Needing some advice - Short path related (where did my THC go?)

I personally do not … But again, I am getting low THC % from other material than C02

Links to how…

Out of free spoons.

In OR and can be paid to continue…

4 Likes

It likely is not just one thing. At a quick glance, you have the possibility of low pH in your crude, definitely overcooking in the decarb phase, and could have a myriad of problems with your actual distillation SOP.

It’s likely either time to buy a clue (hire @cyclopath or any number of us in Oregon) or get to reading, reading, reading, and more reading. Also way past time to invest in in-house analytics. No reason (or excuses) at this point in the game to not have them.

2 Likes

Fire nearby: no fire out…

https://future4200.com/search?q=Phoscheck

3 Likes

You need to remove your heads (stuff that will distill at a lower temperature than your cannabinoids) or your temps are too high and you are also distilling your tails (stuff that will distill at a higher temperature than your cannabinoids). If you like to distill at like 150 and you still have terps, residuals, and other stuff in there you need to remove them, so you would run it at a lower temperature that doesnt distill over the cannabinoids and remove them, then raise the temperature to 150 and then make your distilled cannabinoids. If you need to dial in your temps and are distilling to hot, like 180 in my example, you could be distilling over other things besides the cannabinoids (and also any of those lower volitiles if you aren’t removing your heads).

2 Likes

Catalyzation due to retards?! I’m sorry I mean retardents…:man_shrugging::joy:

2 Likes

Are these head temp referance? In flask? Outside flask?

This may be a stupid question but aside from all of the other mystery possibilities could you explain how they currently ramp temperatures on the short path or what type of control is operating the show so to speak… I have recently started monitoring external boiling flask temperatures as a way to troubleshoot a top jacket on a mantle that is not performing correctly, And in doing so I was finding that the outside of the flask is receiving wild temperature swings, even on the smallest of pv/sv differences…say bumping up 10*c…would inconsistent energization of flask ever spike enough energy in flask for isomerization given long enough dwelling times?

In flask

1 Like

Ok cool that was my guess…just wanted to double check …regulated with probe in flask? Or outside?

Probe is in flask.

1 Like

Thanks for clarification…sorry to everyone else for sidetracking​:confounded::stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

1 Like

Where do you sourse your biomass for making crude? Is there a chance it got hit by the fires last season. We were speculating a few years ago that fire retardant dropped from the sky could cause some isomerization. I also thought I read it used a metal catalyst to make d10 @Kingofthekush420 might be able to help figure out what’s going on

2 Likes

Glass is a lousy thermal conductor. I suspect those spikes you’re seeing on the outside of the flask are pretty much par for the course when controlling based on temp of fluid in the flask (which doesn’t seem to be the incorrect place to measure).

1 Like

I’ve ran short path for going on 6 years now probe in flask…variations of thermowell or not depending on what musings I was entertaining at that time about which variables… always gave a lot of trust and credit to the mantles to hold proper temps and not overshoot like crazy but this latest mantle I purchased has me wanting to Frankenstein some of the wattage based controls @SkyHighLer talks about in another post…

Maintaining consistent heat on the outside of flask seems like a great idea if it works correctly…

A number of colleagues seem to say that it does but I have always ended up putting the probe back in the thermowell when I tried it

1 Like

No, heads mean the stuff concentrated at the beginning of your distillation or the stuff that distills at lower temperatures than CBD/THC.

1 Like

Not sure which post you were responding to but yes I know that in the one I was asking the poster if they were referencing temperatures at what location

I think the miscommunication lies in my interchanging vapour temp and head Temp as terminology

I’ve been having the same problem as you on distilling CO2 oil on the short path… I’m loosing potency. I fucking hate short path, wipers are way better.

Happy to help out in any way I can.

I also sell short paths you can find the thread here

You’re likely dealing with a problem we’ve run into and hopefully fixed. I will DM you here to start a conversation