Noob seeking help with redneck isomerization

Dissolve it in a buffer, acid treat it, organic wash to pull out the cannabinoids and several water washes to ensure there is no left over salts, evaporate that organic layer off, if an oil remains you were successful, if a crystal remains you were not.

2 Likes

Graham condensers are the worst ever, get an allihn condenser or better yet, my personal fave… a friedrich condenser.

4 Likes

Never under any circumstance heat a closed system.

You need to make sure there is no pressure build up

There’s a lot to learn about short path distillation on this site, volumes and volumes and volumes of data… I suggest using the search bar.

I’m working on setting up to make some videos that walk beginners through these sorts of things and should have a few published by the end of the year if all goes well- if you are looking to purchase a complete short path kit I have a used 2L setup I’ll sell on the cheap if you’re interested, I scaled up a lot…

10 Likes

I’m referring to someone using HCl to isomerize and not doing a proper workup or reacting it with NaH to do a base elimination back to the d9 alkene.

Sodium Hydride is a powerful base. Special care is required to handle and dry THF is required to solvate it. Not something your typical cannabis extractor will have laying around.

I’m concerned on the potential toxicology of someone ingesting a d8-THC, 9-chloro-HHC distillate mixture. I hope some dumbo didn’t use hydrochloric acid to do an large batch isomerization. But also the CDC labs would have detected that by now in the disty if that were the culprit.

5 Likes

Well this thread got really advanced!

So I get that we can turn all cannabinoids to D8 with t41, (like cbd crude) but are we now saying that you can then convert those D8’s to D9’s!?

I agree I have a lot more reading to do. I dug into some SPD topics here and watched a couple Youtube videos, but the different components of an SPD aren’t clear to me yet. I also wonder if I need the typical setup you see on the forum like this one for what I intend to do with it. People extracting from crude probably end up with more fractions than I would?

Another problem is that AC, activated bentonite, T5 or T41 are not for sale in Europe. T5 and T41 are American products, the bentonite in these regions seems to be used for face masks and is not activated, and the carbon is steam activated, not chemically activated. So I will have to use some kind of acid or maybe acidify the carbon myself.

I think I’m going to try what @YeahBet described earlier, reflux, filter, remove solvent. I can have it tested on residuals for €45 and I assume it’s safe to ingest when that comes up negative?

1 Like

Absolutely.

1 Like

Yes basically
But it is a diffrent reaction
Not yust distilling with a powder in the boiling flask

1 Like

What does AC stand for?

Activated Carbon

1 Like

Air conditioning

6 Likes

I prefer a spork over a spoon

Sporks remind me of being a kid and getting pinto beans from taco bell lol ahh the good ol days

4 Likes

I loved the beans and cheese! I’d ask my ma to get me some chips too, it was delicious.

1 Like

Very intersting stuff, I’m in a similar position to start with.
What did you end up doing for your first isomerization and how did it turned out?