New Yorkers With Marijuana Convictions Will Get First Retail Licenses

4 Likes

means that the big names will hire 100 friend’s to apply. its not going to people who didnt pay the local govt.

2 Likes

Idk, we could see some conflict research like there is between retail and production in WA

1 Like

Im supposedly a candidate for il= i fit most preferential criteria minus being a minority. But its 5000 dollars non refundable to enter a lottery with a 1 percent chance and thats after you have a facility and all your ducks in a row= unlikely to work for an up and comer who has been disenfranchised by the previous laws.

3 Likes

I can see hemp facilities transitioning under this model actually

3 Likes

The NY governor signed that bill allowing conditional licences for existing hemp farms to grow weed recently too.

5 Likes

Our goal is to transition when the time is right. We are getting very close to having most of our ducks in a row. I’m just concerned about being able to get a license.

Edit: we are in TN. I have no interest in NY markets. But, the point still stands that you can have all your ducks in a row, and some Chad buys off a bunch of felons for licenses.

2 Likes

And the race to find a felon and give him some equity starts now

12 Likes

They’re nowhere even close on their goals for the social equity program… a lot of this stuff is just politics, playing to what sounds good in the paper.

8 Likes

you dont need to be black to have social equity. In ll a conviction and living in a poor town is enough.

Seems legit

10 Likes

From a recent control board meeting:

Q: Kesha Clarke: In order to get a license, you have to have a prior conviction or is a family member of that AND must be a business owner?

A: Chris Alexander: Correct. We have done the analysis and there is a significant population who have been arrested and then gone on to open and operate businesses. We are confident there are a lot of people who fit these criteria.

Not as simple as just finding someone with a record

There’s also a litany of other tape to cut through…

2 Likes

To me this sounds highly unlikely. Any chance this is bull crap? I’m not sure what the word would be but isn’t that wrong somehow?

Like how the average marijuana arrestee doesn’t give a fuck about opening up a dispo or weed-centric business - now if they accepted forgiveness on marijuana trafficking and distribution cases they’d be hitting the right targets that would actually open any sort of business

Or the fact that the mere presence of some arrests would stop them from getting a business-sized loan, that too.

1 Like

The state is going to be the one giving out loans to these people. Whether it’s going to be at average interest rates or how it’ll be treated is yet to be seen.

It’s who you know and when you know them

1 Like

Hemp farmer in NY I do business with apparently got his license Via the hemp farm allowance route. Looks like they’re actually following through with this type of stuff.

2 Likes

was juuust about to say that. In theory i love this idea but how i’ve only seen it played out is large companies buying out frontmen to be social equity poster childs for them only to take over like a true power bottom

2 Likes

iasip-its

This is cool news. They promised they would do it and I’m glad to see you they’re fulfilling that promise. :grinning: