Nanoemmulsions - and Surfactants

Good Morning Guys,

First time posting here -

I’ve seen some posts about emulsions and we’ve started playing around with making beers here in the UK with our full-spectrum oil.

We’ve been running tests with Lecithin and polysorbate 80 mixture which has been successful but we have noticed that the taste is incredibly bitter. We can balance out the flavour but ideally we would want to use a less bitter surfactant, does anyone have experience which surfactants can be used? Has anyone ever used ever used Kolliphor® RH 40 - and had experience in making a stable emulsion?

The oil we are currently using is an MCT but we plan to change into an LCT.

3 Likes

A quick search turns up this thread. If you haven’t read into it I would recommend doing so.

4 Likes

Quillaja extract tastes pretty ok. Definitely compared to those other two.

4 Likes

Have you tried Kolliphor® RH 40?

No, I haven’t tried that one.

1 Like

Quillaja extract - Do you use it by itself or do you use a blend?

I can’t get my q-Naturale to produce a translucent emulsion, but my polysorbate 80/lecithin is fine… losing my mind over this lol

We have a Hielscher sonicator too, but all I seem to make is milk :man_facepalming:t2:

The photo is my polysorbate translucent run… tastes terrible!

1 Like

Hmm that is odd. Have you talked to Ingredion about it? They have documents giving recommended guidelines for producing clear vs turbid emulsions.

2 Likes

I emailed my rep today but she was out of the office today, hoping she gets back to me soon though! Do you happen to have a link to the guidelines?

I think so. I’ll try and dig it up

EDIT: nope, seem to have lost it. If they end up sending it to you though I’d love to get another copy

1 Like

No worries, I’ll send you a copy if they get it to me!

In the mean time, is there a value I should be comparing besides HLB for going polysorbate to q-Naturale? Or a general ratio of oil to surfactant for translucent emulsions?

There is a suggested ratio but it’s unique to the emulsifier. I don’t know what it is for q Nat because I lost the sheet. I think it was 3:1 maybe? What are you using?

I’m just trying to use q-Naturale, olive oil, and CBD isolate to go translucent. Tried with distillate too but that also got milky.

Is this the link you’re referring to?

Have you had success with just q-Naturale and cannabis oil, or do you always need another oil?

Have you tried without the canola oil? They didn’t recommend I use it.

I don’t have guidelines but I found this:

it mentions that you can use a ratio of 4:1 for oil loading. I don’t have Q-Naturale but we’ve ordered some samples.

Initially I managed to make translucent emulsions by using the following ratios: 2wt% CBD oil, 2wt% Polysorbate 80, 1wt% Lecithin, 95wt% water

This tasted so bad even when diluted that we started reducing the amount to 4:1. The result is essentially milk colored.

Potentially if you use more Q-naturale it could solve the problem?

@TheGoodBud @MagisterChemist

I had good results today with just Q-naturale and distillate. I did 4:1 by weight Q-naturale:distillate as you suggested. The Q-naturale is actually only 14% saponin and the rest is water, so the amount of Q-naturale solution I had to use was quite large - it came out to about 27% by weight. Does this seem right? It seems to be significantly more surfactant than is recommended by Ingredion in their white paper, but it did produce a translucent result. Their white paper would suggest that I can use 2% Q-naturale to 8% oil… when I tried doubling the amount of oil, I produced a milky product again.

3 Likes

Well I’m glad you’re making progress. And it does taste better doesn’t it. I mean making clear emulsions can be tricky. And just because it’s not clear doesn’t mean it’s not stable. After all orange crush is cloudy and it stays good for decades.

2 Likes

Oh yeah, it’s awesome… a little bitter, but nothing compared to PS80.

So if it isn’t translucent, that means the particles are >250 nm, right? So how can I sterile filter it without losing product then? Sterile filtration requires 220nm filter if I’m not mistaken.

I’m just not sure that’s correct. Where is your source for the claim if it’s cloudy it must be above 250?

It’s fairly well documented: AN OVERVIEW ON NANOEMULSION: A NOVEL APPROACH | INTERNATIONAL JOURNAL OF PHARMACEUTICAL SCIENCES AND RESEARCH

“The dispersed phase typically comprises small particles or droplets, with a size range of 5 nm-200 nm, and has very low oil/water interfacial tension. Because the droplet size is less than 25% of the wavelength of visible light, Nanoemulsions are transparent.”

Violet has the lowest wavelength in the visible spectrum, and its wavelength is 380 nm. 25% of that is 95 nm, for example. Red is at 750 nm, so 25% of that is 188 nm, so anything below about 250 nm will be translucent.

2 Likes