mobil vacuum pump oil?

My company keeps buying this vacuum pump oil, I am not sure if it is grade 19, looking to use it in my edwards 30 for SPD. I have a smaller bottle of vacuum pump oil grade 19 from inland which visually looks quite a bit lighter than the mobil stuff. anybody used this stuff?

1 Like

Hate to be this guy, but: Google is your friend.

This took me two minutes:

These are properties of Mobil v Edwards 19

1 Like

yea I already compared these, since the numbers are different I assumed that the mobil is not grade 19 oil. Is grade 19 a standard oil grade throughout the oil industry, or is it something specific to what edwards made?
Mobil does not mention grade 19 anywhere on there site.

I understand the search bar, I am not exactly sure how to digest these numbers, thus why I posted.

4 Likes

I’d say spend the extra money on the pump oil that is recommended by Edwards. If you can’t convince your management, then the mobil oil should be okay.

In terms of important variables – the viscosity at 40C and the viscosity at 100C are important in terms of how similarly the oils will perform throughout their expected temperature ranges. As long as the composition of the oil is similar (i.e. mineral based or paraffin based or whatever) then the materials inside the vac pump might be compatible with both oils.

Flash point / Auto Ignition Temp are important pieces of safety information. You want these values to be as high as possible.

4 Likes

Both oils will work, I would do a little more research on the mobile and compare its vapor pressure to the Edwards oil. The vapor pressure of the oil kinda dictates how much of a vacuum you can generate.I would probably side with @TheGratefulPhil and go with the Edwards oil, Can’t go wrong there.

2 Likes

Thanks guys, solid advice

1 Like

If you wanna do a few runs and let us know if the vacuum depth changes I’d be curious.

Would always like to try some cheaper options if they’re available

Why not try the best vacuum Pump Oil on the market? Krytox is completely inert, has no flash-point and lasts much longer than off-the-shelf products. We also stock Dow Syltherm heat transfer fluids We stock in California and Chicago.

Please let me know if you would like to talk - thanks!
rhonda.valentine@chempoint.com
(425) 372-9043

TDS - Chemours Krytox Vacuum Pump Fluids.pdf (97.7 KB)

How much is that a gallon? @MoreCowbelle?

Krytox has a much higher density than standard vacuum pump oil. You will need a bit over 7kgs of Krytox 1525 to make up one gallon of volume. Your price is $1368 per gallon. This material is the best on the market and is used by NASA, to Large Vacuum Pump OEMs, to individual folks in the extraction/distillation market - but is not inexpensive for sure. However, it’s benefits are amazing (which at this price, it has to be, right?) It allows your equipment to run at it’s optimum operation capacity insuring consistent pressure - and it lasts so much longer than standard vacuum pump oils that your ROI is high in the long run. You will have less down time because you don’t have to change out the oil, less disposal issues, and lower labor costs.

If you want something that is not as expensive - but still a good high-quality option, you can look at DuPont (Dow Corning) Molykote L-1668 Vacuum pump oil. A gallon will run you under $60.
TDS 80-8456-01_Molykote L-1668FM.pdf (200.7 KB)

Please let me know if any of you need additional info. Thanks!
rhonda.valentine@chempoint.com
(425) 372-9043

1 Like

how does this handle contamination?

In general this is a very robust material, although it doesn’t play well with oxidizers. What contaminants are you concerned with? I can get with my team and make sure the Molykote L-1668 will work for you.

We’re mostly concerned with water, and voc contamination. I’d be happy to put a couple gallons of whatever you want to send thru the paces and see how it compares and report my findings.

Food grade mineral oil. Can be had at local feed store for <$20 and weve achieved low e-5 vac with it.

1 Like

Yeah? Cool, I alway wondered bout that. Thanks for sharin’

Hi, Lone,

I can can send you a sample - but will need to get your information, get a few questions answered, and go from there. Please give me a ring - thanks!

Rhonda Valentine
ChemPoint
(425) 372-9043

2 Likes

1 Like

Major pump brands of vacuum pump oil are OVERPRICED. We feature VacOil® and are currently running a promo. COUPON CODE: TAKE10OFF for 10% any size order of oil. 19 Grade is perfect and affordable for frequent change-outs.

We CQ-19 and CQ Ultra 19 please contact us if your interested in any free oil samples.

Sell*