OKC will only allow listed/labeled booths

I’ll have my engineers call them. We have yet to have a booth turned down literally anywhere. John can handle this.

11 Likes

I meant as in approaching with a c1d1 built out to spec container, should be enough to be its own individual “booth” I would think

2 Likes

Unfortunately not. In fact, AHJs are less likely to admit a room as fire-rated if it’s built in a shipping container, because shipping containers don’t have established fire ratings (which is ridiculous because they are 14ga steel)

5 Likes

Not even if it’s a full container build, not room inside, dual fire retardant insulating/ walls/ subfloor. Then a build it hood from Hal or c1d1labs?

Ok firemarshall don’t want no one stepping on their toes :sweat_smile: shittttttt

2 Likes

sounds like the fire Marshall doesnt want to deal with extraction labs at all. Their solution is just denying all applicants until they leave town.

5 Likes

We had to deal with this in Denver for 6+ months trying to find an methodology for diamond creation that the fire marshall would accept at one point they guy literally told us they don’t want Diamonds made in Denver and we should leave town if we want to make it

1 Like

I’ve had a local FA give a list of corrections needed to pass inspection, only to have them come back and fail us for things not even mentioned on the last inspection when they could find no fault or issue in the completed fixes they requested.

When they have their mind made up about someone or something, seems damn near impossible to change. Have you (@TheGratefulPhil) tried asking for suggestions from the Marshall? If they don’t have one (aside from HAL), have you asked what other facilities have used with approval?

1 Like

I’ll continue to update what I hear from ol LRPIONEER seeing as he’s in okc I’m sure he has his hands in the oil already.

Same here, during this build out they would give us a list, we would complete and then they would come back and find a handful of things already inspected that were no longer up to code in their eyes. This was a ground up build so it was this way with every city inspector, fire, electrical, water, general building codes, and anything else you can think of.

HEADACHE!~

2 Likes

I hate this baloney. Had to deal with it in so many states. The job of the fire marshal should be to enforce the codes, not their own opinions. If they’re refusing to sign on things just because they don’t like them and don’t want liability, then they’re refusing to do their job and should be fired.

3 Likes

See the thing is, I’ve helped or fully designed facilities out here before (in fact I was born and raised in OKC) but the building superintendent (not the Fire Marshall) is holding this up due to a MECHANICAL dispute.

Fire, plumbing, electrical and building inspection have signed off on this. The building superintendent who oversees all these departments only disputes the mechanical aspect.

That being said, in OKC, interior facility renovations DO NOT require an engineer’s stamp.

Being an engineer myself, it makes for easy approval.

What’s happening on top of new facilities being hit with this new requirement is that old facilities are starting to call or message and say “Hey the building superintendent is telling us, two years later, that our facility is no longer compliant”

I’ve tried to do all sorts of code gymnastics, but nothing has stuck.

Additionally—the only NRTL allowed standard for cannabis extraction booths is ANSI/UL/ULC 1389. The only BOOTH that has been tested to this standard is HAL.

In my mind there is a clear monopoly here.

I dunno if there’s lawyers around here, but eventually there will be :eyes:

3 Likes

How much would it cost for you to have them come out and do this? When I had to do this (not for cannabis…in Kansas) it was about $11,000 including travel to and from Germany to get TUV to come out and certify the system and enclosure officially with UL.

End that monopoly - by paying to play? Is that really the only way…I sure hope not. But the way you list it sure does seem like it.

I will probably be dreaming about this later tonight. Haha! Its taking up a section of my brain until it is resolved.

Also - I was rereading the code today and this is what I found:

It seems to me perhaps that your mechanical dude has decided that the “approved” agency is UL.

The definition seems to have some wiggle room in it:

Perhaps he feels constrained to utilize only UL and maybe he would feel just as good if you could show him approval from another established and recognized agency that does this work?

Or even more - perhaps you could prove that there is no concealed mechanical work that needs to be inspected. At which point, you would not be under the umbrella of a “prefabricated construction assembly” with concealed mechanical work any longer?

I always hate bringing lawyers into things… I’m assuming you’ve already tried giving the man food and beer. Discussing it like civilized adults over football. And generally being helpful - to no avail.

Let me know if you’ve already tried the approach above - specifically proving there is no concealed mechanicals AND/OR showing that there can be more than just UL as the approved certifying body.

1 Like

From every interaction I’ve ever had with TÜV I would have expected another digit in there

3 Likes

Is it the cannabis tax you think? Or something else. This was 2011 - so not even that long ago, I would not expect a 10x increase anyway. The only reason we used them and not UL was because UL was unavailable for like 5 months and we could get TUV here faster.

Things are different with Covid…I cannot imagine them flying here for that - is that even possible. But why not UL? Why not get the enclosure listed - if the other methods are failing? Why not have the manufacturer of the enclosure get the enclosure listed? I mean before when a standard did not exist, sure do it on your own, but the industry is coming so far and standards exist now for so many things.

2 Likes

My experience was for functional safety assessment and SIL hardware rating so not really applicable here, just pointing out they’re not cheap. It was not related to cannabis, circa 2017

1 Like

@SidViscous @Cassin

I called both TÜV and SWRI and a few others today, and none of them test to UL 1398 :fearful:

It seems, so far, that UL is the only one that will test to this specification. It costs $400 for the standard but considering how unhelpful UL is for pretty much everything, I’d hate to give them money.

As far as communicating the AHJ, I’m hoping to have a conversation with him and a professional fire engineer (who is the freaking man) and find a diplomatic solution to the issue. I’ve tried every form of kind and professional communication with absolutely no wiggle room

3 Likes

reasons like this are why I’m happy you’re in Oklahoma.

3 Likes

The bitch of it is the building inspector can pretty much make you do whatever he/she wants. Codes are a minimum requirement.

4 Likes

Hey everyone!

Good news, we have literally NEVER had a booth turned down with a purchase. The key here is hiring the right permitting team or allowing us to talk to the city for your licensed architect (yes the more credentials the better).

Dm us on Instagram if you ever want us to contact the city and get your approval. We are currently at a 100 percent approval rate!

Alex
C1D1

9 Likes

Just so everyone knows, @c1d1labs has provided extremely thorough and reliable help on this issue—their team has taken it upon themselves free of charge to help me resolve this dispute.

Like I said previously, I’d not be excited to give my money to HAL, and Alex and C1D1 labs is taking as many extra steps as needed to ensure that their booths will be accepted in Oklahoma City.

I have and will continue to recommend them for all booths.

Just FYI

12 Likes