Need help printing small labels In-House __ For Batch Tracking

Over the last two years iv pondered, whats the best way to track and identify batch numbers on our product labels.

At first we were printing extremely small QR code stickers and placing them on the labels.

We now want to implement a system that has actual batch numbers on the label. We want to continue printing thousands of labels in advance and just add the sticker with the batch number as they are manufactured.

We’ve already printed labels with the blank space needed for the new batch sticker.

The problem is I cant find a way to print those small stickers in-house, as there needed.
I need to find a way to print sheets of small stickers, on demand. It be a huge plus to have the sheets pre-cut.

Anybody have any input?

@anon56994712
@ky_cbd

7 Likes

Laser printer with a stock label that fits in the area on your sticker

Is it possible to just get batch numbers already printed on the sticker? It would save you the cost of a second sticker and the labor ($$) of putting the sticker on. Plus might look more professional. One thing with employees putting stickers on is they’re never perfectly straight, with printing it’s in the exact spot every time, less sloppy

5 Likes

I’ve got a label printer like this, prints very nice quality labels. You buy rolls of the label size you need. https://www.primera.com/lx500c-color-label-printer-config.html

3 Likes

For printing all my carbon chemistry labels. I use a high end hp laser printer and they look just as good as the ones carbon chemistry sends me.

Toners are mad cheap on Amazon.

We get about 25000 color labels outta a set of toners.

3 Likes

How many of these small stickers do you think you’d need on a weekly basis? Also have u considered one of the hand held thermal print guns like this?

AIX7 Portable Handheld Inkjet Printer Gun, Intelligent High Definition Wireless Handheld Printer Encoder for Trademark,Logo,Bar,Code,Graphic,Date, with 4.3 Inch HD LED Touch Screen Amazon.com

1 Like

Unable to remember which model we used but in biotech we used a specific zebra label printer to print solvent proof, sturdy and track+trace-able labels in long strips. Idk if that helps bc I doubt you’re hand labeling at your scale

1 Like

Check out zebra printers if you need just black and white. For custom cut stickers we use the Afinia L801 with the 220 finisher. The finisher can cut out any shape you need. Zebra printer is probably 500. The afinia with the finisher is like 35k. Also the cheapest way would be get custom pre cut labels from Avery and use a regular computer printer to print the ones you need.

Hickman labels and coast to coast labels are my go to for label paper and for pre cuts.

4 Likes

What about stamping them

4 Likes

I use the Avery labels for In process stuff. I have a sheet of 81 printed with every batch and techs use them on any document related to the batch (saves a lot of handwriting), instruments in use, glassware in use, etc.

They are formatted and start at 1 and go to 81:

Batch#
Non-final label

Edit: here’s one of the templates that doesn’t have the non-final on it. Hit ctrl+F, type in [Name] and replace it with batch number, and then hit repeat on every example on page. Print. Voila.
Avery template for batches.docx (28.5 KB)

2 Likes

I use a Zebra Printer for my small stickers. They are 0.5 inch by 0.5 inch - which is pretty small. You can get them in other sizes to fit your box there. They come on sheets that are 3 across. They print pretty easy and they are cheap also.

Plus you can print almost anything with a zebra… if you don’t want it in color.

I also have a Primera 900 - which does all kinds of colored labels and everything. I don’t use it to print these labels, cause the zebra does it WAY faster and can gang print things via spreadsheets so the numbers increment up, etc.

1 Like

Has anyone used the Afinia L801? I am SICK TO DEATH of our Epson TM C3500 (used for ingredient labels), and also tired of buying labels (decorative product labels) and am heavily considering buying the L801. The videos I’ve seen on it seems like its a pretty skookum unit

I have one… has been pretty finicky with different label sizes for me but once you get it dialed in it’s pretty good. Haven’t used another label maker like this, usually just get them done professionally on shrink sleeves or preprinted.

Inkjet printing is how most industries do this and is what our company has utilized in house.

-Can change on the fly, save and load batch information
-Wont print to many or to little, no waste
-Do not need to worry about temperature swings and labels falling off.

Only issue I have with it is sometimes the ink can be finicky to get going, but just get quality cartridges. Of course the startup cost of this is higher, but usually you can get a unit for $200-$500 with ink.

If you really want to print on the label, you would have to use a handheld unit and do it while the labels were still on the backing (still pretty quick). If you want to automate it, you can print directly onto the bottom or top of your container with a photo eye and belt set up.

How many labels do you think you’ve ran through it? We run through about 5k labels a month and we have to buy 5k labels a month because our current printer cannot match the quality of the printer our print shop uses. The quality I have seen in the videos for that unit seems pretty top notch and the speed is insane. Do you use a label applicator to apply your labels to bags and such?

Maybe 20k? We use it for promos and real short runs but not much else.

We haven’t gotten one yet, just carefully placing them on by hand.

The quality is nice, the software is what was annoying. But I’m no IT guy.

1 Like

Cool deal man! I appreciate the info. Currently our labels are printed on a wide format printer and its a PITA peeling labels off a world map lol. Our ingredient labels are applied by handheld applicator and that sped us up quite nice. It’ll be sweet to run spool → spool on our decorative labels. So I’ve also seen the VP700 advertised and it looks just like the afinia but it’s another brand. Would you know if there are really any effective differences between the two?

1 Like

Never used one but looks like it’s probably the same thing just packaged with someone else’s brand on it :man_shrugging:

I’d go with whoever sounds more helpful on the phone

2 Likes