Optimizing your RotoVap

This works great! Especially if you do a dry ive acetone slurry on the line going out from your chiller to the condenser, dont want to do it on the line coming from the condenser to the chiller because it can fuck up your chiller if it’s not rated to go that cold

1 Like

Well that’s if you’re going wicked cold on your return line to a chiller.

If you’re going makeshift, I was just using a regular ice water bath when I tried it with the return line back to my main resivour which was regular ice water. It worked like a dream because my main resivour wasn’t losing its heat transfer properties.

Again it still took long because of the temperature not being optimal but if you were pumping regular glycol you could probably find a good mixture/ratio of glycol and ethanol for the return line coil to get the optimal temperature.

Just don’t go so cold that you’re sushing your main resivour is my opinion.

1 Like

Fuck yea! Awesome man. You could use a much bigger condenser too, i read somewhere on here that if you have a big enough condenser you can just run tap water or well water over it

1 Like

That setup still makes me jealous af.

1 Like

Anyone ever think about using one of these for a rotovap? SMR® Maxi Cabinets - Global Surgical Corporation

Connecting the vacuum pump to the table then to the rotovap.

Specs

They custom fab wide cabinets. I wonder if they custom fab them to hold higher pressure and lower vacuum…

Could probably ask to add another vacuum line instead of pressure and have another vacuum pump doing filtration while you’re doing the roto at the same bench…

I highly doubt that…

Why?!?

2 Likes

Has a built in vacuum and pressure port you can fuck with

Right. …and costs how much?

1 Like

Idfk :upside_down_face::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::octopus:

Just some comments…

We use frying oil in the heater for the RotoVap, a type of veg oil that has a high content of oleic acid and resists high temperatures, which works as well as silicon oil but is much, much cheaper.

RotoVaps are not always sold with a vacuum pump. So one must usually buy a separate vacuum pump. But connecting a vacuum directly to the rotovap without a cold trap will destroy the vacuum pump due to the fumes of the solvents that are sucked into the pump. So make sure to also buy a Cold Trap or a vacuum pump that comes with a cold trap. A cold trap (aka vaccum trap) is a cylinder that is connected between the rotovap and the vacuum pump that cools down the fumes of the solvents from the rotovap to its liquid form before it’s sucked into the vacuum pump.

Also, if the solvent has a low boiling temp, like Pentane (36 C) then don’t use the vaccum pump as it’s not meaningful. For solvents with higher bp, like Toluene (111 C) then using a vaccum pump is a must.

This is particularly true of rotary vane vacuum pumps. It makes more sense to pair a chemical duty diaphragm pump with your rotovap.

9 Likes

One need to use low vacuum for pentane, through a vacuum regulator. And as @cyclopath recommends, chemical duty vac pump are a must.

3 Likes

Yep regulate to -15 hg. Anything more will be hectic

1 Like

Building a 16 kw 50 L rotovape :joy:

17 Likes

Of course you did. Nice

3 Likes

What in the open blast.

Nope want to try and make the flask a flash evaporation area by injecting solvent true a nozzle at 2 bar and pre heating the solvent 30% over it s bp temperature in a pressure vessel

6 Likes

Oh my god. As long as you’re going that hard on condensers pipe your inlet tincture through the bottom condenser then into your feed flask and use your chiller(s?) for the top three. With a large enough receiving vessel you may be able to run continuous instead of batch. Rotos work best when they are less than half full too so a trickle inlet may just do the trick.

Also, please don’t die.

1 Like

Might wanna do some U shape type condenser, i feel like alot of that recovered solvent is just gonna be bumping in ur condenser column, youll probably be limited by just how much can fall thru that bottom condenser

sick …the stairs in the photo is the best. haha

2 Likes