OKC will only allow listed/labeled booths

Hi All,

Usually I’ve got the code down like nobody’s business—but the building superintendent in Oklahoma City is jamming me up like no other.

The superintendent is saying, in no uncertain terms, that my hazardous location enclosure MUST be “labeled and listed” … in code language this means that a 3rd party company (not 3rd party engineering peer review) must have previously tested the equipment for its function as a hazardous enclosure for cannabis extraction…

Currently, the only nationally labeled/listed booth I can find is HAL.

Here’s the deal though: I cannot find a SINGLE reference in IMC (International Mechanical Code) that explicitly states: hazardous enclosures SHALL be labeled and listed.

So my question is: has this happened to anyone? Does anyone have any excerpt from IMC that would counter the claims of OKC’s building superintendent? Does anyone have suggestions on how to move forward if there are no codified solutions?

I’ve done this shit in some easy and some very difficult locales—OKLAHOMA CITY has been the toughest so far.

Edit: gotta tag the dude @Dirteagle

1 Like

FYI UL1389 is the listing for these prebuilt booths but it is still provisional so technically even though HAL started the UL listing, they are still not UL listed.

3 Likes

Without having looked at the local code, I have a hunch. Due to unfortunate events in 1995, and the subsequent investigations and engineering analysis, OKC officials got a front row seat to blast protection engineering and code minutia. This experience is likely why the inspector/department is demanding labeled and listed equipment, even if not explicitly mentioned in the local regs or IMC.

7 Likes

When you say “hazardous enclosure” are you referring to just the control panel, or the whole extraction container complete?

1 Like

The entire extraction enclosure is what they’re considering for listing…

Even each individual component is listed for its purpose, it is not sufficient

Pod company in LA near XD seemed super nice in the lab I just toured outside of Tulsa

Is this OKC specific? Everyone told me to dodge OKC 100% for property

Out here in Colorado, the issue has to do with flow testing. Engineering air flow over surfaces and turning air over is one thing - seeing it work in practice is another.

Our county, doesn’t have the capacity to do flow tests over surfaces, so it was easier for them to just make it “Use one of these vendors”.

I’ve heard that actually passing one of those flow tests is a nightmare that will end up costing you more than you would have spent on a HAL, but no personal experience with it.

Basically, you are paying the “Green Tax” to HAL.

I should have made hoods instead of extracting… lol

1 Like

There is no way Hal is the only ul listed booth. Maybe for cannabis related but there are thousands of paint booths across the country that are ul listed. They are c1d1 rated cause micro drops of paint is very flammable. Just find a company that has ul listed spray booths and add the butane sensors ect. You will have to get the OKC City to see there is no difference between the 2 so good luck!

3 Likes

Yes this happens with some inspectors. Technically connecting two or more components requires the full system to be UL listed. Most of the time they will allow things to pass without a system level certification.
Ask which issues he is getting hung up on and see if you can tackle them individually to satisfy him.
You can pay 2-4k for a UL field labeling service, but you have to really get everything squared away for them to basically come sign off and give you a sticker.

2 Likes

Let me clarify…they are NOT accepting booths that are UL listed for paint applications…they must be listed specifically for cannabis extraction using hazardous materials.

Also, for anyone reading, the listing and labeling company can be any NRTL: National Registered Testing Laboratory

Edit: HAL is the only UL listed cannabis extraction hazardous location enclosure. At least according to the UL records…Idk if you have inside info that I don’t :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

3 Likes

@c1d1labs you have any inside info on this subject?

3 Likes

I had this happen to me once in Kansas - it wasn’t cannabis, but it was a closed loop, potentially explosive process that required certification. I tried to fight them with specifics about design in IMC and IFC. I tried to fight them by showing them existing equipment in their city which had already been approved. Nothing appeared to work. In the end - I brought TUV (because they were available and a licensed NRTL) out, they did all the tests as prescribed and boom, certified and labeled the entire suite, all the equipment in the suite (which mostly was already labeled), and then I was able to actually hook everything up to utilities and my customer could start processing. Specifically, the generation of various azides which have seriously low ignition energy requirements and also just like to blow up whenever they get squirrely for no reason.

The time I lost trying to fight pushed me over my timeline and cost me stupid amounts of construction and engineering dollars. I don’t like being over budget and timeline. If I could do it over again, I would not fight, instead I would just call the NRTL and get them out here to certify what my team had designed.

Plus if you designed the booth yourself - then you can sell that same certified design to others as long as you do the FAT stuff that is defined.

Sure hope that you can get this through - I heard similar things to @moveweight about not going to OKC for many different reasons.

Here’s the sections I tried to use:

IFC 911.1 - Specifically design the enclosure to be surrounded by a barricade as defined here. Treated the enclosure and the equipment within the closure not as a standalone room, but as a modular attachment to the building. Showed that all surrounding surfaces met the requirements specific for walls, roofs, etc. We were not venting the potential explosion way, but instead had designed the building around it to contain the explosion. You’ll have to decide if its flammable gasses or potential for explosion, or both that you must contain here. But once you show that you have done so - then your building would meet the IFC and NFPA. The key here being that it is not “an enclosure” but it is instead an extension of the building. Probably they won’t let you, but you are fighting instead of bringing in NRTL or buying from someone else that has listed with NRTL.

I also tried to get them on “design of equipment” - that the equipment itself had all intrinsically safe components and that the reactor was explosion proof even if something failed. The equipment came from Germany so it was ATEX rated - and it was actually rated for almost 3 times the size of the explosion because the original design was for a different type of chemical reaction and ours was less explosive.

Amazingly enough - the UL guide that HAL has there stuff under, points to some of the same sections of the code that I ended up having to use when we brought out TUV. Including changing some of the electrical wiring and enhancing the barricade, instead of using the venting. I’m sure you saw that guide with all its references to different codes.

Please keep us up on how you get through this process. I’ve had two projects where it was actually cheaper to move the whole operation to a different place than it would have been to jump through the hoops of the local inspector. I sure hope that’s not what happens with your project.

1 Like

Me and him have been working on this exact issue for the past month.

What about skipping the booth entirely and building the room to c1d1 specs? That is the route we went as an extraction booth wasnt big enough for us and we needed 4 control rooms.

5 Likes

Already tried that, he’s not going for it.

3 Likes

What about a spec built connex

Again, no go.

The entire enclosure has to be listed and labeled as a single system. The fact that the individual components are NRTL (in this case by UL) listed, is irrelevant.

This is insane.

5 Likes

How’s the weather there? Maybe just work outside.

3 Likes

The weather here is notoriously insane. 30+ degree temperature fluctuations, high wind, tornadoes and the occasional sleet storm in november.

I like where your head’s at.

9 Likes