Need advice on where to put digital vacuum gauge on my SPD system

Meaning there’s 2,999 better options before using disty ?? So what is option number 1 ? Cause if its such a big issue like im learning today, why not go for the best solution ?? I imagine vac grease is the best solution right ?? Which one ? Whats the creme of the creme ? hahaha…

Hey on a totally different subject, am I gonna have a hard time cleaning my SPD glassware if I go ahead with distilling coconut oil ? Would I have less of a hard time cleaning the glassware if I go with the canola or olive oil ? I ask cause im super obsessive about cleaning and coconut oil is a pain in the ass just to clean from spoons, pans and such, but maybe with alcohol its super easy… I dunno that’s why I ask lol…

Nah I just meant there are a lot of other more important parts to running a good distillation than what you use as grease.

Cleaning the system shouldn’t be a big deal, just go to town with hot water/dish soap and the rinse with solvent. If your boiling flask gets nasty, run some hot acid and then soak with some lye. Your pump oil is going to be the big thing but it’s worth the effort to work out the kinks at least once

Ok man thanks a lot, I will do as you say, and just before I leave you alone this Sunday, what vac grease would your recommend ?

1 Like

I use the dow stuff. It’s not the best but if you run the joints a little bit dry and hold your vac deep enough to run on the cooler side it works just fine. Before you shell out $300 for a tube of appion, just get some good disty lol

Edit: this stuff: Amazon.com

FYI, if you get running too hot because your vacuum isn’t deep enough (e.g. over 200C), it will soften and get pushed into your system by atmospheric pressure. C’est la vie

1 Like

Weather. When it’s cold out my back and leg are destroyed beyond belief and when it’s warm out my back and leg feel really nice.

In another thread I said I wanted to move to Sweden in my late life years… What the fuck was I thinking when I wrote that.

Winter in New England is just a butt fuck of different pressure systems. In Massachusetts it’s true what they say “Give it 5 minutes and the seasons will change” :sweat_smile:

FOUND IT!!! Question about Wiped Film performance(what's real and what's hype) - #14 by drPaul

1 Like

My two cents, dow corning is absolutely garbage. It’s used for lowntemp work like distilling water if your lucky bro not have it contaminate your batch.

Apiezon 501 or h are the two go to ones. Also a cheaper but effective one is kluber.

Crappier grease means less ultimate vacuum bc combined leaks prevent performance ratings.

1 Like

dammnnn… that looks nasty

1 Like

A photo tribute to always dewax and polish your crude before starting any kind of spd or wfe.

1 Like

Your 2 cents are super expensive lol… that Apiezon is crazy expensive or maybe it seems that way because I convert that to pesos and its overwhelming, ill go with the Kluber option and after I cash in from my first disty run ill get that royal vac grease… thanks for the tip king

Really ?? Also polish ?? like with activated carbon, celite, bentonite and the whole shebang ??? I thought I would only winterize my crude and start distilling afterwards

1 Like

Well, as with making any other drug; The more pure and clean with any starting chemical mixture, the more clean and pure the end result. Shit in, shit out

I like reading into illegal chemical synthesis. LSD requires a chemist to make the starting chemical mixture as pure as humanly and scientifically possible before they start going down the process of synthesis.

I would never make LSD but the process intrigues me

2 Likes

Those should all help.

Edit : I forgot this, The Pepsi challenge/etho color remediation thread

5 Likes

Never say never, if you ever need an assistant you know where to reach me, I just took a couple hits of LSD while I was infected with the rona and I swear to you that it could be the perfect medicine for covid, it made me feel so good like you have no idea and I was having a shitty rona day feeling a bit sick, and I remembered LSD improves your overall oxygenation and that’s exactly where the rona hits you the most, your bodys oxygen level drops, so I took some LSD because I felt the oxygen thing was a big enough excuse to do it and it worked like a charm.

So anyway you wanna make some anti rona medicine hmu lol !!!
Thanks for the links btw, I will definitely do a dive deep into those threads

1 Like

You use very little at a time. It spreads out to like 50 cents a run or a dollar at best. Also kluber isn’t very expensive. It’s less than apiezon but overall you use alot less with these greases than you’d ever use with dow corning. Also the cleaner your input is the lower your vac will be and the better it will run. The dirtier your batch is the limited result will apply to the end product.

2 Likes

I just wouldn’t attempt it. It sounds easy but there’s such a difference between extraction and chemical synthesis. The fact you need to farm rye and hope some gets infected with one of the most dangerous to be handled spores/mushrooms out there. … … Dark rooms, lighting differences, oxygen levels, respiratory suits and fume hoods.

Im good on that shit.

Not to mention it’s highly illegal and if you fuck up, its not like dabs where you can just say fuck it and dab poop soup and feel like you can go on with your life saying whatever; If you fuck up making LSD you could potentially die, burn down your house, knock yourself out with a chemical fume, inhale dangerous ass spores by accident. … I’m not willing to take those risks.

I also think the feds look out for people who buy precursors.

1 Like

Generally it seems the major clean up works best between 1st and 2nd pass because there is some stuff made during the initial distillation that can be cleaned out. Water washing in particular is very useful.

I do agree with @spdking that the dow grease is crap but it will work. I haven’t had the pleasure of using kluber so maybe that’s the better value proposition

2 Likes

One of my favorite process runs is .

Extract.
Ethyl solute.
Winterize.
Carbon scrub.
Evap.
First pass
Water washes.
(Optional chroma for remediation)
Second pass.

I find this tried and true method resolves hella issues with Distillation up from for people learning. And it makes high potency shit too.

7 Likes

Agreed. I prefer methyl winterization but I agree, water washes and chromatography belong between pass 1 and 2. Water wash is pretty much necessary after column anyways to neutralize. Only downside is the effort of redissolving and also making sure no heptane contaminates pump oil

1 Like

Another cold trap?

2 Likes