new California butane sale laws??

Called it.

7 Likes

its gonna be interesting when an EPA agent follows a delivery truck for one of these big solvent companies that deliver and tags them $2500 for each delivery. This can bankrupt a few California companies if not playing by the rules. This will interesting to see this unfold.

I really dont see how the big companies are gonna get around this law once enforcement starts happening. Its an almost no brainer for the consumer…Try and buy a 500lb tank and just sit on it. the gas companies have a real issue in the future.

1 Like

My friends down in sacramento who do smaller scale operations say their N-butane source will continue selling tanks until they are force to shut it down.

4 Likes

I stumbled on this post trying to see what people were doing trying to get their propane (I know it’s a butane post ) but I live in Colorado where all Distributors need a business license along with your MED stuff. There is one company that will still sell gas, but they are rumored to snitch people out. That’s why I was trying to see if there was a method to remove the sulfur smell from propane and I found the answer, hopefully it will work

1 Like

Everybody just go get a Sellers / Wholesalers permit and you can order as much gas from whichever company to “resell” … (mind blown)

7 Likes

Possibly, but I imagine 13x will also adsorb a significant amount of the solvent. I have used pure copper still packing scrubby material to reactively adsorb the sulfur compounds from the solvent without adsorbing the solvent, itself.

@Roguelab I hope you are kidding about using Lye and 30% peroxide in the solvent?! That sounds like a recipe for a fiery explosion! :scream:

4 Likes

An honor receive a reply from you , hope you are doing well. Actually reminds me of the tip whenever you are doing moonshine you can pack your column to achieve that as well. So my question would be I have a 4" diameter by 36" column which can be reduced down to 24", About how much copper do you recommend and tightly of a pack ? Very intrigued to get this started !

1 Like

It generally takes some time for the reaction to occur, and it can be sped up with a touch of moisture, and a bit of heating/reflux in your collection pot with a condenser on top, or just keep circulating it with the recovery pump. If there is other junk in there you are worried about, you can do a cool recovery distillation (lower pot temperature than you will use during extractions) and/or 13X in the pot after the copper.

You are correct that the copper packing is used in ethanol production distillations for removing sulfur compounds, too. It works best if it is very clean, so if it is not shiny brand new, you can soak the mesh in citric acid water to clean it, then rinse with distilled, shake out excess water and air dry it. The moisture naturally adsorbed to its surface should be sufficient to initiate the reactions in the solvent.

5 Likes

My next question would be the more copper in the column the better? If I was to use some 13x what ratio to copper would you recommend ?

No not lying it a the way the oil/gas industrie get s rid of mercaptans for they are slightly acitic
But that process is not one I share on how to for the same reason
But it does work

2 Likes

It is dry here, looked today

1 Like

@Efficio

1 Like

I got him on a tapper

2 Likes

So it’s been a month since the new laws have gone in place. What has been everyone’s experience? Have prices gone up, going with deliveries, got a certain license just for gas? Just trying to get an idea of how the law is impacting everyone.

2 Likes

Thats a negative from BVV, I tried on july 13th, they emailed me saying Ca law prohibits this.

2 Likes

Someone go ro oregon or nevada with a uhaul and get a double up at least. Maybe i ahould have bought rhose 100 tanks

guess you havent heard of the secret butane handshake?? From what i hear, its business as usual after the secret handshake

:thinking::joy::rofl::joy::rofl:

7 Likes

All my suppliers continue delivering me clean gas

2 Likes

Still no issue at all getting butane

3 Likes

You guys must know the handshake. :joy::rofl::joy:

5 Likes