(new) PROCESS TO EXTRACT AND PURIFY DELTA-9-TETRAHYDROCANNABINOL

Pretty confident the hexane layer is still full of cannabinoids

Maybe try washing the organic layer three times with aqueous NaOH at the specified pH range. Then add NaCl to the combined aqueous layers until the organic salt crashes out? This would simplify executing multiple washes, but I’m not sure how effective salting out later will be vs. starting out with basic brine.

1 Like

any updates? Try purging the murky layer Roguelab?

1 Like

three phase solution is sloppy

The hexane layer deffinatly has cannabinoids My thought is that thc is not thca so i think the non acitic cannabinoids don t dance the NAOH dance
Maybe @Photon_noir can ellaborate on this
All ethanol was recovered normal atmosphere and heat
So My guess is that quiet Some decarboxilation had taken place

There is a lot to this thread. If you are talking about a 3 phase solvent system of heptane/water/ethanol, then you have added a lot of water. Every layer will contain various concentrations of all 3 solvents, and therefore also differing concentrations of resin and cannabinoids… it is technically an unknown multi-phase system if terpenes are present. The layers separate by density, but again, all 3 contain a little bit of everything.

3 Likes

Is Thc Capable of
Moving to A water phase When ph is droped to 13ph or can only Thca do this ?
@Photon_noir

I have 80% CBD oil and 3% THC. Thoughts on equipment that can get me below .3%

There are sop s for sale that can take care of that with very little aditional equipment

THC and THCa are not very water soluble at all, regardless of pH. It is possible to get some THCa into water with low pH, then salt it out with abit of acid, but the yield is pretty low.

2 Likes

Have a direction for me to look?

The Good Life Gang here and @Future has things like that in his data dump collection!

1 Like

@steelrollin dm him for more details

this has nothing to do with what the actual process here is a lot… not about acid or low ph…

The problem is cannabinoids are not stable at low OR high ph. Low ph they isomerize, high ph they degrade/polymerize. Everyone who tries this proces get yields in the 20-30% range. I do not think everyone has poor technique. The problem is the process breaks down cannabinoids. Its a nice idea, but if you try to do it at scale, the losses are amazing.

1 Like

Yeah we’ve played with this method and it sucks ass from a production standpoint. Future has done it with the lab society folks.

I didn’t read the whole patent to see if its the same as the one we were referencing, but the pH adjustment to make THCa water soluble also creates THCa-A and THCa-B…and unless you decarb those to make D9-THC youre in for a wild ride to get those turned back into THCa.

Consider this, would you rather follow that patent or just make THCa diamonds with butane and then recrystallize in pentane for pure THCa? Which method seems more scalable?

Hell, extract with heptane, remove heptane, winterize in ethanol, crystallize in pentane or heptane again…boom done. This version is all liquid and just uses a few reactors.

Similar to ultrasound extraction…just because something sounds cool/scientific/futuristic doesnt always mean its better for business. However, learning to manipulate these compounds in new ways is educational and who knows if something will come out of it!

Edit: If you read this far here’s a bonus. You can remove THCa from CBD oil using lye water and then decarb the THCa-A/B or trash it. So there is certainly some value in sharing this patent.

13 Likes

Agree 100% shadow, it has its uses, in limited situations. But i think there are much easier ways to crystal.

1 Like

Can anyone explain the mechanism by which CBD turns “purple” in alkaline conditions? I’ve witnessed it myself, but am really curious as to what is happening on a chemical/physical level to the molecule, beyond what is apparent to the naked eye (I already know who I expect chime in😉)

The purple compound you get is a combination of a hydroxy-quinone and its dimer that are the result of the oxidation of CBD. You only get the purple when you have alkaline conditions and oxygen. The code name for it is HU-331 if you want to take a look at it. Under basic conditions the HU-331 is de-protonated and has a deep purple color. I think it is yellow if the pH is lower but I don’t remember that part off hand.

9 Likes

@photon_noir has explained this to me a few times. Why I didn’t retain it, I dunno. Thank you!

2 Likes