Mixing CDT and Botanical terps with BHO and Distillate

Hey! I’m kinda new to this site, so bare with me.
I’ve seen a lot of people saying 100-120 degrees is what you should mix your THC distillate and terps at but my distillate doesn’t become anywhere near liquid until it reaches 70 degrees Celsius. I have experienced a lot of messed up stuff happen to my product, including a burnt taste, and nose pinching and throat burning terp % (actually 5% if you believe it or not) and I used good terps and everything. Our next batch we are gonna decarb shatter, crumble, and terp sauce to try to fix this, but have y’all had issues like this before? I know our distillate clocked in at 92% THC on the lab test, so it’s like a little thicker than the average stuff. I’ll go through the processes:
We have waterbathed it and mixed there, then vac sealed overnight. We got the best result doing this.
We have mixed everything on the hot plate for ab 20-30 mins at 75 Celsius and immediately fill them and there are almost always burnt tastes, heavy disty flavor, or sumn just ain’t right.
I got tips from people online to just mix for a shorter amount of time at 100C and get all the mixing done there in under 3 minutes, so that is what we were gonna do next, but the flavor, I can’t risk losing/messing up the next batch. I was told maybe my terps were shit so I went to a reputable site and got CDTs. There was another person who said regardless if the mixture looked good, I hadn’t mixed enough or sumn, and that for homogenization to work, I’d have to mix a while…
Anybody with any experience please let me know it would be greatly appreciated.

1 Like

Sumn just ain’t right with “heavy disty flavor”, as distillate should be almost as flavorless as decarbed diamonds…

20-30 min at 75C isn’t gonna bring you joy. You need the correct tooling to get the job done in 60-180seconds. Then you need to get filling…

There are literally dozens of threads on the subject lying around here. If you can’t dig up the information you need using the search bar, you could hire the problem solved (buy a clue).

Here’s a starting point: Homogenization Duty Time: Distillate & Terpenes...

5 Likes

Microwave, high rpm hotplate or homogenizer, and a cart farmer

2 Likes

Is all you need… use the search feature

1 Like

I load at 170-190f

Remember its hot outside, don’t mix over 7-9% terps or it’ll be to thin for carts designed for thick oil and will puke out the bottom

I just fucked up a whole order im trying to salvage…I was in hurry loaded like it was the winter time w 12% mix…I loaded to hot on some and leaked straight thru and I didn’t let but about half the carts I loaded settle and just capped right away…if id let settle id seen they wasn’t to the bottom yet and when it did settle itd be down 1/4 from top. I could kick myself in the ass for making such a rooke mistake. Its really got me down and a wreck trying to figure out the best ways to get disty outta carts so doesn’t add more work…probably will be drill some holes in metal lid for quart jar wide mouth and place them upside down pointed in the jar then use hair dryer or heat gun to get the disty pouring into the jar…whatever don’t come out ill toss the carts in ethanol to clean them and keep the ethanol let evaporate to retrieve what’s left. Problem is the first batch i just tossed in everclear to.get disty out and once it was evaporated off I cooked the rest out and hopefully a bunch the terps cook off to thicken it back up.some.but then im.left w a darker ruby red disty.
**So I’m gonna try to heat it up pour it In my empty solvent tank half in one 6x12 tank the other half in the other 6x12 tank…lid them up fill w tane and pane…then place in hit water bath for 3 or 4 hrs ,then run it through crc stack heavily diluted in butane , probably use a t5 heavy silica. Then run it through warm and pray for a light yellow results

Looks like.ill.be the first to try to crc disty for color.change I have no.choice bc I don’t have the equipment need to Buckner or sep funnel it…if it worked.on black.ruby red bho that was already decsrbed then in theory it should work on this. @Dred_pirate @cyclopath @TwistedStill @Waxplug1. Any insight

I know yall are gonna want me.to Buckner it or sep funnel but I have to use the equipment and powders I have here and on hand. I’m hoping since its only about 200 to 400ml then putting half in one tank warm and half in the other empty tank, adding tane and setting in hot water bath for good while while sloshing it around will dissolve it good enough that I can pass it through the crc. Any ideas on what powders to use outta what I got…got w1 and w1, t5 and silica 60, d.e., lustermax and cry and crx plus.b80 and perform 6000

Last time.i reran a bho batch that was black and ruby red and so old.was natural decarb this worked w t5 and silica 60 on bed d.e.

I also found out the carts I soaked in ecerlcear that had never been use the let fan dry then let set In my dehydrator for day or better gets them dry enough where they are reusable. They was never used

I tried a couple carts i did that to it saved the carts for reuse but they never was fired from day one so I’m not reusing them just salvaging them

@anon56994712 anyone?

Sorry op…and sorry to all I know its alot to take in its just basically I made my mix to thin and loaded it to fast ,capped to fast now I’m trying to get disty out to cook terps off to try and salvage the oil

If I can rig up the lid holder I can load them In jar lid w holes I drill all.in it and put them upside down w hair dryer on it to get warm enough to leak out into the jar without changing the color of the color of the disty to bad.

I know its ear full but its not my disty ,thisnguys shit changes everytime from d8 hard as hell to looks like d8 but not as hard
If he ever uses me again ill be allowed a testing week instead just jumping right into it t thinking I know how to mix it. Bc when its hot carts can get a lil thin esp if thye put in there pocket or hot car

Eggghhh sorry guys just looking for maybe yeah CRCing the disty I’ve already got out w ethanol will work just makensure to remove all the ethanol first by cooking it off after evaporating what I can

And that yeah for the rest the make a.holder outta a jar lid and take the lids off the carts and turn upside down and place on jar then use hairndryer to heat cart and let oil drip out and the color won’t change

O yeah @qma u ever had this issue. I just feel that even though I got thenleakers out thenmoment these go to someone that doesn’t store in cool place they’ll be leaking soon and he will be bringing those out too…after loading 10-15k carts for him over past year or so I guess I’m expected to have a fuck up somewhere.

No I just pray I save the run even though takes a ton more work.:expressionless: first mistake in years. Idk what I was thinking, probably that he had thatbhard as hell d8 again and maybe this time is d9 or d9 conversion

Wow thats a lot but anyone really please advixe

3 Likes

I think it’s gotta be those carts (or maybe loaded way too hot) I know someone using 80% potency d9 with 12% terp and 5% mct and they are not having any issues with leaking. Edit I think they do 1.5mm hole

As far as salvaging it even if you flip em and leave em in a heated vac oven to drain the loss is going to be massive.

Getting it out with everclear sounds iffy probably will make it very nasty

I’ll reread and edit with any more thoughts

1 Like

Everclear didn’t make it nasty just darker

Taste is back to plain smoke after cooking terps off slowly just ruby red color instead yellow…my goal was to thicken it back up from the over cut and yeah I probably loaded a lil hot usually never over 190f and loaded some these at 220f. I’ve never seen so many leakers but its the thin mix hot outside plus loaded to hot
Looking like everclear dissolve it cleans carts at sams.time and then another wash in clean everclear, let carts fan dry then move to my dehydrator and after drying they actually still.work and don’t puke whe. Loading the right mix so that’s one success

Just gotta fix this color issue after I get the everclear off

Hoping a crc run will fix that color issues bc its the only equipment I have on hand

I have sep funnels and buchner funnel just they devoted to a different process and would def add bad tastet

I made a rookie mistake my first big mistake ever

And the carts are large 2.0mm all ceramic

1 Like

Carbon scrub will help the most, you’ll need to be hot and use alcohol for this. If you use everclear, try proofing it, if you can.

You can use heptane, or butane. Dissolve it in the collection, with a little heat, slish slosh it. Push through the media. Use something as neutral as possible to minimize the ph swing. W1 may affect that, it’s ph 3 is or 4 or something like that.

1 Like

Would t5 or silica60 help

Also so could I use activated carbon from the fish store just wash and dry it good first? And run it inline w my crc w a d.e. bed

I thought b80 was pretty neutral?

All I have is w1 and lustermax which is like ph 3…then t5 and silica60 which idk…d.e. …cry and crx , perform 6000 and b80

I could grab some activated carbon if that would work…do I need to crush it up

Thanks bro yall saving me this is first mess up I’ve had after loading abiut 10k-15k carts over the last year…its filling job only i get paid per cart they provide everything

@Dred_pirate whats the difference in this disty thats darkened by everclear removal and the dark ass black red extract i reran the beginning of crc , the material was so old it wouldn’t grow stones and w no pressure on the jar would eat a seed stone. I assumed was decarb naturally…but was black ruby red just like the disty only difference would whip up black gold then return righr back to black ruby red barely see thru…decarb thc is decarb thc no? Just mine had some terps w it

Just wondering why silica60 first then t5 then d.e. bed wouldn’t work

But I know nothing about disty

I can’t believe no one has tried running a darker red disty through a crc stack w standard beginning powders just to see what happens

BTW heres the material that was decarb naturally looks alot like my disty after ecerlcear extraction outta the carts

WOW over 2 years ago

The MCT is why. Should only have terpenes and distillate to it. 6-7% hemp derived terpenes IMO is the best.

I shall be buying a hotplate mixer soon as well

1 Like

12% terps sound so intense lol. I thought it wasn’t ideal to go over 10%, unless we’re talking sauce

5% MCT has literally saved carts for me by helping it flow just a taaadddd more and not burning my wicks

1 Like

I’m about to crc some disty from a friend that’s super dark. I don’t distill, so i figured I would give this a shot.

3 Likes

Eww…

6 Likes

Keep smoking coconut oil

I’m fine with half of a point (.05) per week. Until there’s a safer alternative nothing really else to do. I put do wax carts so a lot of hardware besides like a iKrusher vFire pod for some reason

Seems safer to have actual flow then to be making combustibles inside the coil with nothing on the wick (opinion of course)

Well vaping distillate and terpenes is WAY safer than vaping coconut oil

Distillate makes me wheeze for some reason, I still haven’t figured it out. Different sources and everything just one of those things.(also distillate high kinda just sucks it feels nothing like flower/wax)

I normally don’t include it when I have glass carts around since I can just tap em with the lighter beforehand, only when it’s a standard

Add more terpenes than and use different hardware and hemp derived terpenes. Try 7-9% terpenes

@QBD420 has amazing hardware.