[Open Source Design Project] - Falling Film Evaporator

Where is your shop located and what type of work do yall do?

I’m located in WA.

I’m in Richardson, Texas…

Richardson, Tx. We are a CNC machine shop… mill and lathe work

1 Like

Job shop?

What do you use for cooling?

Feeling Hot Hot Hot!

Falling on Film
or failing on film,
or you know, whatever.

voices suggested that just like I heated my first CLS BHO rig with a hot water heater element in a 8" piece of 2" “black pipe” (actually ran in to that device today), I could power an FFE using 6" triclamp spools and these 3-phase heating elements.

https://www.glaciertanks.com/electric-3-phase-elements.html

if one used jacketed spools, one could insulate by pulling vac.

a 19" server rack could hold 6 of them which is over 100kw of 3-phase Hot Water heater.

which seems like a fair bit of atmospheric, air cooled FFE powering solvent begone…

one could actually convert say an Ex40 to a Exo72kw :wink:

Edit: pair it with one of their plate chillers in the appropriate size, and an air/water heat exchanger and your solvent reappears by blowing on it.

5 Likes

Why isn t steam used it s way cheaper and has a lot better thermodynamic propertys of exchanging heat on stainless steel

1 Like

Most are. We used steam for our RnD sled for convenience and safety reasons. But production models are typically steam

1 Like

Bc steam is scary

4 Likes

i love hot oil.

3 Likes

Prv s take care of that
But realize it transfers heat 6x beter than hot water

3 Likes

Yes absolutely it’s definitely a good option just imagine a heat exchanger blowing up and throwing crude+tinture everywhere…

My skills are not up to it
But i mirror much of what i do to industry and steam is still very much used
And what i like about it is that most prv and traps in steam setup s are mechanical very simple models with very high safety ratings
I wish i understood a faling film better
But i am a visual person see one working and i get it
Got to get my eyes on a unit :grin:

Using steam triggers another level of regulation…but yeah, it works better, and is therefore a more rational approach to the problem. Those 48" heater elements just look like fun :wink:

edit: DIY steam powered finger remover

2 Likes

Aha regulations
I noticed that by heating my jacketed
Still that connects to the internal coil with a 15 psi prv at the end speeds my distillation by 50% at least
And by fine tuning the burners i kan have most steam condense in the coil and have gravity return it to the boiling water

1 Like

now I want to light a fire under a defleg

edit: so conceivably the same style heat exchanger for boiler, evaporator AND condenser…just wow.

4 Likes

Nice pitty the damn deplegmators are so pricy got to find me a china producer

1 Like

nah, it just needs a little cleaning

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Steamaster-HP5-28-commercial-steam-generator-steam-boiler-STEAM-CLEANER-/153442402520

1 Like

now you get it :slight_smile: