Multi-photon microscopic images of various types of cannabis trichomes

Thought you guys might be interested in taking a closer look at the inner workings of trichomes, and the differences in cannabinoid/terpene production in the different types of trichomes.

" A two‐photon microscopy technique using glandular trichome intrinsic autofluorescence was developed which demonstrated that stalked glandular trichomes possessed blue autofluorescence correlated with high cannabinoid levels. These stalked trichomes had 12–16 secretory disc cells and strongly monoterpene‐dominant terpene profiles. In contrast, sessile trichomes on mature flowers and vegetative leaves possessed red‐shifted autofluorescence, eight secretory disc cells and less monoterpene‐dominant terpene profiles. Moreover, intrinsic autofluorescence patterns and disc cell numbers supported a developmental model where stalked trichomes develop from apparently sessile trichomes."

https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/tpj.14516

22 Likes

Sikkkkk

2 Likes

The last two look like member berries…member? :joy::rofl:

8 Likes

Phallic trichomes? On females? Damn, patriarchy confirmed…

1 Like

They choose to identify as Phallic Trichomes, bro. Problem? :rofl:

9 Likes

gender non-specific trichs:joy:

4 Likes

Never seen them split like that, explains where terp loss is coming from in some cases

4 Likes

Those last 2 are exceptionally interesting.

2 Likes

The different compositions and textures look insane! So cool

They’re capitate-stalked trichomes. The remaining ones are more lacking in the size department.

This is actually a really well timed post, my first refresher post on IG will be all about trichomes. I’m glad people haven’t stopped the research at each level of the puzzle.

I’m thinking those last two pictures represent those capitate stalked trichomes after they’ve burst from over production. I’m thinking the contents of those trichomes may still be all over them, but we can’t see it because of the way they took the picture to highlight trichome structure.

1 Like

Its actually screenshots from a video. There is more content through the links, the video, specifically, is from the actual study link ( https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/abs/10.1111/tpj.14516 )

4 Likes

I apologize for my tardiness

4 Likes