My buddy doesnt believe in indica or sativa in 2021. What are your thoughts

My buddy told me that everything is basically a hybrid in 2021 because of all the crosses. I found it hard to argue with him to be honest. He told me about the many times he sold a sativa to someone at night and the next morning they say “good shit bro this put me right to sleep last night.” He listed some other reasons i forgot, but i was just looking for some opinions on his thoughts. (Yes i know i put this in the wrong section)

4 Likes

First I would say that indica and sativa are GROWTH traits not EFFECT traits.

Second he’s right, most everything that isn’t an heirloom or land race is hybridized but still give off varying effects and have different aromatic profiles.

40 Likes

He’s right.

There’s plenty of data indicating there’s no consistency in sativa or indica in their cannabinoid or terpene profiles.

Maybe you’d see some differences in unadulterated land race strains. But yeah, at this point it’s all meaningless.

21 Likes

I think we should ban him

37 Likes

I would agree with your friend. I don’t believe a true indica or sativa exist outside of the VERY RARE landrace strains. Everything has been hybridized to ensure specific traits in the cultivar. High yielding, heat resistant, microbial resistant, ext. Are traits that cultivars receive from breeding with other cultivars.

1 Like

Agree with friend.

What I hate more is people classifying carts with terpene mixes as indica sativa or hybrid. They are not.

17 Likes

alot of things called indica are Afghanica Short stout plants are Afghan, indicas have stout usually hollow stems and longer internodes and golf ball buds. Theres almost no sativas anymore.

5 Likes

I feel energized when I eat citrus. Why wouldn’t I feel energized when consuming limonene in a cart?

12 Likes

@anon32743824 contain you enthusiasm, he hasn’t said true things that hurt people’s feelings yet…

3 Likes

What’s the difference between indica and sativa? Other than terpene profiles?

1 Like

I’m not sure this was EVER true though… I believe that was always 95% set and setting i.e., psychological autosuggestion.

10 Likes

I dunno man, limonene heavy strains usually give a more energetic high, I think we really do under rate the amount that terpenes modulate with THC’s effects. Set and setting would only apply if it was solely THC.

My best crack at the sativa indica conundrum, is simply various terpene profiles, and how they modulate with the THC… now that could have differentials between people of course, but, overall, sativa/indicas usually have olfactory differences as well as growth variations.

Indicas are usually gassy/piney/skunks.

Sativas are usually sweet/tart/aromatic.

(In my experience) does not mean it’s some “truth” just general observation. Feel free to educate me otherwise.

5 Likes

But jack herer is piney and its a sativa.

So even loosely its hard to classify.

1 Like

It’s a hybrid, and it certainly ain’t kush piney.

Sativas can be earthy however.

2 Likes

Set and setting apply even if you don’t take any drug at all, just sitting on your couch. But even if terpenes modulate the effects, it will still be that + psychology… it’s not mutually exclusive.

3 Likes

This is why I said feel free to educate me otherwise.

We are hitting on a neat topic…

Alright, who wants to throw clinical trials to see the differences??? :rofl: @MagisterChemist you set the standards for placebo. :rofl:

What about cannabinoid profile? CBG as a sativa CBN as an indica? I make sativa and indica carts with 15% CBG and CBN along with “strain specific” terps and i do get good feedback from real heads. But for most users it seems like the label and color scheme of packaging helps determine the placebo effect a lot of cannabis users receive

2 Likes

@Headys absolutely those are going to be of factor too, any and all variability of consumption applies, as do all psychological variances, and environmental as well.

1 Like

I had many people people request “indica distillate” vs “sativa distillate”, we would dutifully give them oil with no terpenes at all, and nearly identical cannabinoid profiles, they’d add them to edibles with no terpenes, and then, at the end, people would tell me the “sativa chocolates” were peppy and the “indica chocolates” were stony.

To me this means it’s all just in people’s heads.

Maybe there are effects from terpenes – I can’t say, because i think the effects people have been reporting are hopelessly entangled with their psychology.

24 Likes

Well my first post. I’m not as technical as most people here, but I’ll give my 2 cents.
I’ve knocked out from smoking a so called ‘Sativa’ I grew from Ace Seeds. 12 weeks flowering was not worth the effort and time. Sure, the high was unique or at least for me. But after that, I have to agree. Sativa vs indica doesn’t mean anything when it comes to the high from my own experience. The only thing I’ve ran into that effects if I’m gonna knock out or be energetic is how long I let the plant flower for. So, for my home grows, I always harvest a little early.

2 Likes