Multiple recovery coils?

I’m also wondering, I have 1.5” going directly to my 3” mol sieve, so the plan was to put a T on the sieve to run to 2 coils. Wonder if that would increase recovery, or if it bottlenecks at the T? If I can get 3lbs/minute I will be one happy camper…

Reason for this is I really do not want to buy a chiller and don’t think I have the power to run it, so thought 2 coils is my next best option

I guess I could lower one of those good ole turkey probes through my valve. Every time I thought about it I was thinking of getting some fancy wireless probe lol.

Turkey probe won’t help. temps won’t register.

This is it how I solved the problem last time.

K-type thermoprobe in solvent tank and collection.

…in through the out door as it was

Edit: no Swagelok does NOT carry that part

7 Likes

Preferably I’d have two lines all the way, but share a mol sieve. You can T them together but I wouldn’t taper the hose down smaller, I’d leave the ID as big as the vapor

2 Likes

Awesome. Going to run two lines from my mol sieve to two different coils. I’ll keep everyone posted on flow rates!

I’ll run one run with one coil first, then I’ll run same amount with second coil going and come back. Gimme a week.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Jacketed molecular sieves help.

1 Like

Does anyone know if the length of hose from my coils to my solvent tank play a role in recovery speed? Shorter hose, faster speed?

I would get 6" more than what you need on your lines just so that you have a little bit of give. Other than that I would measure exact distances.

2 Likes

Just tried daisy chaining them. Similar situation and I got 1.8lb a minute compared to 3.6lb with two independent lines in the beginning.

I have my tanks sitting in a garbage can that is insulated and stuff with dry ice and two coils in coolers with ice I’m not sure how I would get them much cooler besides a slurry and I found that not to be cost effective.

I mean I originally got 3.6lbs a minute for over half of the recovery so I think it’s got to be a combination of the discrepancy from the water bath temp and the actual temp and as there’s less of the jacketed area touching the remaining solvent it’s not hot enough. I’m going to bump my water heater up to 50c and see if it’ll maintain the recovery speed.

Also I did lower a turkey probe through my valve into some oil that I had recovered at 37c and left the water flowing and it was 26c 15 minutes after I was done recovery

2 Likes

I like to purge my tank one more time about halfway through recovery… it seems it slows down about halfway. I close the valves let everything sit for sec. then vent off the psi outta the solvent tank… then when I open it back up the solvent in the collection goes into a rapid boil and most the time after the purge the tank slams down to -30hg

4 Likes

Why wouldn’t you got back to two lines and keep the temps low instead?

3 Likes

How many kw of heating power do you have

Even though the math says he should have an excess of 9kw. But, in the beginning I can definitely see him hitting the numbers he got. Which is also why his water heater cools down during recovery.

@Infoseeker does your water bath heater have an open lid that you can see the heating elements and circulation pump kinda like the top of something like this, not the same model of course.

open-bath-250x250

1 Like

Yea I’m switching back to the two coils.

That is similar to the water heater I am using. It cools down in the beginning but is back up to temp in probably around 10 minutes or less but I am still recovering 3.6lbs a minute when it drops.

I’m trying to figure out why it slows down through the run though. One thing I noticed when I daisy chained the coils together is only the first coil lost ice while recovery the second one stayed relatively the same which makes me think I’m getting it adequately cold. And my solvent tanks don’t even lose ice during recovery.

My best guess is that as the solvent level drops there’s less touching the jacketed part so less surface area is boiling and running my recovery at 37c/98.6f isn’t transferring enough heat to maintain the level of recovery as the pressure in the tank starts to go negative. That’s why I wonder if bumping the temps up will help speed up recovery as it slows down

I need to fashion one of those dipstick probe to check internal temp

1 Like

careful…if you don’t turn it back down as the pool warms you’ll wreck your product.

3 Likes

Buy a couple inexpensive sous vide from Amazon, or wherever you want, they usually have about 1kw of power. Put them in the water bath of your heater and set them to the same temp as desired. Now you’ll have a couple/few extra kw of power. Don’t go hotter, it will naturally slow down towards the end, anyway.

2 Likes

hey buddy so we are running a 10lber this weekend w 2 coils one for each line, the collection pot has 2vakves so it’ll work perfect do you suggest changing the lid of the sieve from 1in 1out to 2inn1outn w a t fitting or how would you suggest to hook it up to the sieve for 2 lines

1 Like

If you’re running a 3” sieve…

1 Like

could we not use a T to get by 2 in to 1

1 Like