New to hydroponics, need pro advice

I would love to just process the trim into Drysift then press it into hash rosin and process the bud in a closed loop but I’m not that rich lol I’m tryna figure out a plan to efficiently run my crop into quality extracts and the more the better if you know what I mean

1 Like

Plants are a byproduct. They are created when organic matter, gasses and minerals react with colonized bacteria and fungi living in the soil. This reaction generates vegtables/plant matter, with the help of seeds generated by this matter.

This complex network of chemistry (soil) has supported all life forms here on earth since before humans.

What we are eating
A seed planted in synthetic media, fed synthetic fertilizer & pesticides. This is not allowing the plants to exist at their highest potential. While alive and appearing healthy they are less nutritious because they lack exposure to the (fucking massive) network of organisms found in organic soil.

Its not that synthetics are wrong, I think they can and should be used on plants, it will most likely lead to development of new technologies. However currently more complex items already exist in nature. More rare compounds, things humans haven’t thought of yet,
Mystery’s of evolution. Once humans realize the value of plants. Plastic will cease. Wars will stop. It will be an amazing time of great peace and love.

Synthetics are an infinite map with unknown ends. Its a puzzle and humans love puzzles but with farming there is already a natural system that works, the way we humans have been eating for thousands of years. Therefore it’s probably best to keep food production to organic.

3 Likes

I get your message here friend, I already tried to mess around with soil in my teenage years I tried going all organic and ended up with ridiculously small yields of bunk stuff barely smokeable.
I was definitively doing it the wrong way :joy:
I give you that, organic soil is certainly a way to go speaking of nutrients the plants love it, and its proven to give decent material.
For myself I really want to give a shot to hydroponics, I feel like this method is more suitable for me and for what I want to do with the final material.
That being said thanks for these awesome thoughts. I will definitely consider it but for now I will stick to hydro.

Yeah man no worries, good luck with the grow

1 Like

Thanks man!

10yr ocean forest “soil” user here. I’ll never do hydro, minus my 10x aero cloners I get 99.99% success rate with.

Cheap easy way
Big ars mirror
5gal bucket
5gal 160iu bubble bag
Dry ice

Shake shake shake

Knowing when to stop…

7 Likes

I will keep you guys updated when I’m done with building the setup, I still need to get a lot of things sorted out before I go full throttle on it :sweat_smile:

The Dry ice method seems simple as hell I will dig more on that! I already saw a tutorial about it and I wondered if you could extract Hash rosin from the obtained sift of dry icing and yea!

I’m concerned about the smell, is a growtent legit to prevent smell or it wont do much?

It will work if you have the right size carbon filter.

4 Likes

Thanks! I was worried about stinking the whole story in my old appartment lmao :rofl:

The dry ice method is extremely easy, but even easier than the technique is to shake it too long and ruin a good batch.

Collect frequently until you get a feeling for when to stop

2 Likes

Thanks for the tip!, would I get a better product/yield with the dry ice method or with a set of sifting screens? (90 mesh, 110 mesh and 200 mesh) like Mr Canucks Grows does in his youtube video: Turning Shaky Trim Into Top Shelf Hash: How To Make Dry Sift & Hash Rosin - YouTube

That video gave me anxiety thinking about how long a tote would take.

That’s my go to perspective on the rosin press when I use mine. I try to judge my end result’s value to me based on quality and return vs time to prep, pack bags, press and collect. I try to assembly line as much as possible, so pack everything, press everything and then collect everything, and then consider how my start to finish time was in relation to what I got out.

With that being said I can probably do a full tote of trim through a bubble bag with dry ice faster than homeboy in the video is going to take to get through those two gallon bags. So my estimated time spent for those two methods is approximately 27:2 in favor of the dry ice.

Dry ice can be had for cheap from a welding place, or gas place in general, and will usually be pellets. 20 lbs can plow through a good amount of material, and a bubble bag is cheap. Those racks look expensive, or is something you would need to build.

I feel like the end result is fairly similar, and the required skill of knowing when to stop seems the same. I’d go dry ice

1 Like

Thanks for all these explanations I think I’ll stick with the dry ice… while doing my initial researches I looked into acquiring dry ice from a local source (just to see if it was do-able at first) and yes it is pretty cheap as 3$ Canadian/pound So yes that alternative is pretty much my best bet.
That being said, these screens go for around 30-40bucks each but you have to be a fucking google master searcher to find these it took me forever lol
anyone interested for these screens here’s the link: http://www.goldupusa.com/screen-printing-screens/AL20x24

Hello I saw your post and was wondering if you could forward me the info you already typed up! Thanks

Unless your in a area that has a drain i wouldn’t bother w rdwc as it’s not a if but when a leak happens u gta be prepared ive built several rdwc setups been there done that moved onto the bucket company and I’m still recirculating just like I was in rdwc and its a fuck ton cheaper and alot more efficient and easier to maintain cheaper to run a lot less shit to buy and worry about and I still see stupid fast growth too…I run scynce led raging kush thee best led company in the USA hands down…i too make rosin and I have a dabpress as well but it’s a custom made 12 ton…Bubble hash is what you want for quality and if u do ur research it’s fire you just gta know how to do so…Pm if you have any questions happy to help

That depends on the build. If you are trying to plumb together lowes buckets, then yeah. But dwc is a concept, not a specific system. Instead of cheap buckets, try containers with real fittings on the bottom, like utility sinks and livestock watering troughs. Correctly plumbed pvc is not going to leak. Or, alternatively, just grow in a container with a solid bottom. Bail out the res to change it.

4 Likes

No thats a fact anything that can go wrong will go wrong. I had a cch20 setup that was made not built and I still got a cracked bucket in less than 3mo of use…And it did it out of no where and was fine prior to that. Had bulkheads not uniseals and yet still have issues…As shit happens that’s a fact…And you must plan and expect for the worst period no matter how much it costs…shit breaks that’s a fact!!! Doesn’t matter how it was done and with uv lights which also make plastic brittle just a matter of time before they crack and have issues…I wouldn’t waste my time bailing out a res period absolutely not

1 Like

So stop plumbing together buckets. If there is no plumbing, there is nothing to leak. I have always thought bucket systems were silly. Slap a cover on a livestock trough, recirculate the water, and pump it out to change it if you dont want to bail. Livestock troughs are built tougher than any grow machine ever made.

2 Likes

I’ve never had many issues with my bucket system. Only time I ever cracked a bucket was from setting the bucket on a piece of hydroton and the weight of the bucket warped around it, stretched the plastic and then finally gave way…

Anyone buying units from current culture are dealing with their exceptionally thin white abs plastic. I agree the plastic is thin. I like to run schedule 40 when I can.

The old system instructions used to tell everyone to use plumbers puddy instead of pvc glue so the system could be taken apart and cleaned, which in my opinion is some absolutely ignorant shit.

I’ve broken parts on my systems and dealt with floods. But I’ll never go back to humping pallets of soil around