New York cannabis tax

Dunno all the other states but what’s listed for cali is definitely wrong. Not including city and state tax(another 24ish%)

The price per oz for flowers and leaves were increased the start of 2020 as well

1 Like

The OCM website just launched: https://cannabis.ny.gov/adult-use

The THC tax is at the distributor tier while the 14% tax is on the retail side.

3 Likes

surprised NY has lower canna tax than most of the west coast

1 Like

I also don’t think localities can impose additional tax on top of the state taxes like they can in CA.

On a business trip to CA the county I was visiting imposed an additional 33% tax on cannabis on top of the state taxes; freakin ridiculous.

The other bonus in the MRTA is the change to public health law and smoking. Cannabis can be smoked anywhere tobacco can(including public parks, sidewalks, etc) unless there is an existing smoking ordinance banning it.

1 Like

I still haven’t read the bill myself except for some highlights posted on various platforms. So do excuse me if I vented earlier about unreasonable taxes on cigarettes and cigars in NYS but those statements are still true…just might not apply to Cannabis it seems.

Anyhow, I had a good chat with someone who has been working with the liquor authority for the last 30 years. He has obtained multiple licenses for some retail stores I owned at one point or another and has obtained over 10K licenses in NYS overall.

He mentioned to me the board had been given 7 million dollars some years ago to set up and implement things however nothing was done and the law never progressed earlier until now that the governor really needed some positive coverage.

In his opinion, if the same model is followed within the very structured NYS liquor authority the same will hold true…such as you can’t have a retail license and wholesale liquor license. Can’t have more than one license per person or company in NYS.

What I found most interesting is from this conversation again just an opinion of this person. NYS actually might make this a very streamlined process. If the paperwork is proper there might not be too much red tape.

In NYS mostly everything outside of NYC follows state laws. NYC has its own set of rules such as no flavored rolling papers or cigars/blunts along with much higher taxes.

Long Island is going to be a bit hard on this with all the towns and counties trying to put their spin on it. Oyster Bay already put up a bill wanting to move future smoke shops and dispensaries to industrial areas.

Very exciting times ahead.