New to rotovaps

I’m considering getting a smaller rotovap. I have been using the spd to recover etoh.
The unit I’m looking at is a 1L that can fit a 3L flask. It’s 1100 for the unit from hfs.
How much would this unit recover per hour?
I need a diaphram pump? Anybody have any cheaper sources for pumps that work with a roto?
Can I get away with dry ice and a water pump or is a chiller necessary?
Thanks!

For that price you’re better off just buying a 5L straight from china which would be like 800-900 shipped if I recall correctly.

Also you can get away with a pump but dry ice isn’t necessary - a bucket full of water and regular ice or straight off the tap would be good.

I personally use a welch diaphragm wob-l pump and it’s pretty good for the job - you can find them on ebay for $200 (2522)

4 Likes

Your better of getting an re-501 and then getting the adapter to downsize to 24/40 glassware. I say this because the condenser of the re-501 is good enough to recover 5L an hour. Which means it should be able to recover 1L relatively quick PLUS the re-501 comes standard with a 3L recovery flask. eBay usually has moderately cheap Chinese pumps, though I bit the bullet and went american for my pump.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Diaphragm-Lab-Vacuum-Pump-Oil-Free-30-L-Min-Gm-0-5A-Ce-Rosh-Certificate-kp/232322688035?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D57476%26meid%3D8cd61c17ec62495ea30cb7e9f43ff524%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26sd%3D232570980821%26itm%3D232322688035&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

usa labs has turnkey setups and then you can dm the support for an o-ring adapter to downstep the size and be able to use 24.40 glassware.

my two cents

4 Likes

I’m trying to go about this as cheap as possible. If you guys have reliable sources for Chinese rotos I’m willing to explore those options. I have had issues with lanphan and terry so that put a bad taste in my mouth. Which is why I was considering the hfs. It’s chinese but at least they are in the USA.

I’ve pieced together a used buchi 2L and put a 3L boiling flask on it. Paid about 1100 after the dewar condenser, coil condenser and distribution head.

3 Likes

How much is the re501? Is there a lot of people getting good results with this unit?

What happened between you and lanphan?

I also have the RE501… I believe I posted the answer to your question above…

1 Like

Ordered some gear from him that arrived broken. Long story short is I’m not doing business with them again and am not confident in Chinese suppliers at this point.
Thank god for cc disputes

1 Like

Anybody have a good supplier of the re501 that they can share?
How is the reliability of this machine

You can also get cheap used US rotavaps on auction. I’ve bought them for less than $500 in the past, and sometimes they come with vacuum pumps too.

3 Likes

Can someone link me an adapter so I can put a 24/40 flask on an re-1020?

5 Likes

DM USA labs or lanphan

2 Likes

Use usalabs before going direct to lanphan.

At least with usalabs, if you have a problem, Dave will handle it asap!

2 Likes

I went thru lanphan.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Latest-110V-5L-Rotary-Evaporator-Rotavapor-Lab-equipment-RE501-Y-/173280555339?nav=SEARCH

1 Like

^ I paint $1,050 from Lanphan after shipping and PayPal fee they charged because I wasn’t comfortable using western union. That’s a great deal on eBay. A trick I’ve learned on the RE-501 to get a perfect alignment of the boiling flask every time is to have the motor on its slowest setting to snug up the flask before turning it off and tightening it. Make sure to start the threads first though, you don’t want to cross thread the plastic nut. Before I figured this out I could never get the damn flask perfectly balanced.

5 Likes

I have a couple 3 litre buchis I would let go for around that price. European build not Chinese
and MUCH more user friendly. dm if interested.

2 Likes

I’m honestly not trying to be rude but how much more user friendly can it really be? A rotovap is a rotovap. You mean like electronic settings and auto lift bath…

2 Likes

like glass that doesn’t break easily, English user manuals, and real customer service to name a few things that separate Chinese from other countries suppliers

but I’m not in a rush to let these babies go. lol I like just looking at them haha
by all means if you can only afford Chinese buy Chinese, but literally every single part is made better on European rotovaps, its not even really an argument :man_facepalming::upside_down_face:

4 Likes

Thank God for harbor freight vacuum pump burn it up take to store get new one off shelf… Repeat… don’t forget the warranty

4 Likes