(new) PROCESS TO EXTRACT AND PURIFY DELTA-9-TETRAHYDROCANNABINOL

Seems very interesting… One could use non polar solvent such as heptane, hexane or limonene to do initial extraction, then added to water ph to 13.2-13.4 with NaOH and saturated with NaCl to create a three layer solution, the non polar solvent on top, the THC-A extract layer and then the water and NaCl layer beneath… using a separatory funnel one could remove the middle layer yielding THC-A in a way that would quickly reduce the amount of solvent to remove/recycle. The non polar solvent layer could also be evaporated to see if any of the THC-A didn’t separate out.

It seems that the use of water and ph in this type of extraction could greatly improve the time it would take to remove the excess solvent from the extract and also possibly produce a faster method for obtaining THC-A at possibly a higher purity than the traditional non polar / closed loop or rotovap methods normally used.

quoting the patent # United States Patent Application 20160326130 as I apparently can not put links in this post

12 Likes

Reminds me of:

6 Likes

It seems that using a separatory funnel to remove solvent from an extracted substance could make the scalability incredible compared to current closed loop/rotovap method for this process.

A vacuum oven could be used to remove any traces from material that was separated in this way… and the amount of materials and investment could be greatly reduced compared to methods which use pressurized containers to remove and move solvent from desired compounds such as current closed loop distillers.

I wonder if this thread belongs here in solvent recovery or if it would be better suited in another part of hash and stuff?

Fixed. Pre/Post Processing

4 Likes

The game is changing. Great info def gana try this how difficult is obtaining the Noah and naci?

2 Likes

That’s NaOH and NaCl :slight_smile:

Red Devil is NaOH, and Nackle (NaCl) is table salt…

6 Likes

The use of a sep funnel to do acid-base chemistry might have already been done in this group. Try searching to see if anyone else has tried it. Synthetic chemists normally do this to remove any undesired water soluble compounds prior to chromatography. Only issue you might run into is residual water in your organic layer. This can be removed by putting sodium sulfate into the organic layer and letting it sit until there is no water present.

1 Like

Red devil ?
Whats that something like drano ?
To solve clogged up sewage pipes ?

1 Like

the concept of “food grade” NaOH escapes me…

but look what the all knowing one has to offer when asked for “Red Devil NaOH” :wink:

http://www.dudadiesel.com/choose_item.php?id=2drhdl

7 Likes

We have a debatable subject !
To You the all knowing one is the web
To me iT s You :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

4 Likes

This is what ive use as drain cleaner for years…lol. Mine is food grade for making sourdough pretzels. Real Sour dough prezels are supposedly acid washed in NaOH. Real 99%+ Lye is the best drain cleaner…that stuff will just about dissolve any organic matter is seconds.

9 Likes

NaOH and NaCl are lye and table salt… they can be sourced many places just make sure you find NaOH that is 100% lye only.

Many have tried the base extraction THCA off of organic solvent extracts. works ok, but the recovery is terrible. I think the patent say 65%, i hear it is more like 30-40%, and purity is a real issue.

3 Likes

are they doing it in a liquid-liquid emulsion like this or they doing it after the extract is refined and purged? @shinyemulsion

2 Likes

I wonder why the yield could not be increased by just taking the remaining solvent layer with the remainder of the extracted THCA/THC and purging it as normal?

Well i yust did iT
Hexane/crude washed with Brine/lye/water
Some cannabinoids jumpen to water/lye and Some stayed in the hexane
Will keep rinsing 2x times to check yield
Then also proces hexane to see yield
Damn No. Inhouse analitics is a bitch

7 Likes

did you use a separatory funnel? Did it form 3 layers or still only 2?

This sounds like an exploit of the common ion effect. The THC-A(-)Na(+) salt is too polar for the organic layer, and there is already too high of a concentration of Na(+) in the aqueous layer thanks to the NaCl. Thus the THC-A salt has no where to go and crashes out.

Others have said the yield isn’t as good as the patent claims. They are probably right. Patents in the chemical industry are typically written as vaguely as possible to cover as much IP as possible. With some tinkering you might be able to match the yield they claim.

Tree layers
Middel one is murky. Botom fairly clear top is redish clear

1 Like