NEW THREAD! large batch CRC remediations

Well, at least I think this is a new thread from what I could find, or for the lack of a better term. What I “couldn’t” find.

I wanted to start a thread to converse about Large batch CRC remediations from crude because. Well… I haven’t seen anything on here in regards to such… if someone has a link they can share to direct me too. Cool. Otherwise I’ll start us up here…

I was trying to find some talk as to what people are doing on said topic. Reason being, I’m working on fixing the most effective and efficient way to take raw crude to remediate vs. doing “inline” CRC remediations from raw starting material.

“Batch CRC” if you will…

I have my formula down… consistent everytime. Based on weight of Crude.
Seems to be working a a lot better then inline remediations from raw material.

But, here’s the catcher…

My problem is clogging now.

As of now. This is our SOP until some parts come in to build jacketed spools to soak, and homogenize into our initial solution to which we will be remediating…

It’s a bit jankey as of now but soon to be vastly improved…

SOP is as follows…

1. We are loading warmed crude that is similar to honey/molasses into collection vessel.
  2. Securing lid.
  3. vacuuming down vessel.
    Filling with solvent
  4. heating up to 50C
  5. pressurizing to 50psi.
  6. Pushing thru CRC.
  7. recover.
  8. pour out.

Mind you This SOP is very simplified.

But my issue with clogging in lines leading from bottom of vessel to CRC I’m wondering is from whether or not I am heating up collection long enough.

This may be obvious as I’m dealing woth solid turds in my lines… hence my design that I’m waiting for to land so I can begin assembly of something I believe to be my ultimate solution…

Nothing out of this world. Just your average jacketed column rack. With 3/4” lines and from bottom of colum to collection vessel “A”. And so on…

My theory… and this may be one that’s seemingly simple and rather obvious… but my theory is that of we loaded our crude into 6”x48” jacketed spools.
Proceeded to follow standard procedure. Flooded columns with solvent. Heated jacketed once full to mix and homogenize to initial solution, which would then be drained into Collection “A”, to further be diluted to our desired solvent to oil ratio.

I mean, does this not seem sound?
Because it does to me…

To reiterate, my issue is my obvious lack of needed tools and parts as i explained I’m waiting on, but also clogging of lines…

Could it be just as simple as heating up oil and solvent longer to throughly homogenize into aqueous solution that won’t clog? I think so…

But to do that in a 300L vessel VS. 4x - 6”x36” jacketed spools… it takes less time and energy to heat said spools filled with 15-20lbs of solvent each compared to a large 300L vessel filled with solvent…

Correct me if I’m wrong here anyone but I think I’m pretty solid With my line of thinking.

I’m open to suggestions and ideas as to what people are already doing to dilute and homogenize crude into solution to be further remediated.

If u use enough solvent to oil ratio u won’t have any clogging

Whats ur crc depth and width

2 Likes

Which solvent? How was the crude made? We have no clue what you’re pushing through that turd cannon.

Gotta prewet the crc with solvent too. I think you’d be better off with breaking dabs chromatography tek. I believe its 2:1 heptane: crude in a heptane-prewetted magsil column Follow him on ig its wild stuff

9 Likes

as it happens, I batch CRC’ed the output from 20 runs today…used three 5.2kg bags of dirt.

this version which @Photon_noir shared over in the Opaline Silica Thread somewhere shows a 6x48 CRC that we used for 5-8 runs before refreshing the media.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1uQGEsx2GY7xIjlZgfIXO1INgJnN3c5EQ

My current batch CRC uses two such 6x48’s so I can switch between them (so I always have a fresh bag of dirt on hand)…

I can’t share an SOP, mainly because I’ve not performed this trick twice the same way yet. Melting stuff down to CRC sucks. much easier not to remove all the solvent in the first place.

I proposed color swatches on the ceiling of the booth. boss insisted on boats :rofl: :joy: :rofl:

7 Likes
  1. load solvent into collection tank
  2. start recovering
  3. plumb hot vapor in bottom of collection
  4. melt and pour material into preheated jacketed vessel with bottom drain. connected to collection with shortest possible hose.
  5. purge head space with N2
  6. use N2 to slowly add material to roiling collection pot.
  7. simmer to taste, then push through CRC
6 Likes

What about throwing some media in during the simmer so the whole time you are dissolving you are getting sweet sweet contact time then wash through less powders, filters etc.?

Not sure if anyone else has mentioned this but I got the idea from the Etoh methods back when hydrocarbon powder jazz was first speading on here.

I mean contact time across full surface area of media is the main goal. Had great results with alot less solvent then it takes to carry the noids through deep beds.

2 Likes

@Greenz Wouldnt that cause reX that could potentialy yield unwanted byproducts?..

Cause fro etoh methods I would say most like to lessen the contact time ( which would be kidnof counterintuitive, just because what you said about sweet sweet contact time).

I allways throw all the media sequently in the mix and then filter out, but some might disagree with me… And I never filtered more than 5L so maybe Im missing vital points and hidden problems that scale up like this demans…

Rofling at the “turd cannon”… Hard…

1 Like

@GrzA the temp on vessel is raised enough to reflux the tane which doesn’t take much heat. I’m not sure what medias you are using but with simple clays and making sure you don’t heat the shit out of it you shouldn’t have any conversion sorcery. This may be inaccurate from a chemistry standpoint but my view is instead of running solution through a column of media where the extract will sliiiiiiddddeeee past the powders rubbing/contacting etc. This allows the extract in solution to bang around all the powder as it dissolves getting action where it can. Allowing for less solvent to be used (less solvent is more contact time and not required since it doesn’t need to be carried through a depth bed) and utilizes the processing time of the extracts redissolving. Maybe one of these smart folks can chime in to confirm.

Yes just etoh, scared of anything else… :slight_smile:
Definetly isnt the same sourcery but we remediated well a couple of turds… But still hunting for the golden crude… Might die before I get there with alchohols but, ill die faster with hydrocarbons probably :))thnx for the insight much appreciated…

I would do this as well. We had 3 columns of media and would run two in series and 1 as a spare that was ready to use once the first column was used up . We would get about 6 runs out of column 1 then we switch column 2 that was partially used as our first column and introduce the third column that was fresh as the secondary column. We would flush out the 3rd column when it was not in line to capture all lost cannabinoids and then get it ready to use again before the other columns were used up.

We did this back in our pilot lab with glass columns so you could really see what was going on and it was easy to track the results and see when your media was spent.

These pictures are not with the columns in series but they were the only photos i could find. This was about 2 years ago.

You can see the color improvement a lot in these pictures.
Hexane extracted room temp and the columns were silica 60.

17 Likes

I’ve been preaching the dual columns in sequence for a hot minute. I’m so glad to see someone employing the concept in our industry. It’s actually kinda a common process in the edible oil industry to pass through filters in sequence to ensure the media is getting completely spent before a new filter is added into the sequence.

6 Likes

I took it from the old common sense area of my brain. This was after my 3rd week in a lab before I knew anything about the common cannabis crc techniques or methods and it just made sense and saved me a lot of time.

5 Likes

Just a small correction, @cyclopath
It was actually 6"×24" column into which a sock of media filled to 22-23" was placed, with a 6"•10μm sintered filter plate below for support & pre-filtration, then an empty 6" to 3" conical reducer, a 3" perf plate segment with screen gaskets over cotton ball filters, and a 2-port 3" cup at the bottom. :wink:

7 Likes

Yep…also using two 6”x24” now. (with 1um sintered disks on the bottom).

Thanks for making me wrong again wiz!

:rofl::joy::gift_heart::shushing_face:

4 Likes

I started doing crude color remediation a few years ago got hired and the company had about 40 lbs of un sellable product. I did about the same procedure.
We had a spout under our collection so I just but the oil in the collection heated it and added butane and recovered until homogeneous. The spout under the machine was connected to a 1/2 inch line that was connected to the filter , the filter was connected to a diff collection and I used nitrogen to help push it through for final collection . I used silica gel de and this frying oil cleaner I found on the Internet until I found other options of course. (food safe! :joy: it worked well and everything passed testing it would leave the oil with a bright yellow slight orange glow.)

2 Likes

You will usually need a way to winterize the product to as the fats will want to crash out of the butane causing more clogging issues.

i wouldnt change anything that you are doing except add:

prewet crc

maybe ur not waiting till the crude is fully dissolved?
maybe ur not afding enough butane?
not enough butane will clog and lose a lot of yield
how much crude are you adding?
maybe lower the amount of crude

i stopped doing crude runs as i couldnt find a good source for crude — sometimes the loss was tremendous — sometimes the stuff would come out straight soup due to poor material.

anyways hope this helps

1 Like

Incorrect. Haha. Hard no.

30:1 woth 20# crude.

350# solvent: 20# crude

Still clogging.