Molecular sieve Orientation - closed loop systems

I’ve been tinkering with passive recovery systems lately and am curious if any one could chime in on the molecular sieves orientation in a closed loop system. I have heard that the bead are best placed in a vertical column, however i never hear mention of a specified direction of flow.
Is it possible to have a downward flow through the sieve without changing the efficiency of absorption?

Mine are Vertical with gas flowing into the bottom and out the top into my condensing coil.

4 Likes

correct you want ur sieve placed vertical with it going from bottom to top. and only gas from passes thru sieve. never liqud

4 Likes

Ive seen them like this traditionally but am curious if there would be any loss in efficacy if the gas came into the top and was pulled via cmep downward through the mol sieve. It would still be in a gaseous state while passing the beads

idk why your fighting natures natural path but ok

2 Likes

The direction doesn’t matter. Sometimes it just depends on what works best with you set up. Both work great, and I’ve seen 0 difference in recovery speed. :call_me_hand:

Sideways sucks

3 Likes

I currently run from top to bottom, and into a condensing coil. I’ve run both ways. The butane vapor doesn’t know the difference

5 Likes

I disagree about orientation.

Especially for beginners, you should put your gas from the bottom to the top.

That way if you over pressure collection and blast liquid through your gas line, it won’t get to a pump.

10 Likes

Fair enough. If you aren’t a novice and/ or don’t run active, I don’t think that matters one bit.

3 Likes

I have also always been under the impression that they go from the bottom to top. All moisture will be held up as the vapor will flow through. The other direction, I’ve always “been told” moisture can make it. Supposedly.

8 Likes

The og atlas from purge was a horizontal design, trash, upgrade that shit tons 4ft vertical seive :wink: watch the dry gas pour like one of SD’s adds in every gas thread

1 Like

Gravity. It’s the same thought using a cold trap; in at the bottom then drawn up.
Edit: I think… Right?

Mines a lil bit of both :crazy_face:

16 Likes

That the full picture?

No…theres a condensing coil right after that but its only 3/8. im getting a new design to upgrade it. Im also giving @GreenMachine_Consult 's shotgun condenser a test run with this set up to compare recovery speeds

10 Likes

You’ll love it

4 Likes

This i like. Very much along the line of what ive been drawing up…
Touche on the 90’s.
Top section gas, bottom section sieve beads? Of is the whole of that puppy stuffed?

1 Like

I’ve always liked doing it like this

mole seive

Doubles as a liquid trap and its easy to change out.

3 Likes

Ill let you guys in on a rnd project i got going on at ChemTek. If i get good results on the piece i got made it will be available through the website and of course ill be posting results. Its basically membrane filtration.

5 Likes

I need one of those for my air compressor.

1 Like