Newbie help with Buchner Funnel

Greetings and salutations to all! I’m brand new to this forum and joined because I saw a really amazing thread about cleaning chlorophyll/waxes/lipids from extracted material using ethanol, activated carbon, celite 545, a filter paper as well as a buchner flask and funnel. While I understand the principle of how and why it works, I was hoping I might find a nice step by step tutorial as to go about this. Thank you all for your help.

1 Like

why dont u just continue the discussion on that thread instead of asking for a spoon?
If u wanna pay, theres plenty of people on here that will help, including me :wink:

2 Likes

Search “green grinch”. This showed how I went from dark green to a clean ethanol

3 Likes

Your welcome

9 Likes

Here you go, my man.

7 Likes

Thanks All! Apologies for not looking a little harder initially and thank you for all the info :slight_smile: ultimately my goal is to make rosin usable in a cartridge. I was initially thinking of just decarbing, adding terps, and pushing through a heated syringe with a filter at the end, but I fear the viscosity of the extract may prevent this from happening. Thanks again

Squish rosin
Collect in jar
Decarb
Fill cart

Why the need to filter?

3 Likes

Would the fats and lipids from the rosin clog the atomizer/coil? It’s gonna be for commercial production so we don’t want any carts failing.
Do you think decarbing would also work in a boroscilicate glass syringe?

If u have ethanol and plan to use it then why would u use rosin instead eho

3 Likes

If extracting rosin from bubble hash, is there any fat or need to winterize?

Decarbing high terpene extract needs to be done under pressure to maintain terps. A glass syringe would probably be a nightmare.

You mention decarbing and adding terps back… how do you plan to seperate terps from your rosin and then add them back???

Sorry, I need to clarify,
I have terpene profiles for each sample of rosin, so we will be recreating the terpene profile with terpene isolates. The recreated terpene profile will then be reintroduced to the rosin after decarb. The starting material for this rosin was a dry sift hash. The keif was old, like realllly old and they just wanted to see what would happen if they squished it, so they did. Now they want to make soleventless carts and have tasked me with a way to do so. I imagine if I can get this to work better starting material will.be provided, but I have to show proof of concept before we.can move forward. This is why I was initially drawn to the Buchner filtration tek, but as far as keeping it soleventless, (no ethanol) I feel like that wouldn’t necessarily be honest.

1 Like

After you get this done with this bio, plan to do it under pressure in a diamond miner. You’ll have some of the best carts around

1 Like

@Demontrich do you think that would work commercially?

Considering you can decarb in as large a vessel as you want, it would work like a champ. That’s the same tech for making live resin carts.

Something like this

2 Likes

Oh niiiiice! That’s a Vac Oven yeah? So one could decarb and then keep warm and under pressure all in one go?

Large diamond miner on a hot plate. You could do it in one go, you just have to make sure you have headspace in the vessel for the co2 pressure.

I added the 6” spool just for room. I did mine on this go fairly warm, @Dred_pirate’s tech is done at 140f and takes longer. But also preserves more terps

Once done, I put it in the freezer to get any terps that vaporized to condense back to a liquid.

If you don’t like the hot plate idea, you could put it in a vac oven or even in a bucket of water with a sousvide

4 Likes

i’m already doing this, i think you’re making it more complicated than it has to be. mix rosin at low temp and homogenize terpenes then injecting carts. curious why you’d need to decarb? when the thca hits the atomizer it’s going to convert, same as dab.

Your probably right, I have a tendency to overthink. I think my main concern is the presence of fats and lipids, the decarb is to ensure the THCA (a fat) will convert to Delta 9 to ensure the rosin won’t get stuck in the syringe filter.

1 Like

Ah, I haven’t had any issues but there’s plenty of ways to decarb if it’s a concern. I’d try souse vide for cheap precision

Because it will crystallize if you don’t decarb