Mushroom extraction and psilocibine

These are equivalent to an 1/8th of mushrooms, correct? They aren’t 3.5g of Psilocybin ?

Its a trip that we are coming to a point where people are branding mushrooms.

8 Likes

I need some of that in my life! Like yesterday… Why can’t I find anything like this?

2 Likes

Each gummy is 0.14g for a total of 3.5g in each bag. Which would be a pretty good party.

3 Likes

https://instagram.com/psilo.delic1?igshid=bexmvyg9o5k

Reach out to them

3 Likes

I’ve got some ideas on how to make them

2 Likes

I need to reach out to someone that I was talking to about this. He was saying that he might be able to send me a pressure cooker, and some other odds and ends to get started. It’s not from lack desire on my end. I’ve been reading about doing it etc for many many moons. I’m just in a shitty position, so it’s taken some time to commit. I was already thinking about this today before the thread popped up, and confirmed that it’s something I need to get serious about. Call it a sign of “fate”…

1 Like

There are plenty of teks out there that’s do not require a pressure cooker and can be done with basic supplies from any garden center.

3 Likes

This video goes over how to make gummies from blue juice or powder. Would love to know how long these things last. watch?v=UrKVpcrfKlg (I think I’m too new to post full links)

Does anyone know of research done on the p-bin/p-cin content of the cold extraction method “blue juice”? Based on my extremely basic knowledge, I think once things get blue (oxidation?) degradation of the actives is extremely quick.

2 Likes

If you add acid it turns tea blue and makes for a neat finishing. Impress your friends and horrify the public in general.

4 Likes

I’ll have to do some research, but it’s something I have to get serious about. The benefits, are the benefits that need in my life right now, so I need to get a little serious about it

It’s a fun hobby once you get properly setup and sterilized. :smiley:

2 Likes

If it’s 4aco then it’s definitely misrepresenting claiming it’s 3.5g of psil*cybin.

4aco is awesome for what it is, & due to how it is metabolized, feels very similar in some ways.
However in higher doses you really start to notice the differences. I think both should be openly available. But people need to be told which is used in a product

6 Likes

That’s a pair of trippy socks :joy:

I believe this chart is wrong.
If you do an extraction of ground biomass into pure acetone or methanol, at room temperature, you get nothing out. Zero.

The hot acid extraction is way more efficient.
The basification is not such a critical moment.
That’s the transfer to ether which gets messy.
Once evaporated, one gets a yellowish extract.
This is the critical step. If not protected, that yellowish extract turns to dark blue in few hours. In parallel, the psilocine peak disapears, and another one forms. I believe it forms a dimer or even a trimer upon oxidation.

7 Likes

I agree, acetic acid extraction is far superior. Methanol will absolutely extract the actives if you macerate the fruits in methanol but the alkaloids have very little affinity for acetone, hence its use as an antisolvent.

Your right that the blue oxidation is a polymer formed from the degradation of the alkaloids. However, im not convinced that oxygen alone is sufficient to cause this polymerization. Did you know that there are mushrooms that contain psilocybin and psilocin that do not bruise blue when handled?

5 Likes

Ive posted a few other papers that deal with this same issue, this is just the most recent paper that’s relevant to the conversation.

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/full/10.1002/anie.201910175

The formation of dimers or any polymers is chiefly catalyzed by enzymes and not oxygen (edit: Not oxygen alone anyhow.), although the psilocin is still somewhat oxygen sensitive. Not much info on the lesser trytamines arugenascin, baeocystin, norbaeocystin, and norpsilocin or their stability in oxygen. I dont know near enough to speculate on something like that.

6 Likes

Enzymes likely catalyze the oxidation in situ, an oxidation by O2 and/or perhaps other oxidant potentially present (the most abundant being O2).

But in case of the hot extraction process I was describing, there is likely not that much enzymes present. Otherwise, oxidation would be favored during the hot acid digestion or in room temp steps. I observed that this occurred during the hours following the production of a small concentrate (~1 g, seemingly at 40-50% psilocine according to GC semi quantitative data), which was stored in the fridge at c.a. 8°C.

What explains this sudden sensitivity of the compound, is the pH change following basification, and the increased contact with ambient O2 after removing the solvent (ether, in which O2 is not that much soluble compared to ambiant atmosphere).

Many redox reaction involve consumption (or production) of protons, and the energy required to make them happens (to which the redox potential is proportional to) is thus dependent on the pH. The oxidation of psilocine likely produces proton(s) (e.g. like oxidation of water to O2: 2 H2O → O2 + 4 H+ + 4 e-). Thus, psilocine is more reducing (= more oxidizable) at high pH than at low pH.

This explains at part why several people observe that adding ascorbic acid to the concentrate can significantly extend the resistance to oxidation. It may be not only because ascorbic acid competes for reaction with O2, but also simply because pH is low enough to suppress psilocine oxidation by O2. Other non redox acid may also works I guess.

7 Likes

Coupling our comments here, one could infer that those strains do not get blue as the necessary enzymes may be absent and/or that the species internal pH is low enough to mitigate psilocine oxidation.

Alternatively, other enzymes could also be able to reverse the reaction, and hence prevent it.

2 Likes

Do you by any chance know if you can test for psilocin in an GC with FID? or does it require an MS?

2 Likes

Seems to work perfectly fine with FID.
I remember reading some practical course instructions where they were even using nicotine as a standard to calibrate the quantification of psilocine and other alkaloïds.

2 Likes