[Open Source Design Project] - Falling Film Evaporator

great info on this thread! I have a CNC machine shop so if I could be of any help to this project, I’d be happy to lend a hand…

2 Likes

Where are you located?

1 Like

Talk to a process engineer and hopefully you can find one in petroleum industry. They specialize in fluid mechanics. I’ll try to retrieve my old fluid mechanics book. it might take some time. If I can get it back than I’ll donate/ship it to whoever is brave enough to understandstand it.

3 Likes

I’m in wisconsin, temps here got to -50 this winter and seeing as my busy season is going to be winters I’m seriously considering putting saltwater tanks on my roof.

6 Likes

Where is your shop located and what type of work do yall do?

I’m located in WA.

I’m in Richardson, Texas…

Richardson, Tx. We are a CNC machine shop… mill and lathe work

1 Like

Job shop?

What do you use for cooling?

Feeling Hot Hot Hot!

Falling on Film
or failing on film,
or you know, whatever.

voices suggested that just like I heated my first CLS BHO rig with a hot water heater element in a 8" piece of 2" “black pipe” (actually ran in to that device today), I could power an FFE using 6" triclamp spools and these 3-phase heating elements.

https://www.glaciertanks.com/electric-3-phase-elements.html

if one used jacketed spools, one could insulate by pulling vac.

a 19" server rack could hold 6 of them which is over 100kw of 3-phase Hot Water heater.

which seems like a fair bit of atmospheric, air cooled FFE powering solvent begone…

one could actually convert say an Ex40 to a Exo72kw :wink:

Edit: pair it with one of their plate chillers in the appropriate size, and an air/water heat exchanger and your solvent reappears by blowing on it.

5 Likes

Why isn t steam used it s way cheaper and has a lot better thermodynamic propertys of exchanging heat on stainless steel

1 Like

Most are. We used steam for our RnD sled for convenience and safety reasons. But production models are typically steam

1 Like

Bc steam is scary

4 Likes

i love hot oil.

3 Likes

Prv s take care of that
But realize it transfers heat 6x beter than hot water

3 Likes

Yes absolutely it’s definitely a good option just imagine a heat exchanger blowing up and throwing crude+tinture everywhere…

My skills are not up to it
But i mirror much of what i do to industry and steam is still very much used
And what i like about it is that most prv and traps in steam setup s are mechanical very simple models with very high safety ratings
I wish i understood a faling film better
But i am a visual person see one working and i get it
Got to get my eyes on a unit :grin:

Using steam triggers another level of regulation…but yeah, it works better, and is therefore a more rational approach to the problem. Those 48" heater elements just look like fun :wink:

edit: DIY steam powered finger remover

2 Likes

Aha regulations
I noticed that by heating my jacketed
Still that connects to the internal coil with a 15 psi prv at the end speeds my distillation by 50% at least
And by fine tuning the burners i kan have most steam condense in the coil and have gravity return it to the boiling water

1 Like

now I want to light a fire under a defleg

edit: so conceivably the same style heat exchanger for boiler, evaporator AND condenser…just wow.

4 Likes