My distillate has a weird smell

I’d suggest you have your buddy fix it, but I suspect the supply chain is longer than that.

Which probably means that it really needs third party testing to know what’s in it. I imagine it also makes the probability of that happening extremely remote.

Most folks asking about odors in distillate are not dealing with anything remotely “floral” in nature. “Burnt rubber” is the most common description.

Im suspicious that you may not be dealing with poorly produced distillate, but rather with something that has been cut. If you have access to everclear (190 proof), try dissolving a gram in 5mls and show us the results. If you can’t source 190, you can substitute 91% isopropanol.

Without basic lab equipment there is not much you can do other than

Adding vac will help.

Cheapest vacuum you can acquire would be a water aspirator, thingverse probably has one you can print. Harbor freight also as a ~$100 unit that will get the job done.

3 Likes

If it the burnt rubber smell now that you say that what can I do from there

1. read. This thread. From the top. Twice.

2. read some of the threads hit by the search query you were handed. Not the hits. The threads.

3. do as @YeahBet suggests.

4. get tested for Covid, because you’ve lost your sense of smell if you can’t tell “burnt rubber” from “floral”.

9 Likes

Yo you were a grasshopper to once cut me some slack if it’s the rubber smell what’s up

1 Like

See above…

I don’t see how it can be made any more clear…

If it’s stinky, especially if “burnt rubber” describes it well, then it is most likely degraded terpenes. Which happens during distillation.

A second round of distillation is the correct solution. As you can’t achieve that, heating and stirring is all you’ve got. Vacuum would help.

Strangely enough, you’re not the first to run into this problem, and the question has been answered repeatedly…checking out some of the other threads in which it has been explored should be informative.

4 Likes

Someone might get whacked with the spoon rather than having it offered up

6 Likes

What temp should I aim for and watch out and what’s the lowest

Warm enough to melt it and lower the viscosity so you can stir it. 65C min imo

If you use water as @YeahBet suggested, that gives you a hard 100C upper limit.

Anywhere in there will get the job done, warmer will get it done faster, and also hasten oxidation (the darkening @YeahBet notes).

Without vacuum you’re unlikely to be particularly happy with the outcome.

If you poke around in the other threads on the subject you should notice “over night in the vac oven” suggested as a solution.

Pretty sure there are directions for performing the “de-stink” in a microwave too.

1 Like

That might not be an unreasonable response…

1 Like

Sorry, I was just joshing. Water washing sounds reasonable? I remember reading across that thread, but had forgotten about it

Before you mess around with heating it, pour it out like a slab on parchment in a 1” flat pan like you see people make slabs. Fold the corners to keep it on the paper. Surface area, heat, and patience are going to be your friend here.

There’s definitely way better ways to do this but require chemicals and/or equipment and to be honest your posts don’t tell me that’s a good option for you.

3 Likes

Is that what all this is so water bath and vaccum for the best results without distilling it

Basically huge water bath in Pyrex baking dish or should I use those things to make pancakes heated things

You could just do a big Pyrex dish on basically any steady heat source. As long as you can keep it around 200 degrees you should be fine. You’re not going to very high temps so whatever you have will work. I think you’re talking about a griddle or something but I don’t know about that.

If you can pour it out in the glass so it’s just a thin film like a millimeter deep it’ll let go of the stink faster. Without equipment/solvents your options are pretty limited but it should help. Some stuff won’t evap off on its own though so don’t expect a miracle depending on what’s in your oil.

3 Likes

This dude really called you a grasshopper.

3 Likes

What other threads show de stink techniques for distillate? Trying to read around but running co2 crude on a WFE and trying to get the smell as gone as possible didn’t do a terp fraction in co2 extraction so gonna try to do on WFE for first pass but any more suggestions or threads on stuff already made into distillate or parameters to rerun and remove?

Search query was simply distillate + smell. IIRC it yielded. it’s up thread as a clickable link.

Distilling again is the right response as you’ve got the tools.

Second+pass+Parameters might yield, but I’m too lazy to go look (and covered in &^*^$ hash),

2 Likes

Bump trap it

1 Like

Wiped films pull mixed fractions. You won’t be able to clean it up or male it as good as spd. Get a quality spd to cleanup your wiper work. Common practice now adays. Everyone is sick of the foot smelling distillate from wipers.

2 Likes

So wipers just smear?

Sage words from the king again…

3 Likes