Multiple recovery coils?

And that’s why you get the big bucks

9 Likes

I’m running two cmeps on 4kw heater.

Wonder if those speeds are possible with just one 1.5” recovery to a 1/2” coil? Running passive of course

1.5” doesn’t matter if the coil is 1/2”

You have to maintain the 1.5” or increase.

Like going from 1.5” into a 4” tube n shell

5 Likes

I’m using an e-lab 30L water bath which I believe is 3150watts? But It drops a few degrees when I first start to recover but then it climbs back to the set temp and can maintain that temp the whole time. So I believe it’s powerful enough.

My solvent tank pressure is usually around -10 to -25 and if it gets to high I’ll vac it back down.
Today the recovery tank was almost in the negatives for pressure which makes me feel like it isn’t hot enough to produce enough vapour fast enough to keep up with the two coils. Also it was a room temp run that had sit from last night so i wasn’t fighting the cold temps.

Maybe there is a large discrepancy between the jacket temp and the solvent in the recovery

Yea maybe. I’m using an e lab water bath which is display the water baths temp. I wonder if there is a good way to read the inside of the recovery temp.

10 Likes

sounds like ur tank needs to be colder

stage ur temps w the coils… go colder to coldest

@Dred_pirate when running passive this way would u rather have a line for each or daisy chained … .also when its line for each does the lid have line for each or is it T fitting to split the lines up but running into the same hole on collection?

4 Likes

At that point I would need a chiller though wouldnt I? And then I would have to go 1.5 all the way back to my solvent tank?

Or could I do two coils split off the end of my sieve

that’s what it sounds like

1 Like

This is such a good question. I’m assuming since it’s got more room to go after the initial opening, the flow rate would be able to increase. But that’s speculative.

I was wondering the same question on the lines going back to my solvent tank from the coil, if they connect to a T as a liquid, I would think it’ll decrease flow and you’ll need to have it on two separate ports to the lid

1 Like

Stick a thermoprobe in there….

The temp you’re driving your jacket at (number shown on your heat source) has very little to do with the temp your pool is experiencing until fairly late in recovery.

At least with the technology the majority of folks are still using.

Even without a temp probe, you can make some decent guesses on the temp in your evaporator by closing it off and observing the pressure it stops boiling…

4 Likes

I’m also wondering, I have 1.5” going directly to my 3” mol sieve, so the plan was to put a T on the sieve to run to 2 coils. Wonder if that would increase recovery, or if it bottlenecks at the T? If I can get 3lbs/minute I will be one happy camper…

Reason for this is I really do not want to buy a chiller and don’t think I have the power to run it, so thought 2 coils is my next best option

I guess I could lower one of those good ole turkey probes through my valve. Every time I thought about it I was thinking of getting some fancy wireless probe lol.

Turkey probe won’t help. temps won’t register.

This is it how I solved the problem last time.

K-type thermoprobe in solvent tank and collection.

…in through the out door as it was

Edit: no Swagelok does NOT carry that part

7 Likes

Preferably I’d have two lines all the way, but share a mol sieve. You can T them together but I wouldn’t taper the hose down smaller, I’d leave the ID as big as the vapor

2 Likes

Awesome. Going to run two lines from my mol sieve to two different coils. I’ll keep everyone posted on flow rates!

I’ll run one run with one coil first, then I’ll run same amount with second coil going and come back. Gimme a week.

2 Likes
2 Likes

Jacketed molecular sieves help.

1 Like

Does anyone know if the length of hose from my coils to my solvent tank play a role in recovery speed? Shorter hose, faster speed?