Old school Honey Oil

That stuff had a unique but very pleasant taste and bouquet but I haven’t seen anything like it in the modern concentrate offerings. I’d love to know how they made it too.

2 Likes

Just plain old rso as far as I know. If you want to make it a little nicer you can winterize and carbon scrub.

3 Likes

No, very different than RSO. It had a beautiful red color and a somewhat floral fragrance. I had heard that it was actually made from hashish, perhaps from some sort of pressing operation not unlike a modern rosin press. It was very expensive and hard to come by.

1 Like

I remember it, it had a lemony smell and was really strong…u had to heat it with a lighter held close to it to get it to drip on your bowls or blunts…I always wondered how that was made I remeber it being really potent. Way different than bho.
Maybe it was a limolene extract since terpenes can dissolve thca more than butane…I would assume that’s were the potency and smell came from…just a guess

6 Likes

Back in the day before the word dab, old heads always called my bho honey oil and would start telling me all that back in the day stuff.

This was also before rigs, so we sat at the stove with a hooter and some knives

Edit: I am aware it is not the same

5 Likes

old school?

2 Likes

Qwet is the one

Yep, we used to use a heated paperclip. Just straighten one end and hit it with a lighter then dip in the oil and spread it on a rolling paper.

6 Likes

What i know of honey oil is that iT was Made of high quality hash ( no clorophyl)
IT was Made with a non polar solvent
And decarbed

2 Likes

Yeah I’m guessing it wasn’t a very complicated process. After all, this was 40 years ago and coming from third world countries.

1 Like

https://beyondchronic.com/2011/11/ask-old-hippie-how-do-you-make-green-dragon/

1 Like

Winterize and carbon scrub ? Not familiar with those terms, Thanks

You a real funny guy

Fuck the nostalgia. Modern techniques prevail. I’m doing consults for about $100 worth of items on my —> wish list
You will waste more $ than that trying to make your own meds without guidance.

That being said use the search bar and you can learn about ethanol extraction for free.

5 Likes

our old honey oil was basically an iso quick wash evaporated in a wok outside.
oh how times have changed.

8 Likes

it was definitely an alcohol extraction… the flavor and red hue was due to predominantly old school sativa land race strains being used… there of course were different versions and qualtites depending on who made it from where and with what

3 Likes

go looking for “red oil” in the data dump if you want to know the recipe they started from. or ask the all knowing one

1 Like

That’s incorrect,

Yes it’s an alcohol extraction but strains dont create red hue

Maybe those land races were all dried poorly…

1 Like

strains can definitely create a red hue… ive worked with a few sativa strains that came out straight red. do you have any alternative reasoning the color could be red?.. and i know its not just decarboxylation or oxidization… ive seen many old school honey oils, some red, some brown, some golden, some black just like old school hash.

5 Likes
1 Like