Not sure what happened here?

Any thoughts what happened in this picture? I was in the process of doing a wash and it started to turn into a solid mass in a couple seconds.

What does the solid feel like when you rub a bit of it between your fingers?

it feels like crystals.

What were you washing when it happened?

I used sodium hydroxide as catalyst and then used citric acid to neutralize. Then i used just water and it did this instantly.

Does it redissolve when you put a bit of it in hot water?

No, it did not.

Was there sodium bicarbonate added at any point?

Nope.

It is possible you made trisodium citrate crystals, but this is just a guess based on limited information.

1 Like

I was refluxing with sodium hydroxide and heptane. Neutralized with citirc acid and the used plain distilled water and everything became a solid mass within seconds. Starting material was cbd isolate.

1 Like

I know nothing of the process but is it possible u had to much solute.

1 Like

Sodium tricitrate is soluble in water, whatever the OP made isn’t

1 Like

shit tons of wax bru, but defs crystalized, did you crash? @Prisoncityxtracts

Time to get it tested. Maybe d10? If you made it pure enough it is one that crystallizes readily.

I went do do a plain water wash and this happened. I am trying to run some isomerization using different catalyst.

I’m not sure what happened here, but just FYI heptane and sodium hydroxide doesn’t dissolve so chances are nothing happened much chemically until you added the water. You need the water molecule to do some work.
You cannot dissolve the oils with water so use ethanol or methanol as a substitute. They will work very much the same as water to dissociate the acid/bases.

4 Likes

eth will pull most of the fat out making its easier to isolate. how did you extract?

Nonpolar all the way :ok_hand:

1 Like

I started with isolate. Winterized the cbd isolate with methanol. Refluxed using heptane and sodium hydroxide. Neutralized sodium hydroxide with citric acid in seperation funnel after it went from purple to a pink i washed once more with just distilled water and that mass is what happened. My thoughts maybe i nothing happend but I never had cbd isolate crash within seconds so here I am.

2 Likes