid down in to the rotary ball.

1 Like

wait wouldn’t that just eliminate having to use this?

that’s what i would use to feed the rotary ball . i would have a hose attached to that

1 Like