Mold in badder (nsfw) 🤮

Alright, wtf did I do. This is a 2-3 month old jar of badder that seems to have come across some mold spores. The jar is kept in a 55 degree room that tends to stick around 35% humidity. Should I be keeping badders (both cured and live) in the fridge for mold prevention? I always thought people did that more for terpene retention, for which I felt 55 degrees was pretty suitable. I’ve never seen this before in any of my other products

I can’t see picture.

Was this from one of your live runs? (My guess is the water content of your extract is very high in addition to live spores in your biomass, which would go hand in hand with your yield issues)

Edit: I saw picture. That’s fucked up!

4 Likes

Yuck! I’d guess that’s the result of live spores in your biomass

4 Likes

Ifk. This was from a properly kept live run (stored on dry ice cut to blast). My dewaxing tek wasn’t down very well at the time tho. Just ran cold solvent, no jacket

And this is why filtering down to 0.2um is important (among other reasons). What pore size did you filter down to?

4 Likes

I’ve recently started going down to 2.5 micron, however this is one of my earlier runs, where I was only using the standard 50micron bvv filter gaskets

.2 really? That seems incredibly low if I’m not running crc, but hey I don’t see why not

There is more to this than just your filtration…

7 Likes

Mold needs humidity, should I assume this jar had more moisture content than the atmosphere?

Live spores got in your extract (due to lack of filtration), your extract had high moisture content, causing humidity in your jar
Bingo

3 Likes

I’d be counting my blessing it wasn’t a bigger jar.

I’ve stored badder for a year in my desk with no mold or no real degrading

16 Likes

Exactly

Badder should be wet from terps lol, not actually wet

10 Likes

Oh I am. I’ll probably be putting a mini fridge in the room regardless, but is it relatively safe to say that’s not the issue here?

1 Like

I don’t store any of my extracts in cold. My house says between 65-68F year round. Jars I’m not smoking get vac sealed. Jars I’m smoking just sit in a dark cabinet in my desk. I don’t got room to store anyway other than that

9 Likes

No cold storage and I don’t even vacuum seal jars I’m not smoking on, just seal tightly and store in a dark cabinet (not the dark cabinet really does shit) lol. No issues here!

Only thing I have ever ran into (that really isn’t a huge problem, especially compared to what you are dealing with) is the terps separating from badder after months of storage.

3 Likes

I’ve never seen anything like this. Could mold actually grow if there was no moisture in the jar?

I’ve never seen it before either. If it was purged properly I don’t see how there can be water.

2 Likes

From a guy that deals with testing/remediating mold in houses, if their isn’t moisture, mold won’t grow. Regardless if spores are present. Mold spores are everywhere…

I say this all the time to homeowners (potential customers), if you haven’t dealt with the source of moisture, dealing with the actual mold/spores is pointless.

14 Likes

:joy: thanks to whoever added the emoji to the title. But okay, I’ll still be doing an atmospheric mold test, but I’m glad to have narrowed down that moisture in the jar should be my main concern

2 Likes

Wow I’ve never seen that! It had to have moisture after the run to do that right?

Is it humid where your at? :man_shrugging:

Aspirin dabs!

6 Likes