Microwave Mol sieve desiccant?

Whats up community,

I know that sieve can be dried out with a oven at high temps and time. I want to know if i can microwave instead? Seems like itd be faster and more effective but i just wanted to see if anyone else has tried this with success.

Thanks for your time, and happy mothers day.

Only one way to find out

Seems logical. I will give er a go and report back

1 Like

You know how to test them right?

Weight is one metric. Absorption is also exothermic

My plan is to weigh the beads coming out pre microwave and then again after.
From my research im understanding that once the sieve increases 15-18% it becomes ineffective. So if i can remove thats weight in the microwave id say thats a successful tec for reactivation.

Im wondering if ill need to adjust the power level also about the duration of the cook. Probably gonna start with 3min at 100%. Hopefully i wont need to use this fire extinguisher lol

2 Likes

I don’t dry my sieve beads that way, but I do dry my crc powders in the microwave. Works great.

Let us know how it works!

2 Likes

An advantage of the vacuum is that it gives a direction for the water vapor to travel. Confined in a microwave, it can be stagnate. Depending on how much you use, if there is a lot of condensation/steam, that would be a nice indicator. Definitely would need to be in a flat even later and not a deep bowl. Intermittent mixing will help too.

If you are starting at 15-18%. You may be able to get down to some percentage before it really slows down. At that point, you may be generating too many microwaves to be absorbed and damage the microwave. In that case, lowering the power would reduce that risk.

1 Like

What’s a safe heat and duration for baking mol. socks?

Basic Extraction Help - #27 by Soxhlet

1 Like