Opaline Silica Thread

Edited post, information I read already provided in different link.

My read is the same process that makes opal stone also occurs with DE like ancient organisms. So opaline sand would be the amorphous media where as crushed opaline rock would be be a crystalline form.

That crystalline form is the one attached to scary SDS’s where as the amorphous form is what is considered GTG for cannabis processing due to differencein crystalline silica content.

2 Likes

Thanks as always, you guys have a very elegant way of explaining to a dummy like me.

That makes sense as well.

2 Likes

Wow. This subject has really blown up rapidly! Here are some photos of the real stuff:

It can look slightly gray or tan colored when it is still air moist like this, so I adjusted the color temperature a little to show you what it should look like after baking the superficial water out of it.

21 Likes

Haha, it looks like clay cat litter.

10 Likes

as a result of this conversation I would like to address a filtration tech that came up with
and can highly recommend
take your lid and have a 1.5 inch ferulle weld on the inside of your lid
place a 0.2um filtercartridge with triclamp ferrules on the inside so this is the final point where solvent falls inside of your collection pot
the cheaper cartridges can only handel 75 psi wich is very close to what we use
by placing the cartridge inside the collection pot
A if the damn thing collapses or blows it s contained
B the 75 psi is the difrance to outside and internal pressure and this is more easely
for the pressure diffrance is not that big so often
any decent sized collection pot needs this space to be void anyways for the 80% fill rule anyway s

6 Likes

It’s alright @Kingofthekush420 ! @Shadownaught deleted the ig post after talking with me to clarify I am talking about amorphous silica. Cristobalite, a crystalline form of silica that is listed as a class 1 carcinogen is very common in clay deposits, especially bentonite, so it is good to warn folks not to just go around trying any old high silica clay media! We definitely don’t want people dying of CRC poisoning the way they have been dying of a variant of popcorn lung from bad vape additives! He made the right call. This announcement has caused a bit more fervor than I expected at this point in the development of CRC technology, and people in stampedes are not known for stellar judgment, ya know?

13 Likes

Yep! And it could technically be used as such! So can corn cob gravel, sand, hardwood flakes, and probably even hemp hurds! :wink:

5 Likes

Is there any fine dust on this stuff, how fine do you have to filter down to with this?

Also, again, thanks for the picture, I was thinking this was a powder.

4 Likes

would you want to mill that down and sift to a specific particle size? or just use as is?

2 Likes

Celite 545 is a mostly crystalline silica product. Crystalline silica has all the same detrimental health concerns that cristobalite has, cristobalite just happens to be the natural mineral that is used as raw material for the production of celite. This applies to any silica product that is not amporphous silica.

So while celite 545 is definitely a carcinogen, its supposed to be used with care… in a fume hood etc. @anon86230761 its not the fault of the seller that someone uses their product incorrectly.

People die from improper handling of nitrogen tanks, are the gas companies who provide those tanks bad guys for providing a dangerous product? Or is it the fault of the careless indivdual who got hurt using that product improperly?

3 Likes

Cool story bro

I have waited too long to not post this

17 Likes

It blows my mind that you guys think Celite is good for people to use
And literally three replacements got posted today.

I dont use celite, i was more commenting in the spirit of what you were saying to killa. Essentially calling him a cancer salesman.

I dont know why you get so fuckin bent out of shape, lighten up. Civil discourse will get your point further than name calling or belittling someone

7 Likes

He literally stocks it just to piss you off. I’ve heard tell that he might start throwing in little goodie bags of celite 545 to ensure every lab in the us is 545’d out.

10 Likes

I wish I would have said more about cart cutting.
I was pretty vocal about that.
And I think everyone that appreciates what I said over the past few days about Celite and cristobalite also agreed with me on that topic.
This never needed anything in rebuttal or this crass attitude. It’s not a debate
I shouldn’t have to deal with these kind of people and comments when it’s not for that.
It’s for the guy that has no clue and someone told him to use Celite or WHATever And then he’s just doing it in his garage (which ironically is most of killas people).
It’s to help other people be safe.
Period
Im not here to talk to you guys like this or on this crap.

If you’re being safe coool
Don’t tell people to smoke acetone.
Don’t tell people to cut carts.
You shouldn’t even be talking on this who are you helping? The debates team about economics and ethics ?? Wtf?

4 Likes

Perfect example of why you shouldn’t even Be here. There’s People dealling with cancer

Man, you off the path big time.

I hope
Other people can see what you really about with what you just posted. Clear as day to me.

I’m here for your Jimmies good sir

8 Likes