Newbie. With passive recovery :(

I having a hard time recovery my solvent. I push out 3ib into my 1ib extractor and I recovered 1ib from it. The rest was still liquid in the collection. I notice my pressure was at 20 psi and went down to 10 but it keep staying there so I kind of release and wasted them all. I notice my collection had a lot of liquid and I kind of spill them:.(. Any tips will help this newbie thank you

Are you doing it all at room temperature or are you using anything to heat up your collection vessel and cool your solvent tank?

I don’t mean this to be cruel, but it sounds like it could be very dangerous for you to be operating a closed loop with these kinds of questions. Especially if you mean you vented solvent to atmosphere when you say, “so I kind of release and wasted them all. I notice my collection had a lot of liquid and I kind of spill them”

I can assure you my dude, burning to death or killing your neighbors in a fire is not gonna be a good time.

Can you give any specifics on temperatures of the recovery vessel and solvent tank as well as what kind of solvent you’re using? What kind of experience do you have using a loop? Are you actually just venting your recovery vessel to atmosphere?!

9 Likes

So what are you doing to actually drive solvent recovery?

You need a temperature gradient.

Tell us how you’re generating yours.

2 Likes

Pressure determines the boiling / condensation point & required enthalpy to perform either operation.

The lower the pressure - the colder it will have to be in order to condense; consequently, the lower the boiling point the more enthalpy that is required to initiate boiling.

7 Likes

Are there any good you tube tutorials or channels that cover both practical and conceptual concepts?

Maybe if we ask @RockSteady realllyyyy nicely they will put one out. His YouTube series has been lit so far

10 Likes

I could only Imagine a you tube video on the “CONCEPTUAL” aspects of Butane works but no theory.

A quadruple contest between “4X player polar/protic” vs “1X NONPOLAR-aprotic”….nothing to see here…move on.

@918homegrown, listen to what WolfeXtracts is trying to tell you….

3 Likes

I second this his YT series been :fire:

4 Likes

ill put it on the list for future videos!

thanks for the support! :slight_smile:

10 Likes

I will add my pretty please.

@RockSteady

Thanks for considering. These threads are great, but people need the visual component.

1 Like

As in:

Etc.

I’m doing outside. Temperature around mid 50s. I’m using hot water for the collection’s bucket and I have dry ice in the recovery tank’s bucket. I’m trying to figure which temperature to set and when to start the recovering process.

1 Like

Yes I slowly releasing them into the atmosphere. It didn’t feel safe releasing everything at once. Educate me thank you

Hey sensei. Been a minute. Happy new year. I went with the 1ib passive closed loop. I’m struggling and trying to push the solvent in the recovery tank but I failed. So I kind release some of the solvent out. I use dry ice and alcohol on the tank. But still won’t recover the rest. Pour hot water on the collection tube but didn’t get much.

1 Like

did you vacuum the atmosphere out of the tank/system first?

7 Likes

Yes I vacuum the tank but wasn’t sure about the pressure. I’m kind of wonder if there is a gauge that I can attach to it

I guess you’re not using sous vide or circulator? Did you keep adding warm water? When your solvent is subliming it takes a lot of calories from your hotbath.
Do you use nitrogen push?

2 Likes

SkinnyWater ™

^^^ not all that into thermodymagic…

2 Likes