Only Heads then Nothing SPD HELP

Looking for some help with a SPD problem.

Vac level varies from 350-550 microns during run, 1000ml flask over half full, mantel temps went all the way to 220 c while still just giving thick vapors and watery drip the whole time, spent 3 hours slowly ramping up temps. Varied the stir bar from 500-1200. The Glass and Mantle are from LABUSA and are of good quality. i’ve done multiple run with this equipment with no problems.

I’ve used this exact biomass in my previous run with no problems so i dont think that is the issue.

Very confused how i can get all the way to 220c, Crude is boiling in flask, vac level is around 350 micron, the BF and Neck is covered in stove top rope. The head condenser is at 55c.

Biomass extracted with 99% isopropyl alcohol, filtered and carbon scrubbed, rotary, winterized in methanol, rotary again, Then put into BF at 120c for about an hour till small bubbles subside. After that hook up the SPD and pull vac, from there SPD procedure as normal…

Before with the crude i would degum then brine wash against N-Heptane, then winterize in methanol, however i skipped that step this time.

Lots of you i respect on here very much, would greatly appreciate feedback! Thanks!

1 Like

Bring. mantel temp up to 240 at 350 mic that seem s more likely
Bring temp from. Condensor up to 80C minimum

2 Likes

Size brand and model of vac pump ?

1 Like

alcatel adixen 2021i is the vac pump

Considered bringing the mantel temp up, just scared to ruin crude

i’ll try to get the condenser up, using a cheap pump in my oil bath, didn’t want to push it too much but i can see what it can handle

1 Like

At what temp is the condnsor now ?

Don t be scared oil is better of short hot than long medium hot

2 Likes

I put the condenser at 55c and usually that will do the trick with the help of a heat gun sometimes lol

one this i noticed is a lot of red building up on the neck and condenser early in this run when before i’ve seen it towards the end

Ok fine leave it if you aren t sure it can handel higher temps

Hmm your heptane methanol skiped pre distillation steps ttakes most of that out

1 Like

Place some aluminium foil on the top part of the head yust to make sure your not cold

1 Like

i normally wrap aluminium foil around condenser but i’ll put foil on head too and then wrap in insulating rope

1 Like

How old was starting material?

I had an issue 4 weeks ago, and got hosed!

1 Like

Not even a year old : /

I used the same exact material in my last SPD

what happened with your run 4 weeks ago?

Asshat lied, said trim was 8mo or so old, was over 2yrs and wasted 30hrs and 400.00 of my time. I almost busted the 2l bf over his fn head when u handed him his sheet back.

And he foliar sprayed a sulfur product. That killed my trivac pump. Wont blank off under 1000 microns now, and smells like burnt ammonia.

Theres a thread about it.

1 Like

Sounds like the trim was secondary extracted. Meaning your working with spent trim. This is common bp raised issue where there more molecules present that aren’t thc than THC and therefore causing massive issues. The only way to fix is chroma. Or use a diffusion pump and Target the bp

1 Like

that is beyond frustrating! wow, i would be pretty livid about that, i dont understand how people can live with themselves doing such shady stuff

1 Like

i know who grew it personally and i dont think they did any extractions on it, ive run plenty of stuff the last couple weeks from the same crop with no problems : / do you think doing another round of winterization in the freezer ( i only did a room temp) and a LLE would also help or at this point Chromatography the only way to go?

So what s up ?
Winterizing is crucial !!!

Unfortunately can’t make it to my lab today :disappointed:, will resume tomorrow morning. going to do another round of winterization, i only did a 2:1 solvent:oleo, thinking there is more to grab as well as a LLE with N-Heptane and 4,9,7 brine water

Still perplexing considering others have mentioned success without winterizing

i’ve seen mention of a azeotrope that forms with cannabinoids and the fats that reduce the boiling point of thc, has me really questioning things

I would think the material is spent too if i didn’t have a good relationship with the grower, going to get to the bottom of this and give all the feedback I can

1 Like