New Extraction Method Subsonic Press

This is a R&D question. There are so many directions a person can twist and turn figuring out what the finished oil will be. The biomass is bucked and whole plant.

No chemicals have touched the oil or flower up to the point of the COA’s. The entire process from touching the biomass to COA is 15 min. The image is not mine but oil looks similar. Average of 23% yield. The current machine will process 3lbs every 15 min.

I know the question becomes “yield of what”. The closest description I can find is FECO. The oil is silky smooth because of the 73m bags that the biomass it is pressed through. Further processing is definately possible and that is what brings us to this point.

I can winterize it, distil it, leave it as is. Its a spiderweb of information out there. Is it better to stay at the full spectrum stage as is or further distil it. You know the distilation processes much better then I do.

I appologize to those as per my previous newbieness.

WHOLE PLANT Extract

1 Like

I would distill it.

48-58% TAC+terpenes isn’t gonna fetch too much money wholesale, unless you have an outlet for CBDa/full spectrum products.

4 Likes

what are your goals?

this is mechanically pressed oleoresin, also known as rosin. FECO is a fine term as well.

are you selling equipment?

or are you selling this oil?

ZizzleB is also fully correct in his statement. but this product doesnt strike me as something that tastes good though, so I’m not sure an edible application would be in order.

2 Likes

I’m not understanding the magic behind subsonic pressing versus pressing. Care to explain further?

3 Likes

It gets more of the stuff inside the cells would be my guess.

We don’t actually want anything from inside…

See that fragile looking ballon on a stick? That’s where the goods are.

Breaking every cell wall in sight to get to something that is held up and presented in such a fashion makes no sense at all to me.

If you’re after the sessile ones, then maybe…

7 Likes

Yield percentages don’t mean much without knowing the water content of the biomass.
Putting the squeeze on really wet biomass will give a really high yield but a low assay.
Squeezing bone dry biomass does the opposite.

2 Likes

I think making 6 star sift or bubble is still a better solventless route. Then pressing that.

I would definitely have that product sent for winterizing and distilling unless you can find solventless rso market.

2 Likes

I agree 100% when your targeting a specific compound located in one of the trichome’s. I am trying to capture a larger volume of desired compounds as close to there natural blend. Reason being is everything I have read about the entorouge effect.

Thought process:
I have been researching the ‘entourage effect’ and it seems as it is a feeling of a larger overall ‘experience’ you recieve from smoking flower over straight THC. My understanding is that the entourage effect can be experienced in edibles as long as it is a full spectrum oil.

Each time that you run the oil through another process valuable compounds are lost and the finished product is altered. I was thinking that a process that was short the more in tact the initial compound make-up would remain. That is of course if said method is extracting the canabanoids.

I guess what I was thinking, is there a need for an oil with the majority of the compounds from all of the trichomes in tact in there original form.

I have been testing head to head CBD isolate and the oil you see on the test. I have placed them in capsules @ 70 mg per dose. With my oil I personally and others say there body tingles and you notice something is going on. With the CBD at times it removes the pain but that is all that is really noticed. Is my oil delivering a type of ‘entorouge effect’?

I know I am going to get chewed out for this especially since the entire progress with the extraction process has been about isolation methods. When we smoke flower, hemp or THC, we smoke all of those compounds we are saying are junk in oil. I have seen shift in the industry from isolate to full spectrum and am wondering how far the shift is going to keep going.

I am having this conversation because I have been working on ways to to remove any unwanted without the use of any chemicals. Is is worth going down this road. I have been successful using different methods such as carbon and DE mostly to get rid of the chlorophyl since there is no way to make chlorophyl taste good. Another was using a centrifuge.

Just a piece of info. The plates on my machine are turned vertical, not horizontal like all other rosin press so the oil slides off and into separate funels. This keeps the oil from sitting on a hot plate. They are also teflon coated to assist in breaking the surface tension making it easier to slide and get away from the heat (low heat).

1 Like

You might be right.

I have wondered is one of the reason people distil because they have to remove a solvent. Would this be beneficial for someone making full spectrum products. Of course they would have to rework there formula slightly. Is it cost effective enough for them. I know that CBD isolate is so cheap now its crazy so it would have to be people that are marketing a product with a full spectrum oil.

Thats why I am trying to see what price an oil like on the COA would fetch (I assume the THC oil would be more).
Then I can compare what the oil would be worth after further processing now that it will not be a naturally chemical free oil (if that even matters).

That is exactly what I am trying to figure out and I need to see what the oil is worth vs selling the machines. The machine will make aprox 18L per day with a very small footprint (no chemicals no danger). Is this beneficial, would it be an good addition to an existing operation.

Or can I hone in the oil and extract a specific type of oil at a very low cost. If that is possible I would license it to specific extraction facilities and we would make money together. That is of course after I properly know what the oil is worth.

I am not selling the oil or machine yet but am in a licensed facility. We are starting to use the oil to fulfill our own orders. We do sublingual strips, topicals, tinctures ect ect. The one problem I have found is each of the formulas had to be re-worked for the oil. The other problem is on the strips the platform was a little to small so I had to slightly boost the oil with an isolate so its no longer “chemical free”.

Absolutely correct and great comment. The moisture content runs 8-10% on average.

Your comment is exactly where I have found my direction to be. I have been looking heavily into the RSO/FECO market. That seems to be where my research keeps taking me.

I am trying to compare what that market vs what I will have after I am done with whatever additional process I perform on the oil.

Its not easy to do a market analysis on the oil. The prices are all over the place. What I have found is that it seems to cost me much less time and $ to make a RSO/FECO then it does for the other processes I studdied. Thats why I am looking in that direction but the market is still very difficult to analize.

1 Like

I will come back to this since I am out of time. A quick note that sound waves have been used for a very long time for extracting compounds naturally. Just have not seen it applied to cannabis.

1 Like

I don’t question it’s got a use, I just would like to see some more of this. Looking forward to your success.

2 Likes