Microns used to catch media?

Hi everyone, I’m thinking of trying filtration media in my cls next run. What are the micron sizes used to safely catch the media, as to not have any unhealthy particulates inside the concentrate . I also read the idea of stainless steel scrubbies inside a dewaxing column to help prevent channeling and clogging that waxes cause. I was thinking of running A. C. And D.E. Inside 2 1.5"×2" spools. I just don’t know the micron sizes for the filtration to set the powders on top of.

1 Like

Top to bottom how I’m setting mine up: 20-11-5-2-1, the 20,11 and 2 are paper filters in filter plates and my 5 and 1 are sintered discs

Thought about doing another filter plate and using some .5micron filter sheeting below the 1 micron. But haven’t ordered that yet.

I have the stainless steel scrubbies in my material columns filter stack above my 5 micron sintered.

2 Likes

Hi Groovy, we have the ss screens and or filter discs available in sizes between 0.4um and 60um in cellulose and .2-1um in membrane. Various sizes. Typically most power media can be held in place with a 1um or larger depending on the powder, tighter for others. We also have up to 30" length polypro columns that we can prefill with the powered product you would like to use. We fill and have a filter system inside the column that is designed to avid channeling. Let us know how we can help. Thank you, gregh@heyesfilters.com

1 Like

Currently I’m still working with 5 micron Buna-n gasket filters, I’ve been waiting to upgrade to singer disks with papers until there’s a reason to. But the powders I plan on running are T-5, Activated Charcoal, Diatomaceous Earth and Bentonite I plan on starting with what I have which is Activated Charcoal and Diatomaceous Earth.

What I use. I use 2 of them.

We have posted so much info on the topic its ridiculous. Each powders micron size, what colors each powder removes. what um filter work to hold back powders. how to stage your filters. I get its easier to ask than actually look it up.

7 Likes

I think you might wanna read the crc thread. All questions are answered there multiple times. Also i would choose a different media combo as a.c isn’t the best choice

4 Likes

Celite straight on top of the sintered disc and no filter papers. Never had an issue.
Put your media on top of the celite.
Ac is no good. Get some b80.
If your trying to be cheap use the filter felt someone posted about before.
That gasket is not what you want

4 Likes

Why waste time with filter papers?
Use celite. Its reusable atleast once if not more and you dont have to worry about blowing a paper out…
Ive never understood why people do this with paper. Ive done both and noticed zero clogging ever with celite. I clogged papers once

1 Like

I plan to use a layer of celite on top of the 20 micron under my w1

Papers were just to help stage filtration down to my sintered discs

4 Likes

I like papers for in case shit and to stage down filtration like @Hansel stated. Plus i cant find an affordable welded .2 sinterer filter stack. Even at 5$ a paper the .2 is worth it in my opinion.

I dont change out my filter stack ever run. I use it the entire day. I havent seen a paper break in a yr or longer

4 Likes

These guys make 0.2 um sintered discs fused into a triclamp gasket. Problem is they would be prone to deformation and blowouts unless you had a filter plate that’s welded flush to the triclamp flange for backing.

3 Likes

Bvv has plates like this

1 Like

Even still there will be a small amount if room for deformation of the disc due to the way the sintered discs sit slightly above the lip for the flange, would need a thin perforated plate that’s the correct thickness or even just a few strips of metal that’s the perfect thickness to place between the sintered disc and the filter plare so your disc never deforms/cracks and ruins the micron rating.

1 Like

I wonder if you could order ptfe sheets like 1/16” for shims. I feel like a little bit of support in the middle is all you need

1 Like

It seems like a Y strainer would be ideal if you could find one with a fine enough mesh(.2 micron or so). Put it either before the collection vessel or before the low point drain

1 Like

Celite is intended to sit atop a filter paper.

Sure, it’ll work just fine in most cases, but all you’re doing is dragging that powder into the top Frits of your sintered discs and reducing overall flow rate. This can have a pretty drastic effect depending on the diameter of your column and how much powder you’re using.

If you use a filter paper (correctly) you’re basically ensuring that the powder remains within the minimally thick filter paper and isn’t dragging into your sintered disc.

Making the work easier on your sintered disc is really helpful, especially if the quality of your primary extraction isn’t as great.

11 Likes

Bvv has some new dutch weave discs in 5um or 1um.

Looks pretty good actually:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/303463192832

Order direct from ebay to skip shipping.

2 Likes

My main goal is to not actually remediate color to a clear white but to remediate a soaking inside my cls with warm butane. So would b80 and D. E. work well if I wanted to do a soak run and have it come out yellow?

Currently I don’t soak, run balls cold solvent and run fast. I don’t dewax or nitrogen push. I get great results but I feel like i’m losing a lot of cannabinoids from time to time when I dab my end result, which is why I wanna get into powders.

Can you elaborate on that? Your extract wont be a lower thc %… Your yeild will be lower %.
Or are you saying your warm ran extract has higher potency? (It wouldnt, yes you would pull more cannabinoids but the thc per gram will be less because there will be lipids and fats)

2 Likes

:rofl::rofl::rofl: :spoon:

1 Like