Molecular sieve Orientation - closed loop systems

I plan on using the coalescer element to help prefilter my vapors and clump the water into bigger droplets to help the mol sieve beads grab them. Im putting the beads around the coalescing element. I use an open jacket 50lb solvent tank in my recovery process and because its so cold with the dry ice whatever water gets past the mol sieve turns into little ice pieces in my solvent and i can see them in there because of the sightglass on it. I can then see that ice get deposited right on top of my material on the next run check it out.

15 Likes

Sunset sherbert on the rocks

9 Likes

is this vessel heated?

with all the fresh frozen coming in from under the snow, weve been accumulating more water than ive ever seen. when we swap the system over for dry, we see the same thing on the input material.
Ice on top.
Separated the systems completely for now and simply dewater the FF.
Its a pain in the ass but saves the hassle on dry runs.

when you say a coaleser element to prefilter, do you mean out of your solvent tank before the material column? would this incur any heat or do these filters run just as efficiently under extreme cold? i like the idea of redundancy on this one!

Ive thought of building a p/re-distiller that would re-distill my solvent right after initial recovery bumping it actively through a much larger mol sieve that is heated.
anythoughts on that?

2 Likes

I recover through my dip tube so if theres any moisture it will blind my recovery eventually. I got one piece in with the ptfe filter im going to be testing out here this coming week

3 Likes

do you have a secondary vessel that you are porting a pre heated solution into for recovery?? the last comment about recovering through the dip tube kind of through me off. :upside_down_face:

Ive been thinkin of doing just that and creating a secondary “heated seive” so I can bring the temp down on it, still pass the solvent through in gaseous phase, try to find the sweet spot where the moisture doesn’t want to evaporate as easily making it easier to get picked up by the mol sieve beads (i would likely fill this vessel with beads as well).

I like the idea of the coaleser, keep us tuned in on that one. ill set up the heated column this week and see how much more water we really pull by weight of the beads by simply continueing heated flow over more surface area.

1 Like

Another quick question related to scrubbing moisture but slightly different approach… is there any sort of desiccant that could be placed in the bottom of your solvent tank? it would be awesome to be absorbing the moisture with out needing to operate the system haha
tedious man hours are starting to drive me bonkers!

1 Like

did the coalescer filter end up working for you? still having to bake out a tedious amount of moisture after fresh run. Its to the point now that we’ve just started recovering solvents to different tanks for different process, so the moisture isnt interrupting the flow we built on dry runs.
ive connected with a winery supply company here in BC and they are going to start helping run through other options that may suit.

hope all is swell and this message meets you with a smile. :metal:

1 Like

i havent got around to it yet but i got an idea. My 50lb solvent tank is sleeved and i use it together with my coil. when im done recovering or say i have another run behind it ill just pause my recovery and use nitro to push the solvent into a bigger tank which is my starting tank or reservoir. the trick im getting at is when i go to push i always see the ice in the bottom of the tank or i see small bits get transferred inyo thw reservoir and disappear once the solvent warms up to room temp. what if we use a filter plate or silica only crc to mechanically seperate the water by chilling the solvent and freezing the water out of it and then pushing it through the crc plate or silica cake to block the ice

10 Likes

quick question about my jacketed mole sieve…

I’m curious to know if I am creating a bottleneck in my system by heating my jacketed mole sieve. Since its using the same water as my collection pot, going in sieve after to try and help with the temp differential. I am still having the mole sieve get hotter than the collection pot and I am wondering if it is causing the system to slow down .

…get another bucket of water, sous vide and a magnetic drive pond pump for aforementioned sous vide water bucket setup if you’re that worried.

I don’t have a jacketed sieve yet but my jacketed collection, jacketed middle spool and jacketed material column all stay the same temp during recovery. … I’m not too sure why you’d set that hotter then the rest…

I guess maybe you could try opening all your recovery lines to a larger diameter. 1/2" seems to be the gold standard these days.

2 Likes

theyre on the same temp, but with the solvent cooling the collection pot and the warm vapor keeping the mole sieve warmer than the pot and when i touch the sieve its def hotter than my collection pot when i pour so thats what leads me to think of a bottleneck. im wondering would the warm solvent from the collection pot be warn enough to keep the mole sieve warm enough to do its job.

my collection pot is cold when i start recovery because the cold solvent has chilled it down while the mole sieve is around 90F still from the previous runs.

1 Like

As long as you can remove the added heat i have always had better recovery times keeping my sieves warm.

4 Likes

1/2 " would be a safe bet, If your lines in are larger than your lines out, you could be creating unwanted heat by introducing pressure. @Sermac what is your port size for IN/OUT of sieve?

Also consider thermal differences. Jacketing helps maintain enough thermal difference while operating to encourage either a pull or push throughout recovery where needed by maintaining thermal difference. Gradual encouragement can be used to increase flow but if it throws your differentials off in the system… that’s where id start. What does your condenser look like after the mol sieve? is your solvent cooling fast enough to maintain directional flow to your recovery tank?

If your mol sieve is running hot, perhaps remove the heat from jacket and see if she pushes (the hot vapour should be enough to keep the sieve working correctly unless it is cooling en route)…

How cold is the next leg you are moving it to? perhaps get it colder and see if she pulls.

Hot:Cold = Pressure:Vacuum

2 Likes

have you gotten around to running this filter from REC tank to solvent reservoir? i feel like this would be a great way to pull out unwanted moisture during runs. having some sort of removable cartridge would be awesome as you could close off, remove, and replace for the next run. the only thing i can think of is that it would need to be kept cold until separated from the system.

1 Like

Butane and propane move hot to cold…make collection vessel hottest then mole. Sieve not as hot …then chill coil or straight to chilled tank

Going through the dip tube actsnlike a condenser coil once u get a lil fuel in the tank

@waxplug1 in theory wouldn’t running hot all the way work.,.if the dewax grabs the bad shit then the crc powder layered next will grab the colors…
Will my terps come out runny like dry ice jacketed and solvent run?

1 Like