Bho from specific microns of dry sieve?

It’s silly because the size of the “starting material” has very little relevance to your a ability to filter those particles once you’ve dissolved the trichomes. At least in this instance.

This question shouldn’t even need to be asked, you should already know that a sub micron filter is going to stop particles that are 45x bigger than the nominal rating on your filter.

1 Like

Shredded starch (NOT plastic) packing peanuts?

1 Like

Marbles fill space pretty well from what Ive heard

I dont believe you’ll get a different result, THCa is THCa. Kief can be a biotch to process effectively tho since its already an extract and is 60% undesirables but there are ways & it really depends on the solvent

For liquid @ room temp solvents such as IPA, EtOH etc, I found soak, settle and pour off or decant instead of filtering is miles easier, especially when you have alot to process. Also this is the one time gravity is not your friend!

For Gases such as butane/propane, I recommend either adding the kief on top of your material inside a 100um sock with a tampon @ the bottom of the tube, this will usually stage the filtration well enough that you wont clog & if it does you can always send some psi back up into the tube to unclog when you put too much kief in

If the kief has a good nose and is fresh & has full melt appeal, just go for rosin, its delicious when done well

4 Likes

You could try recycling hot butane vapor from the top through the bottom of your material column to percolate and dissolve the trichs and use a higher solvent:trich weight ratio.

one difference would be maturity.
the other purity.

the smaller trichomes on any given strain are generally the immature ones. so their cannabinoid profile will be different (higher in CBG).

there are also a couple or three different kinds of trichomes (Multi-photon microscopic images of various types of cannabis trichomes), with associated size and cannabinoid profile differences.

So the concept of sieving for effect then extracting is not unreasonable.

4 Likes

The different micron screenings will give you differing amounts of heads:stalks, which in turn will give you a different lipid:Cannabinoid rato

1 Like

yep…

1 Like

That’s what I wanted to know.

you’d huffed them and found a difference already.

yes, you can extract that.

AND…survey says; straight kief is a royal pain to solvent extract.

which is why we haz squish.

5 Likes

Fack I need to get a squishing machine :octopus:

The group think here lacks something but I prefer not to squish it.
Since you @cyclopath seem to have “squished”
A few trichomes…fresh ones!.
Why not do yourself a favor and squish in the presence of a protic solvent.
Think about it as extracting the in situ “buffer” .
Take your handy solid state pH meter and pipette
A small volume onto the sensor. Measure the pH
Of the buffered volume.

Now once you get that number…take your pen and paper and calculate a bit.

@GroovyOctopusLabs
Did you read the paper where they extracted
And identified 4000 chemicals from isolated trichomes?

1 Like

Also is there a known ration of how much resin bho can hold? So many grams for so many oz?

This might be stupid but if the problem with putting solvent through straight keif is that it clogs what about remixing it with plant material ant a higher rate if only to make it more efficient? Instead of running straight flower and getting let’s say 25% maybe mix enough hash with flower to get 70% just using the plant material as a filter? I’m not all that versed in extractions so I’m really just asking.

You could maybe have good luck mixing marbles in with the kief considering they’re glass and inert or maybe getting some kind of inert balls to add to the kief maybe even using sieve beads who knows.

That doesn’t work very well, you have to mix it back into trim to prevent clumping

5 Likes

butane fluidized bed

2 Likes

exactly!

Tell us what BHO stands for.

Now explain how it can “hold resin”.

Nope. Not stupid.
Fairly standard response.

One that has been repeatedly suggested (every time extracting kief come up).

Won’t get you 70% yield though.

you might want to explore “mass balance” to understand why.

1 Like