Microwaving Distillate?

I didn’t mean to endorse dropping glass into boiling water. Y’all are correct—it’s an unsafe practice regardless.

2 Likes

Dying t shirts purple? U must be on that secret :wink: Tek!

I think I have quiet few purple Ts around here now…few red ones too

4 Likes

Pyrex ≠ borosilicate

2 Likes

like my beckers, boro always goes fine with heat.

What’s a becker?
Lol

2 Likes

if im heating up a liter and im pressed for time I will usually throw a hungry man meal in with it

7 Likes

https://www.amazon.com/MST-250XS-Electric-Adjustable-Dishwasher-Stainless/dp/B008GS8R3K/ref=mp_s_a_1_5?keywords=crockpot&qid=1574642365&sprefix=crockpot&sr=8-5

Crockpot works like a dream. Just set it up before you start setting up anything else and by the time you are ready for mixing it’s ready to rock. This way you can keep it within arms reach as well. I keep it on a small separate table to avoid water based accidents.

5 Likes

Pyrex at least 350.

1 Like

Let’s all remember Modern Day Pyrex isn’t made out of borosilicate any more and hasn’t for some time. Borosilicate or lab grade corning glass is a much better and safer choice for lab applications.

3 Likes

pyrex is just overpriced cheap glass nowadays. Ill never understand why they switched and ruined their products. Boro isn’t that expensive

Ive done it a few times. Never made my distillate any darker or anything visibly bad.

Do tou know how many pyrex brand dishes sre in labs? Have You been in one or worked

2 Likes

I worked with them I bough a full set of Pyrex dishes off of the site (12 of them) . Honestly they work but they aren’t the borosilicate they used to be.

wondering about that “damage” because the magnatron is tuned for water…

I’ve certainly seen trashed microwaves that had pulled “disty duty”, but not seen one actually barf at a resonance frequency mismatch.

I recall one that was run on it’s side so that 5l beakers would fit.

3 Likes

Yeah I did that, ONCE. The jar cracked and I had to boil off all the water and redistill the oil.

1 Like

I think I know what purple “shirts” we’re talking about here lol. Do they smell like moth balls?

4 Likes

I utilize 700 and 1500 watt microwaves and all of the heavy disty usage microwaves are weaker when compared to fresh or notmally used microwaves.

I have never had a microwave die on me till cart game

5 Likes

Just circling back with links…

Or it’s bigger sister the BP-210T

Use short bursts.

4 Likes

I put my microwave on it’s side to fit the larger bottles. Works great. Usually do 30-60 second bursts.

28 Likes