Microwave assisted ozone degradation of D9 THC?

I’m actually using the gradient method you described in a previous post lol. Ethanol/Water: 60//40, 70//30, 75//25, 80//20, 85/15, 90/10,100/0. If you’ve had any successful tweaks to this method I’d be very interested to hear em as it works well, but I haven’t done enough runs to fine tune yet. I love working with GRAS solvents so this method was a pleasant surprise when I had read it.

3 Likes

I wish lol, I’m working on about $400 a week after taxes atm. This hobby just happens to be the bulk of my free time, and quite a bit of my budget goes into it. After a great first outdoor season I’ve been working off that bud for about two years now. I had a nice indoor crop last Dec. for smoking, and my old outdoor is just collecting dust at this point. I had no interest in monetary gain and consider any product loss to be the cost of knowledge, I am quite happy you folks saved me from wasting 5g’s though :slight_smile:

4 Likes

So just bubbling through O2 in your solution? I cannot say forsure, I just know O3 is a bad idea because I have used it on cannabinoids before for the results I explained prior. I think just bubbling O2 through your solution is a very “john wayne” sort of method, really not a specific hypothesis and I think it will require an experiement. Lucky for you O2 is extremely cheap and this experiement should take an hour or so.

3 Likes

Yep, just a good ol’ bubble, some microwaves, and a oxygen concentrator. I’ve read quite a few studies that state microwave assisted oxidation of organic compounds has proven to be significantly quicker than standard reaction times like 5-10min vs hours. I’m sure that’s highly variable depending on the intended reaction, but as there is limited public info available for microwave assisted cannabinoid processing I figured I’ll give it a shot.

Thanks for sharing some knowledge and I’ll def post an update when I have the time to do a run.

1 Like

Eventually I’d move to a metering system where I can just continually increase the alcohol in solution via a spray and never actually dry the column out. But that’s just more $$ and time, neither of which I have right now :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Yea microwave reactors are extremely different from your household microwave so even though the paper you read may have a sexy headline its most likely not applicable…

However please run your experiments and take good notes, just because you do not have a rational chemical hypothesis that us chemists typically require this is how new concepts in chemistry are created sometimes, godspeed.

8 Likes

That formaldehyde is being generated in a different spot. The alkene at the bottom will make formaldehyde

The alkene at the top will break CBD apart.

6 Likes

Thanks for structural formula and explanation :+1:

2 Likes

do you need some sort of medical license to purchase a tank of O2?

I dont think so.

Have anyone came across this patent: GB2567235A - Ozonation of cannabinoids - Google Patents? Ozonation of high CBD flower (THC<0,2%, CBD≈17%) definitely makes it slightly psychoactive (did try aprox 2h with 24gC ozonator). Wonder what is the mechanism of it, is it a nitric acid isomerisation of is it something else? Maybe someone did spectroscopy of it or have any insights on possible mechanism? Bioassay’d its different than d9 or d8 but definitely it is something going on with dopamine kick and a painkilling potential. Think ozonation of CBD is something that need further investigation for sure.

3 Likes

Added to the list of things to work on @Ruwan ?

i’ve spent a number of years working with 03. long story short: its going to react with so many things that form new things that create new problems you (nobody outside a lab dedicated to non profit research with a $3.7 per month shit-ton budget) won’t ever fully understand. its an expensive rabbit hole

2 Likes

Ozonolysis is a brute force technique in organic synthesis. Not sure it’s worth the lack of selectivity.

2 Likes

@QGA has already done this. Any synthetic chemist will tell you that ozonolysis on CBD will just destroy it.

CBN Slangers - #31 by anon93688*

5 Likes