Need advice on where to put digital vacuum gauge on my SPD system

Yeah MCT is not a good choice. If you want to know what smells worse than burnt ass hair, it’s distilled MCT. Just look up all the threads of people wondering why their ultrasound-mutilated MCT tastes and smells so damn bad.

Disty makes good grease but you have to make disty first

2 Likes

Is there any particular reason why I should not use coconut oil for my test runs ?? I don’t have a problem using olive or canola oil but my girl owns a SPA where all you guys can go get free massages for all the help you’ve given me :slight_smile: and if im able to fraction of the raw coconut oil into something more like MCT it would be great for massage oil, that’s one of the reasons im sorta going in that direction, but if its a bad idea I will try olive or canola

1 Like

Nope coconut will work just fine. In fact, it’ll probably give you a good picture of what happens of you don’t winterize your crude well before distilling (spoiler: it sucks). Good learning though

2 Likes

Where’s it at my sciatica has been acting up this month. :flushed: Pressure systems in New England are so erratic. Every time it goes below a certain temp I feel like my left leg is semi-non existant.

2 Likes

Hell yeah thanks for the tip, at what ratio of alcohol and coconut oil should I winterize at ? coconut oil by itself gets hard when its cold enough

Oh wait a sec I 'll find the horror pic from a wiper post

1 Like

I wouldn’t bother winterizing the coconut oil (sorry, understandable that it was confusing). It’s almost all nonpolar fat that will filter out in winterization, leaving you very little to distill (also, the whole filtering process would be the most miserable thing imaginable lol). You can still distill it with the fats, what I meant is it will be very easy to see the behavior of the fats in the distillation process, so when you run canna you know what you’re looking for. For instance, the yield will be cloudy, the stream of condensing oil will look almost clumpy, and if you have a leak it will smell like a dying locomotive. You’ll still learn all the lessons fine, you’ll just get an extra one

1 Like

excellent !!! I will do this and see how it goes, im gonna have a hard time smelling things cause im just recovering from covid and smell in non existent at the moment but its coming back slightly :slight_smile: Thank you very much for all this info Sid and thanks to everybody else that contributed your knowledge, this forum is really amazing I really hope someday I can give something back, imma start pumping !!

1 Like

Always happy to help. Sorry to hear about the Covid, good that you’re recovering though. Trust me when I say, if you could smell nothing else, you’d smell bad distillation heads

3 Likes

Couldn’t find the thread. It’s a wiper that’s ull of lipids waxes and everything else that’s not supposed to be there.

1 Like

did you try “extractech” as a search term?

1 Like

thanks bro !! Could I use some oil that’s been winterized for vac grease ? or does it have to be disty ?

I just got a bit high and realized, are you talking about our internal pressure systems like from our hear rate and fluids ?? And how being in different environments our bodys internal pressure is different ? Or am I under selling it when I say I got a “bit high” and actually sky rocketed ?

I would stick to disty or melted isolate. You want absolutely nothing volatile init or it will compromise your vacuum. If you don’t have disty, vacuum grease will work fine. Using disty instead of grease is like the 3000th thing you can do to make your distillate better

Meaning there’s 2,999 better options before using disty ?? So what is option number 1 ? Cause if its such a big issue like im learning today, why not go for the best solution ?? I imagine vac grease is the best solution right ?? Which one ? Whats the creme of the creme ? hahaha…

Hey on a totally different subject, am I gonna have a hard time cleaning my SPD glassware if I go ahead with distilling coconut oil ? Would I have less of a hard time cleaning the glassware if I go with the canola or olive oil ? I ask cause im super obsessive about cleaning and coconut oil is a pain in the ass just to clean from spoons, pans and such, but maybe with alcohol its super easy… I dunno that’s why I ask lol…

Nah I just meant there are a lot of other more important parts to running a good distillation than what you use as grease.

Cleaning the system shouldn’t be a big deal, just go to town with hot water/dish soap and the rinse with solvent. If your boiling flask gets nasty, run some hot acid and then soak with some lye. Your pump oil is going to be the big thing but it’s worth the effort to work out the kinks at least once

Ok man thanks a lot, I will do as you say, and just before I leave you alone this Sunday, what vac grease would your recommend ?

1 Like

I use the dow stuff. It’s not the best but if you run the joints a little bit dry and hold your vac deep enough to run on the cooler side it works just fine. Before you shell out $300 for a tube of appion, just get some good disty lol

Edit: this stuff: Amazon.com

FYI, if you get running too hot because your vacuum isn’t deep enough (e.g. over 200C), it will soften and get pushed into your system by atmospheric pressure. C’est la vie

1 Like

Weather. When it’s cold out my back and leg are destroyed beyond belief and when it’s warm out my back and leg feel really nice.

In another thread I said I wanted to move to Sweden in my late life years… What the fuck was I thinking when I wrote that.

Winter in New England is just a butt fuck of different pressure systems. In Massachusetts it’s true what they say “Give it 5 minutes and the seasons will change” :sweat_smile: