Basic Extraction Help

Let’s change the market. :wink:

check out @paperplanes_extracts on the Insta. They are killing it with sugar.

Just some thoughts from the Marketing Department over here. I hope you figure it out one way or another.

5 Likes

Sugar just needs a cold Alkane wash to purity, then a hot/cold Alkane supersaturation/crash to grow THCa crystals…

16 Likes

Thank you lol im tired of people saying “Well maybe it is better but it’s not what the market wants”. the market doesn’t know what it wants till its told what it wants and why it wants it lol chasing the market isnt as good as leading it
I dont mean u m1st3r, im not criticizing u for doing it. ive had to before also i just dislike the prectise

5 Likes

I used to have the same problem until i meticulously cleaned out the vacuum oven, and the collection base pretty much every time. If you have any residual bits from old batches that has sugared, it causes new stuff to do it too.

Ovens have many overlooked places like the undersides of shelf brackets, or the bottom of the shelf.

3 Likes

Are there beads inside your filter dryer or is it empty? Are you baking the molecular sieve beeds(the beads inside your filter dryer) before every use? As it was said above, they need to be dried and activated in order to absorb water.

4 Likes

I use 3a molecular seives in a filter dryer. Be carefull of the source of your seives, there is a lot of garbage out there from China and India that doesn’t meet spec. Heat the beads to 250c for an hour, place while still hot into vacuum oven or dessicator. Pull a hard vacuum and let cool to room temp. Then they can go into the filter dryer. To test the beads you can place a small amount of them into the bottom of a test tube. Insert a thermometer and add a enough water to just cover the beads. If the thermometer rises you know the bead is absorbing water. A hotter exothermic reaction indicates better bead quality. On a side note, if they are mixed with a substance with a molecular size larger 3 angstroms the beads won’t release heat. This indicates that the pore size is correct.

10 Likes

Thank you, and no I hadn’t ever heard of doing that. It will be my first move tomorrow. I can see exactly what you’re saying. I’m in the process of taking some classes to sharpen up. I feel dumb enough asking on here. Completely noob but man I’ve been lied to about lots. Thanks again everyone in the thread.

6 Likes

Trust me dude I have seen so much worse. lol
also there seems to be a much higher caliber population on this forum then u would normally find on the internet so listen to these people they got some good ideas. i mean look at the replies, 0 trolls or btards

13 Likes

If you do what @soxhlet said to regenerate your bead and they end up being bad you can buy some from deltaadsorbents.com

When I was running a closed loop I would regenerate my beads after every run by heating up the column holding the beads with a heat rope and pushing nitrogen through then for 10 minutes or so.

I’d also change them out completely after 7-10 runs.

2 Likes

yea that heat rope stuff is legit. I use it for all sorts of stuff exactly like this. If your good you can do really useful things with just that heat tape, a thermocouple and a pid controller that are really not complicated and much more accurate then most equipment. I find people assume their equipment is accurate far too often especially with heat cause u cant measure the heat of something without touching it and most equipment takes measurements from where ever they can fit a thermocouple which isnt optimal. IR touchless thermometers are great but people often use them incorrectly or assume they r more accurate then they are. that’s y u hav to know how to measure everything. including how verifying the accuracy of ur equipment.
Luckily most sensors are very simple and boil down to the same electrical components. which is y PID’s have so many uses.

3 Likes

Is there quick easy way to wash terps,I have some that the terps are awful, we didn’t test the strain before making, the thca crystals are huge though, I’m sure if I separate the reintroduce w some good terps it would be much better

2 Likes

Buchner funnel with a filter paper. Fill with extract to wash. Using super cold alkane, soak extract, mix lightly, pull vac to suck alkane and terps through filter. What’s left should be relatively clean, repeat if necessary

7 Likes

Man thank you, will ever clear 190 work or do I have to get pentane, I only have about 5g crystals, completely dried off just stained yellow, how long do I soak, do I pour or use spray bottle thanks so much

1 Like

I’m a thread you were saying Sugar is a pretty close step to being crystal ? With cold/hot alkaline … mind Elaborating a bit for me in that I didn’t quite understand it … please sir

1 Like

We talking about washing the Crystals clean of terpenes right there bro, you may be confused if no I think I can help you there too

1 Like

They were referring to Sugar is a step away from being thca crystal. With alkaline I believe. Not sure if it’ll wash terpy aways or just purify it more ? I was co fused just what he was saying

2 Likes

Correct but at that moment we was talking about washing them then resaturation to regrow single crystals I thought, I tend to be wrong though bud, might wanna double check with them

1 Like

Take look at the Sugar under a microscope. you should see tiny crystals.
nucleation == has started to crystallize.

As far as the wash and crash goes, I’ll leave that to @future to elaborate on or link to.

3 Likes

Yeah I think I was getting where he answered my question crossed with another, my apologies good sir

Definitely sugar nothing but small Crystals, absolutely

1 Like

I took this and ran with it since I had just done a bunch of trash runs. Low and behold between you and the dryer I knockedout the problem. Thank you for the input. I appreciate it so much.

4 Likes